Thread: scripting help needed

Beans

Question scripting help needed

I am looking to find how to call a program and send it hotkeys from a script before the script exits. Specifically, I want to start dvtm from a script, then set it up the way I prefer it before the script exits. Dvtm uses emac style hotkeys like "Ctrl+J C" to create new windows. I prefer bash or python but any scripting language will work. I want to call the script when I log into a terminal and have it set up dvtm automatically. Is there a way to send the hotkeys to the program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans

Re: scripting help needed

Thanks for the reply, but not what I am looking for. I want to start a command line program and send it hotkeys. I will not be working with any gui so xlib wont work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have a look at xdotool (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...xdotool.1.html). A command like this should work:
    Code:
    xdotool key ctrl+J C

Beans

xdotool is for X11 which I will not be using. I will be using a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or logging in remotely so I won't be running any X11 gui. If you don't know what dvtm is then the same problem could be used to write a script to start emacs and send it some hotkeys. Starting a program from a script usually kills the script or suspends it untill the called program exits. I would like to know how to override this action to send the started program hotkeys. I will be working exclusively at the terminal though so xlib or any other x librarys won't work.

Beans

Question Re: scripting help needed

xdotool doesn't work. But I'm also in need of a solution to this problem. I use dvtm inside of a screen window to show top, tty-clock, bwm-ng, and a little function to run df every few minutes all at the same time. Only using one window instead of four is great, but manually starting each of them is a huge pain. Perhaps what is needed is a solution like screen's which allows a new window to be opened from within a running instance of screen. Something like:
    Code:
    dvtm; dvtm --nest cmd0; dvtm --nest cmd1; dvtm --nest cmd2
    might be be possible after digging into the code. Or it may be possible to take advantage of the suckless community's affinity for plan9 and build a filesystem based interface. Fixing this problem would be a huge help. anyone have any other ideas?