Thread: Installing new programming language, Julia

Beans

Installing new programming language, Julia

Some of you may be aware that there's a new programming language on the block.

http://julialang.org/

It's called Julia, and it aims to provide the speed of C, the coding approach of Matlab/Octave, and the additional functionalities of things like Ruby, Perl, and Shell, all within the one language, with both an interpreter and a compiler.

Anyway, I'm interested in trying this new language out, as I'm a major user of octave/matlab. However, the binary version didn't work, and I'm concerned about the source version not being sufficiently straightforward - too much risk of making a mistake, as I'm not well-versed in the nuances of compiling things like this from source.

Has someone managed to get Julia to work on Ubuntu 11.10? If you have, could you provide instructions on how to do it?

EDIT: OK, it wasn't nearly as complicated as I was expecting. These Julia guys have thought of quite a lot, it seems.
    Last edited by Aielyn; March 8th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

Re: Installing new programming language, Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    Some of you may be aware that there's a new programming language on the block.

http://julialang.org/

It's called Julia, and it aims to provide the speed of C, the coding approach of Matlab/Octave, and the additional functionalities of things like Ruby, Perl, and Shell, all within the one language, with both an interpreter and a compiler.

Anyway, I'm interested in trying this new language out, as I'm a major user of octave/matlab. However, the binary version didn't work, and I'm concerned about the source version not being sufficiently straightforward - too much risk of making a mistake, as I'm not well-versed in the nuances of compiling things like this from source.

Has someone managed to get Julia to work on Ubuntu 11.10? If you have, could you provide instructions on how to do it?

EDIT: OK, it wasn't nearly as complicated as I was expecting. These Julia guys have thought of quite a lot, it seems.
    yo lucky guy yep tried installing all the dependancies come a little unstuck but i did manage to get most of them ...ended up just running it in virtualbox for a play session as it was considerably quicker using the binary... will try it in wine too see what gives hey...lol