Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Decrypter/Shrink for Ubuntu?

Beans

DVD Decrypter/Shrink for Ubuntu?

I was wondering what program out there for Ubuntu can Decrypt as well as shrink DVD's? I'm not illegally copying movies or anything, I am just backing up my entire collection to a recently bought external hard drive. I'd like to have the ability to rip the DVD and decrypt so that I can burn a copy from it in the event that I need to. Basically something that spits out a VIDEO_TS folder that I am able to burn a copy of. Any advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DVD Decrypter/Shrink for Ubuntu?

Check this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/RippingDVDs

I've only used dvd-rip and it worked for me.

Beans

I can't recommend K9copy enough. I've also used dvd-rip and its ok.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Here's another vote for K9Copy. It's in the Ubuntu repo's (software center) and it works great. You may occasionally run into a DVD with encryption it can't break, but it happens very rarely to me.

It even gives you multiple ways to control the output. You can shrink to any size you want, including DVD-5, or not at all, and end up with a full-quality DVD-DL or iso copy.

It's great for backing up your priceless DVD collection before your irresponsible friends ask to "borrow" them and end up giving you back a useless coaster full of scratches.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    Here's another vote for K9Copy. It's in the Ubuntu repo's (software center) and it works great. You may occasionally run into a DVD with encryption it can't break, but it happens very rarely to me.

It even gives you multiple ways to control the output. You can shrink to any size you want, including DVD-5, or not at all, and end up with a full-quality DVD-DL or iso copy.

It's great for backing up your priceless DVD collection before your irresponsible friends ask to "borrow" them and end up giving you back a useless coaster full of scratches.
    Tried K9 tonight, seemed great at first, but it seems like on some of my DVD's it rips them but when I play them back, there's no sound! Weird... Does anyone know why this may be or how can fix it? Ripped some great, but a couple it ripped and they have no sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To answer your question: Install Wine... That is a Window's emulation layer. Once you get DVD Decrypter and Shrink downloaded right click on th icon and go to the Permissions tab. at the very bottom is a checkbox that says something like "run as a program" .. check that checkbox.. then click APPLY and OK. Do that for both program's icons. double click those programs and install them as normal..
    Last edited by swright007; March 16th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    Tried K9 tonight, seemed great at first, but it seems like on some of my DVD's it rips them but when I play them back, there's no sound! Weird... Does anyone know why this may be or how can fix it? Ripped some great, but a couple it ripped and they have no sound.
    The only time this has ever happened to me is when I'm copying a foreign language DVD and forget to select the appropriate audio tracks. Of course I have k9Copy set up to choose an English audio track by default. I'm not sure if it comes set up this way or not.

After you select your movie in the left window, make sure you go the "selection" tab on the right and tick the box for whatever audio tracks you want.

Also make sure you have all the extra libraries required for proper dvd decoding: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy

If those things are not the issue, I don't know what to say. I'm not sure what verson of "buntu your using, I've never used K9Copy under Oneiric, but it's always worked great for me in Lucid and Natty
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"DVD Movie Backup" from the Software centre is a one click solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    "DVD Movie Backup" from the Software centre is a one click solution.
    I can't find that in the software center at all
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    The only time this has ever happened to me is when I'm copying a foreign language DVD and forget to select the appropriate audio tracks. Of course I have k9Copy set up to choose an English audio track by default. I'm not sure if it comes set up this way or not.

After you select your movie in the left window, make sure you go the "selection" tab on the right and tick the box for whatever audio tracks you want.

Also make sure you have all the extra libraries required for proper dvd decoding: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy

If those things are not the issue, I don't know what to say. I'm not sure what verson of "buntu your using, I've never used K9Copy under Oneiric, but it's always worked great for me in Lucid and Natty
    Using Ubuntu 11.04 and I did notice that on some DVD's the audio track isn't selected automatically, so that helps! Thanks. I was able to backup the majority of my "official" DVD's, and I'm impressed with K9, only 1 or 2 DVD's still didn't have sound when ripped.... Some unofficial home-made DVD's have issues with dragging the VIDEO_TS folder right onto the desktop directly or copying with K9, but obviously that's an issue with the DVD itself. Anyway, I'm happy with K9, it's very impressive. I love that it can backup a DVD AND shrink it to fit a single sgl layer DVD all in one click (unlike the old days of DVD decrypt, then shrink etc...). Impressive little program.. and it does it all FAST!!! I recommend this program to anyone who wishes to backup their DVD collection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast