Thread: vnc server display problems -- icons not showing

Beans

vnc server display problems -- icons not showing

Hi all, I've just installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my desktop machine and am trying to serve a remote desktop to my netbook. I'm running vnc4server to serve a new X session on port 5901. (So, X session :1)

The first problem I had was that nothing loaded at all, except for a desktop background. So on the advice of a forum post I added an .xsession configuration file into my home directory with the contents:

Code:
    gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d
    This worked -- partially. But the dock icons for my home folder, terminal, and several others are simply blank. The same holds for a number of items inside the dash menu; for example if I type in 'gedit' the gedit icon is missing. And what's more, clicking on it causes a busy icon to display and the application does not get launched. I can, however, launch it from a terminal window.

At first I thought that it might be the client which was to blame... to test this I ran a remote desktop client from the same desktop box that is running vnc4server, to minimise questions of compatibility. The exact same issue occurred, though.

Does anybody know what on earth's going on here? I've attached a screenshot of the problem, showing the missing icons (compare to what it should look like, on the left), and also my .xsession-errors log, if that reveals anything useful.

Your help would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by spudtater; March 11th, 2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: attachments