Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AWN - launcher taskmanager applet - how do I remove the green + sign on the launcher?

Beans

Re: AWN - launcher taskmanager applet - how do I remove the green + sign on the launc

Looks like the key could be as simple as dragging any icon from the programs menu directly over the plus sign on the dock. But, I can't confirm that as a definitive.
    While two people doing the same thing and it working isn't definitive proof, it did work for me as well. Thanks a million.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: AWN - launcher taskmanager applet - how do I remove the green + sign on the launc

Quote Originally Posted by dv310p3r View Post
    While two people doing the same thing and it working isn't definitive proof, it did work for me as well. Thanks a million.
    It isn't a cure all.
    After another system reboot or killing and restarting awn, the plus sign comes back whenever it feels like it.

I'm staring at it right now as it sits to the right of my exaile launcher.

It still isn't malicious. It's just there; Taunting me as it knows I have no clue if there's a checkbox in some obscure menu to disable it.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans

I have the same problem. Dragging another program's icon over it makes it disappear, but still very wierd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_GUI View Post
    Throughout today, I added the medibuntu repo, ran system updates, and added a skype icon to my AWN dock.

Somewhere, between those three things, the green plus sign has vanished.

Still at version 4.0.1.

Looks like the key could be as simple as dragging any icon from the programs menu directly over the plus sign on the dock. But, I can't confirm that as a definitive.
    I have actually tried this myself, once you add a launcher, (doesn't matter what it is), you can then delete said launcher, and the "plus" icon is gone, but when you restart AWN, it comes back, and you have to do it again, a bit of an inconvenience, but short dirty way around it for the moment.

Beans

Previous posters are correct in saying that it can be got rid of by right-clicking and either deleting it or editing it to insert the name of the program to launch, or by dropping an existing launcher over it. Unfortunately this only lasts until you logout, next time you login the horrible thing is back!

It is a bug which has been reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn/+bug/990774
    The fix mentioned in post 21 of that bug report works for me on Ubuntu 12.10 with gnome-session-fallback instead of Unity and post 22 mentions that it works on Linux Mint 13 64 Bit with MATE.

Open a terminal and type: sudo apt-get libdesktop-agnostic-cfg-gconf
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; November 22nd, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Installing libdesktop-agnostic-cfg-gconf does remove the plus-sign/cross.
    Note:
    ***You Will Have To Set Your AWN Preferences All Over Again!!!***

But, after some setup, it works.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn/+bug/990774

apt-get build-dep avant-window-navigator
    apt-get -b source avant-window-navigator
    sudo dpkg -i avant*.deb

That makes no sense. How does simply recompiling fix the problem? ... Well...
    On Debian, AWN stores its settings in '.gconf', but on Ubuntu, AWN stores its settings in *.ini files at ~/.config/desktop-agnostic/
    The difference in how AWN stores its settings is probably set by flags (or whatever) during compilation because the source and patch files downloaded by apt-get on both machines are essentially identical. There's probably a defect in the code that loads the *.ini files. Simply recompiling does not set whatever special compile-time flags and creates a set of AWN packages that stores settings in '.gconf'. Having '.gconf' around just for AWN isn't 'elegant', but it's way better than that ugly plus icon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This solution worked very well for me... As we tell here in Brazil: "Show de Bola!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12