Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LVM data storage? (10.04.4 LTS)

Beans

Re: LVM data storage? (10.04.4 LTS)

i may have been convinced, lol. i just have 2 main questions:

1. about how much of a speed hit could i expect? and,
    2. would the individual volumes still be accessable? (if they are, then backups become stupid easy)

i may try a VM later, but if you have answers now, gigitty!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Drak3 View Post
    i may have been convinced, lol. i just have 2 main questions:

1. about how much of a speed hit could i expect? and,
    2. would the individual volumes still be accessable? (if they are, then backups become stupid easy)

i may try a VM later, but if you have answers now, gigitty!
    1. I've only been able to get about 45MB/s across the network via scp or NFS to an mhddfs share. This is still much faster than most consumer grade NAS devices, but slow compared to what I'm used to.

2. Yes, the individual drives are all accessible because they need to be mounted prior to mhddfs making it's virtual mount, so backups have just become easy. Also, it doesn't span files across two drives, so you don't have to worry about parts of a file being on different drives.

Please do try it out in a VM, so you can really understand how it works. Even try setting up a backup for it, and try restoring the backups. It's always a good idea to test everything before you actually deploy and rely on something

Beans

Well, I believe I am in your debt good sir!

mhddfs is working excellently so far. there is actually one little curiosity ive noticed; file transfer speed within the server is on par with the individual disks, but the transfer speed over the network is about half of what it was before, but its still >10MB/s in most cases. not a complaint, just interesting--internally little to no speed penalty, externally not so much...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No problem I'm glad you got it setup and working. I haven't seen speeds that low, but it would depend on what protocol you're using to transfer with. NFS will be much faster than CIFS/SAMBA.

Beans

I actually discovered that my partitions on the new hard drives were misaligned (dont know HOW I managed to do that), and after fixing that, and restoring, the transfer is about where is was before; >20MB/s. I mostly just use samba for streaming. For major uploading and downloading I usually use sftp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12