Thread: Failed Install of Ubuntu 11.10 on new HP Pavilion

Beans

Failed Install of Ubuntu 11.10 on new HP Pavilion

I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 on a new HP Pavilion desktop using a CD that I created from a downloaded iso. The boot process does not complete -- it hangs. It does not always hang at the same point. Sometimes I get past the point where I first see the cursor arrow for the GUI and it hangs at a blank black screen. Other times, I don't get that far with the hang occurring at some arbitrary point like "Starting Bluetooth". I used the boot CD in question to successfully boot an older HP computer. For kicks, I tried booting Ubuntu 11.4 on the HP Pavilion because I happen to have a CD provided by the Ubuntu project for thar version. It doesn't hang. It consistently takes me to a shell prompt. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.

... doug

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Failed Install of Ubuntu 11.10 on new HP Pavilion

First thing i'd do is download another copy, preferably from a torrent, and then burn it to a disc again. I've had that happen to me a few times and a new copy fixed it. If that doesn't fix it respond back.
    Nemo

Beans

> download another copy, preferably from a torrent, and then burn it to a disc again.
    > I've had that happen to me a few times and a new copy fixed it.

But, I've already tried 2 CDs neither of which work on the new problem machine and both of which work on another "older" machine. Additionally, one of the CDs is from the Ubuntu project. I can try another download and burn; but, I don't think the evidence supports the notion of two faulty CDs. I think that the evidence strongly points to the culprit being some sort of a difference between the brand new machine and the older machine (e.g., the CD drive on the new machine).

Thanks.

... doug

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Some of the new Pavilions have "Hybrid Graphics" -- two GPUs, the use of which switches on demand in response to what you're doing with the PC. Linux can't handle that well, and in some cases, results in no display.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

The 2-gpu theory sounds reasonable. Is there a work-around; or, am I just dead?

Thanks.

... doug

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If the Pavilion is a DV7, the following might work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1917897
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.