Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine and Warcraft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Angry Wine and Warcraft

[edit: solved this part by accident, since no one here would help me.]

Current problem: Game periodically goes black and stays that way until I give up and shut down.

I'm running 11.04 and wine 1.2.2, which is the only version in my software center. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Graphics card:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8300 GS] (rev a1)
    Last edited by Crossbow; March 21st, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Wine and Warcraft

[disregard]
    Last edited by Crossbow; March 21st, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

Moved to Wine forum.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro

Well, I know you'll all be thrilled to hear that I got the game working. I don't know how. I just kept reinstalling it until it worked. Now it runs but I don't have video. I don't know if this is a wine problem. Probably not. I don't even know what to check. I have the current version of Nvidia.

I have audio. I keep hearing fights going on around me. If you see a female tauren wandering around the game walking into walls and shooting at trees, don't worry, that's just me.

I tried to ask for help on the game forums but it claims I don't have a character. :/

Anyway. This was just moved from the "absolute beginner" forum to the Wine forum, but I have no idea if it's a Wine problem or not. Well, it probably is - I probably shouldn't be drinking $5 wine while doing this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Search this forum for "wow+wine", and 99.99% of your answers are there.

Plus, read the stickies on the top of this forum, esp "How to get help"...
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro

First, I didn't even know this particular forum was here. It is not listed in the "how to get support" thread. I posted this in "absolute beginners" and it was moved here by a moderator. Second, searching wine+wow was the FIRST thing I did. If my question had been that obvious, I wouldn't have started a thread. If you think my answer is very obvious, please link me to it.

I still don't even know if this is a Wine problem or an Nvidia problem. If someone could even tell me that much it would be a big help.
    Last edited by Crossbow; March 21st, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Either way, SEARCH THIS FORUM (Link on top of this forum in drop down box), and READ THE STICKIES.

And yes, your answer is there, believe it or not.

This is purely a volunteer effort in here. Just because you don't want to, or think you need to search, it doesn't mean we will answer the exact same question over and over and over and over and over.

I already have a VERY good idea what the issue/fix is. But it is covered in the install.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't say I didn't want to or didn't need to search. I said that I DID search and didn't find what I need. If you did, fantastic. Feel like sharing?

I read the Wine install. I read the WoW install. I said so in my original post. (I finally got them installed and deleted that part of my post.)

I know this is volunteer, so if you don't want to help, I don't know why you are not reading what I wrote. Telling someone to go back and redo everything they just said they did is not helping, it's condescending. If you don't want to help, don't help, but don't sit here and lecture me without even reading what I said.

(edit)

For example: I found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...warcraft+black

but I am not running dual monitors.

I found a lot of threads about no image at all, but that's not the problem I am having.
    Last edited by Crossbow; March 21st, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Again: READ THE STICKIES!

Then, post back here.

Need:
    • Hardware
    • Wine Version
    • Are you running in OpenGL or D3D?
    • What else have you installed into wine?
    • What mode is wine running? (XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7?)

So, READ THE STICKIES, and THEN post.

I'm not condecending, I'm trying to help. But if you DON'T READ, I won't help.

Your choice.

If you WOULD have read the stickies, you would have already posted the info, and you would have gotten an answer.

Beans
    Distro

The version of wine I'm using *is* in my original post. So is my computer model. So is my graphics card. How can you accuse me of not reading this stuff when you didn't even read the post you're whining about?

As for what's not there: I tried it with both XP and 7 modes. I have no idea what OpenGL means.

Doesn't matter. I did a search on Google instead of this forum and found the answer right away.

In the time it took you write your very first comment on here, you could have more easily just linked me to whatever thread it is that you believe explains the problem. And now you're about to say that that wouldn't "teach" me to search, except I've already said three times that I did search, and even clicked on the search link you provided and did not find whatever it you think I'm supposed to find. So the only thing you've "taught" me here is that I should just search Google instead of the forums in the first place. So, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast