Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

Beans

Re: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

I will be honest with you. Our network is very weak and we are slowly trying to get it to where it should be at. A couple of years ago nothing worked wired so they switched EVERYTHING to wireless and there are many different access points and even more "dead" spots!

Also I have no idea what it means to hard-code something! Sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jbruckner View Post
    I will be honest with you. Our network is very weak and we are slowly trying to get it to where it should be at. A couple of years ago nothing worked wired so they switched EVERYTHING to wireless and there are many different access points and even more "dead" spots!

Also I have no idea what it means to hard-code something! Sorry
    It means you uninstall Network Manager altogether, which would allow users to disconnect, reconnect, roam, etc., and set up two configuration files which specify which network you want and the encryption details and none other.
    student008@student008-laptop:~$ nm-applet &
    [1] 2867
    This sort of suggests it's present and running; while this suggests it's not:
    $ The program 'nm-applet' can be found in the following packages:
    * network-manager-gnome
    * mythbuntu-diskless-client
    Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
    Wierd! Let us see, please:
    Code:
    ps aux | grep -e nm -e etwork
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

student008@student008-laptop:~$ ps aux | grep -e nm -e etwork
    1000 5148 3.6 2.0 84140 21220 ? Sl 12:52 1:27 /usr/bin/gtk-gnash -u https://mail.google.com/mail/im/media-api.swf?ver=1.0.2 -U https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&v...JduGshAtaiGpTP -x 50333395 -j 1 -k 1 -F 20:21 -P allowfullscreen=true -P allowscriptaccess=sameDomain -P bgcolor=#000000 -P flashvars=dbg=true&ap=previewer&nm=yj_api0&cb=Recv _yj_api0&os=linux&& -P id=flash_yj_api0 -P name=yj_api0 -P pluginspage=http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer -P quality=high -P seamlesstabbing=false -P src=im/media-api.swf?ver=1.0.2 -P style=width: 100%; height: 100%; -P type=application/x-shockwave-flash -P wmode=window -
    1000 6896 0.0 0.0 4196 748 pts/0 S+ 13:32 0:00 grep --color=auto -e nm -e etwork

Beans
    Distro

Well, I don't see Network Manager running. You evidently don't have the applet because you don't have the underlying application! I'm not sure which Ubuntu 11.10 you can get without it, but let's try the good old manual way. Please run:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    You needn't post the results, just note the name of your network. Now do:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid yournetwork
    If there is no encryption, then do:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    If Network Manager is indeed not installed, it ought to get an IP address and be connected.

We can commit the details to a couple of files, or, if it suits your needs better, you can install NM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I made a mistake and I apologize. Nothing worse than an old newbie!

Please do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    Be sure that the firmware made it this time:
    Code:
    ls -al /lib/firmware/b43
    If it went well, you should have wireless and should see many lines like:You don't have to post it; just confirm it's there.
    Thank you! I'm a newbie to ubuntu running 12.04 on a D610 - your instructions worked perfectly! This was doing my head in!

Beans

+1

The instructions found in this thread also worked for 12.04 install on my Dell Precision M70 with BCM4306.

In summary, I had to:
    1) extract b43.zip to /lib/firmware/b43. b43.zip is available from various download sites - the copy attached to an earlier post in this thread did not work for me.

2) reinstall firmware-b43-installer to pick up the firmware

Beans

same issue. followed instructions and wireless connection worked for like a whole five minutes, then stopped working. tried moving closer to router, still only works for 1 minute each time after reboot.

have dell d600 with ubuntu 12.4(i think).

Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4324] (rev 03)

what should i do? use an older version of Ubuntu? and if so, what is the easiest way to do that?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4324] (rev 03)
    Please hook up the ethernet temporarily and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43legacy-installer
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    Any improvement?

Beans

The solution linked from post #5 worked for me, but not until I followed Chilli's advice in post #7 about unloading and reloading the driver. I had rebooted after following the initial instructions, so I was surprised I still needed to unload and reload the driver to get it picked up.
    Oh, and I had to set my router to not hide the SSID (please, no comments about whether that's security); it couldn't find it until I did that, even though I configured the driver with the correct SSID.
    Anyway, thanks everyone for taking the time to post these solutions. I'm diving into linux for the first time and I'd not be able to use ubuntu without people like you.

Beans

thanks for help, but i decided to try linux mint 13 instead. needed to use the MATE version as i believe my d600 has insufficient graphics card.

install b43 (i think) on mint, which i have to say is much easier to install things on than with ubuntu, and after a little playing around, i seem to have the wireless working.

may go back to ubuntu or use it on another laptop though, trying to decide still. hope mint has enough tech support if i need it. will see i guess
    thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast