Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diffrences of forums (Especially on Ubuntu Forums and Ubuntu-cn Forums)

Beans

Unhappy Diffrences of forums (Especially on Ubuntu Forums and Ubuntu-cn Forums)

When I at Ubuntu-cn Forums, there's someone ask "Cinnamon is not Working!", I can answer him/her "Try another music players" without any deletion or warning by admins because I'm making a suggestion or help someone. But why when I doing the same thing in here the admin said I'm bean hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    "It would appear after reviewing your posting history that you are just increasing your post count. "
    To h*** with this, not giving us rights of changing or choosing!

Also see this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1941728
    Last edited by mraandtux; March 18th, 2012 at 04:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Diffrences of forums (Especially on Ubuntu Forums and Ubuntu-cn Forums)

We expect that when answering questions, that what you post actually answers the question. Using your example question, what if the original poster isn't aware that there aren't other music players available, we have users of all ages, and skill levels, to expect them to all to have the same skill level as you is taking things for granted.

BTW Cinammon is a desktop environment, not a music player.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mraandtux View Post
    When I at Ubuntu-cn Forums, there's someone ask "Cinnamon is not Working!", I can answer him/her "Try another music players" without any deletion or warning by admins because I'm making a suggestion or help someone. But why when I doing the same thing in here the admin said I'm bean hunting?

To h*** with this, not giving us rights of changing or choosing!

Also see this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1941728
    In hindsight, you should probably realize that changing music players most likely had NOTHING to do with the problem with Cinnamon. By the way, making a post complaining about Moderators, in a place where moderators can see them, is probably not a good idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mraandtux View Post
    When I at Ubuntu-cn Forums, there's someone ask "Cinnamon is not Working!", I can answer him/her "Try another music players" without any deletion or warning by admins because I'm making a suggestion or help someone.
    Start with proper grammar. That usually wins friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We expect that when answering questions, that what you post actually answers the question ... we have users of all ages, and skill levels, to expect them to all to have the same skill level as you is taking things for granted.
    Well said. And, not everyone has the same level of knowledge, or experience, or prior interest in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by devondashla View Post
    By the way, making a post complaining about Moderators, in a place where moderators can see them, is probably not a good idea.
    +1 to that, devondashla.

Beans

I'm just made an example of misunderstanding from admin to me.

Beans

Don't you think if you came here looking for health and someone said that, you would find it rude?

"Having trouble mounting from recovery mode."

"Boot into windows partition instead."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Start with proper grammar. That usually wins friends.

That isn't and shouldn't be true. This is an international forum and English may not be the mother tongue of all users. Besides as the OP pointed out he/she is from China or knows Chinese (Mandarin?) , so proper grammar cannot be expected. As long as the meaning is conveyed satisfactorily there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the the topic goes , I reserve my judgement since it depends in whose shoes and at what situation you are in.
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Thread moved to the resolution center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have been looking into this and I have a suspicion there may be language barrier that this issue went as it did.

That said, we can't worried about what they do on other forums as they may have other criteria, policy and forum culture different from ours. So by comparing forums is not useful, every forums have their own way to do things.

Regarding replies I can understand why the staff infraction you. Replying threads like 'search the web' and 'use something different' is not very helpful and can be seen as rude in some eyes.
    Let's say you have a problem with e.g. Gnome and someone answered 'search the web' or 'use KDE' instead, would you be okay with that? Wouldn't you feel it like a letdown coming to a forum hoped for a solution then get such replies?
    It's better to let the thread go un-replied than posting something that can't be used whatsoever.

Suggesting an user to use something different is something that should be used as last resort.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Let's say you have a problem with e.g. Gnome and someone answered 'search the web' or 'use KDE' instead, would you be okay with that?
    But in Ubuntu-cn forums, replies of 'search the web' or 'use KDE/XFCE/LXDE' is ok because - newbs will reply with "Thank you, I'll try it" and/or search the web for himself.
    And also because of that, Ubuntu-cn forums users are mostly newbs.
    Is this forum (Ubuntu Forums) are unfriendly to newbs? I feel that because of quick reply. First time I thought enable quick replies by clicking the editor's button, instead you have to click the button at the down-right corner of the post!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Cinammon is a desktop environment, not a music player.
    I mean Clementime the music player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast