Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing icon size in Unity 2d Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Changing icon size in Unity 2d Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks a lot guys. It works. Have changed the icons to a smaller and still usable size.
    I am using 12.10 LTS (the beta version but with updates). According to the help in documentation, one can change launcher icon size via System Settings/Appearance. I tried it but there was no icon size sliding bar in my Appearance setting. Anyone using 12.10 and find this feature absent?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie25 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. It works. Have changed the icons to a smaller and still usable size.
    I am using 12.10 LTS (the beta version but with updates). According to the help in documentation, one can change launcher icon size via System Settings/Appearance. I tried it but there was no icon size sliding bar in my Appearance setting. Anyone using 12.10 and find this feature absent?
    I guess you mean 12.04.

But I fully agree to your posting - Google points out that there should be a slider on the "appearance settings" panel to control the launcher icon size.

I just installed 12.04 in a virtual machine - and this slider is not there.
    I tried the old fashioned way: installing compiz config manager; and there is an entry in the ubuntu desktop plugin page for that icon size ... but this setting doesnt have any effect.

So, how the f**##!! does one reduce the insane icon size of the launcher? And what on earth where the unity folks thinking here?

Beans

@bonzini, your instructions worked perfectly. Thanks for figuring all this out for us at the cost of a weekend!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edgue View Post
    I guess you mean 12.04.

But I fully agree to your posting - Google points out that there should be a slider on the "appearance settings" panel to control the launcher icon size.

I just installed 12.04 in a virtual machine - and this slider is not there.
    I tried the old fashioned way: installing compiz config manager; and there is an entry in the ubuntu desktop plugin page for that icon size ... but this setting doesnt have any effect.

So, how the f**##!! does one reduce the insane icon size of the launcher? And what on earth where the unity folks thinking here?
    Sorry, I am using 12.04.

It was quite fun changing the various .qml s to get the size of the icons reduced. I am relearning vi and bash. The exercise gave me a chance to use vi and bash.

Perhaps the documentation and help guys should change their page to reflect the real situation.

I am really glad to find the solution. Isn't that what Linux is about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie25 View Post
    Sorry, I am using 12.04.
    I wasnt precise either. I am struggling with icon size using unity 3d; not 2d. And so far I wouldnt find any qml files in the unity directory ...

Beans

There were some updates today and it's back to the big icons for Unity 2D. Let's see if the instructions, allowing for new line numbers, will still work.

Beans

After the latest update yesterday the icons are again large.

So I found the .qml files but some also had .bak files.
    So I made copies of the files to the Desktop, made my changes there, and moved the original .qml files and their backup files to a folder and replaced them with the files on my Desktop.
    The original .qml files were safely in a folder which i kept just in case, but that was not needed.

I suppose that some of you may be laughing but I am not comfortable using the superuser option to make such changes (the ony 2 commands used were : ' gksudo gedit ' and ' sudo mv ' ) . gedit did not show lines but that was actually better for me since i used the 'Find' option.

Hope that this will be of use for some people not that experienced (like myself).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mailc View Post
    ... gedit did not show lines ...
    Hi!
    If you open gedit and then click on Edit, Preferences, you can see Display line numbers at the top in the View tab.

Beans

this has GOT TO BE the coolest thing to do for me to have my ultimate desktop environment: i am running Cubuntu which is a Ubuntu 12.04 100% but with cinnamon desktop AND launcher (unity-2d obviously) even gnome if you want to, or full Unity 3d ..available here: www.cubuntu.fr (it's French to begin with but easily changes into english because built on full ubuntu 12.04 basis)

it's absolutely amazing....for the quick buttons i have the launcher, now in a fair size thanks to you whereas for admin stuff and programs i rarely use i have the cinnamon menu structure instead of the dash which i didn't like that much.

GOD I LOVE THIS WHOLE LINUX COMMUNITY!!!

thanks ever so much

Pieter
    Last edited by pieterio; July 24th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

Beans

Thanks!
    In 11.10 you could go into Compiz Experimental settings and change but while the option exists it doesn't seem to "take".
    This worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast