Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to optimize resolution

Beans
    Hidden!

Trying to optimize resolution

NOTE: See the last two pages for a solution that worked for me... all the other pages for ways that didn't work for me but may still be a solution to you

Hi,

I am currently running 12.04 (but my question will pertain to any of the releases of Ubuntu so I don't think posting in +1 is needed).

I have a Radeon HD 6850 and the drivers coming with Ubuntu where not working properly so I downloaded and installed the drivers from the AMD/ATI site. Installed and working at the moment I am glad to say.

My issue is that I am getting a maximum resolution (I can use) of 1600x900 and my screen (LG Flatron E2251) has a naitive resolution of 1920x1080. I was finally able to achieve this in Windows by using a setting in the Catalyst Control Center (which was set to limit the maximum resolution in Windows). There is no such option in the Catalyst Control Center for Ubuntu.

So I started looking around and found this site - and I tried to add the resolution of 1920x1080 at a refresh rate of 60hz.

First I:

Code:
    nlsthzn@circle:~$ cvt 1920 1080 60
    # 1920x1080 59.96 Hz (CVT 2.07M9) hsync: 67.16 kHz; pclk: 173.00 MHz
    Modeline "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
    I then:

Code:
    xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
    Problem is on the next step:

Code:
    nlsthzn@circle:~$ xrandr --addmode CRT1 1920x1080_60.00
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  156 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  18 (RRAddOutputMode)
      Serial number of failed request:  49
      Current serial number in output stream:  50
    Any assistance would be appreciated!

Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; May 17th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trying to optimize resolution

Bump for now trying this in Kubuntu 11.10 and getting exactly the same results...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@404

Well have you already tried this command?:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    above command might be able to make a new config file to fit your hardware...

Regards,
    Tista

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    @404

Well have you already tried this command?:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    above command might be able to make a new config file to fit your hardware...

Regards,
    Tista
    Hi,

Now on Kubuntu 12.04 (finally realized I had to remove the ATI drivers from AMD themselves and install the driver that comes with Kubuntu to be able to successfully boot).

Tried what I tried in OP and getting the same error. Tried running sudo aticonfig --initial and no luck. Made some edits to xorg.conf (not sure what to do there but tried what made sense) and still no luck getting the resolution up :/...

Beans
    Hidden!

BUMP for asking if this thread would be better suited elsewhere?

Beans

I don't know if it still works nowadays but i read a blog post about resolution problems before, apparently you can add that resolution to the xorg file?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    I don't know if it still works nowadays but i read a blog post about resolution problems before, apparently you can add that resolution to the xorg file?
    BUMP for having tried that before... and for moving this from +1

Beans
    Hidden!

Greetings again... I decided to let this issue sleep until the release of 12.04 so now after a fresh install I can say that it still remains.

So again I appeal to all of the guru's out there to please assist me in getting my resolution up to its native 1920x1080.

The highest I can select in the Catalyst Control Center is 1600x1200 (which will let my screen show an "out of range" error with no way of increasing it to anything higher).

If I install the latest drivers from ATI I can't set the resolution from the Catalyst Control Center at all and it is not detected properly there.

Help me please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi not found.

I don't have much experience with ATI/AMD cards (though I had lots of wrestles with Nvidia cards), but there may be some clues on the Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Could you pastebin it so we can take a look?

Kind Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi not found.

I don't have much experience with ATI/AMD cards (though I had lots of wrestles with Nvidia cards), but there may be some clues on the Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Could you pastebin it so we can take a look?

Kind Regards.
    Hi,

Not at home right now (so I will post it much later)... should I post this log after trying xrandr or just as is (I have a clean install again)?

Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast