Thread: Problem using Bluetooth device with ALSA

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Problem using Bluetooth device with ALSA

Here's what I got: A set of Bluetooth speakers (Creative D100, though I doubt it matters) paired with my system using bluez and managed using ALSA.

I might be getting the terms wrong but I set this up several months ago.

This works fine with VLC, which is what I use most of the time. But only if I use this command:

Code:
    vlc --aout alsa --alsa-audio-device bluetooth
    Which is fine because I do almost all of my work on this system through the command line anyway, and setting up aliases is pretty easy. The problem arises when I try to use an application other than VLC. Like, for example, Chromium. If I want to play a video using my favourite web browser, I get no sound.

The problem is: bluetooth isn't listed in...anywhere... It's not listed in the mixer nor can I call it up manually. I checked '/proc/asound/cards' and it's not there either. I don't know what to do!

Now, I know there are a few solutions I could use: I could switch to wired speakers, but I don't have any that are worth anything. I also don't have a cable that can make my speakers wired. I could switch to Pulse Audio, but I don't like Pulse Audio. Primarily because (if memory serves) ALSA is needed anyway for what I'm trying to do. I'd rather have the two just interface directly. Besides, I don't see a reason why this couldn't work.

So I guess in the end my question is this: How can I add bluetooth to the list of ALSA sound devices? I know it works, so how can I tell ALSA that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Problem using Bluetooth device with ALSA

No one can help? Please, I'm really stuck.