Thread: CrossOver..is that free or something that might burn my money?

Beans

Red face CrossOver..is that free or something that might burn my money?

Hi there,
    Im am not yet trying to download crossover codeweavers game emulator. I want to asking for it, is that emulator free?...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: CrossOver..is that free or something that might burn my money?

Crossover trial is free, but to continue using the product after trial expires you have to purchase it:

http://www.codeweavers.com/store/

If you were wondering on the price.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Purchasing Crossover would not be a total waste since Codeweavers employs many of the key wine developers.

I hardly use but bought Crossover to show support for wine. Albeit it was on sale, which Codeweavers does once or twice a year.

The free version of wine should run everything Crossover can run. Mainly what Crossover does is smooth out the install/setup and managing of applications via a graphical interface instead of getting your hands dirty googling and doing command line stuff.

Purchasing also gets you dedicated support staff that you can turn to when you have wine problems.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

@Tweak42 Thanks for the kind words, and a very pithy summation of what we offer.

Tweak42 is quite right that in most cases, free Wine will run pretty much whatever CrossOver runs. There are occasional instances when we do a hack to get an important application running, but that Alexandre Julliard doesn't want in the general Wine code base. When that happens, CrossOver may run the app whereas free Wine might not. The reverse also occasionally happens. But in general there's pretty tight congruity between the two code bases.

Tweak42 is also right in pointing out that 1) we do a lot of the heavy lifting in Wine, 2) your purchase thereby directly supports the furtherance of Wine (since we give *everything* we do back to the Wine Project), and 3) your purchase also gives you someone in a support capacity to talk to when things go wrong. If you have the technical moxie to hack Wine config files and what not, and want to go it alone, hey, knock yourself out. But if having a tech ninja on your side might not hurt, you might make a purchase of our stuff.

Cheers,

-jon parshall-
    COO
    www.codeweavers.com