Thread: 11.10 Server does not reconnect to network after router reboot (DHCP or Static IP)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

11.10 Server does not reconnect to network after router reboot (DHCP or Static IP)

Hello,

If I reboot my router (Netgear DGN2200) Ubuntu 11.10 Server does not reconnect to the network. This is over a wired connection and I have tried it with both a reserved IP Address over DHCP and a static IP Address configuration as follows:

/etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    network 192.168.1.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

Both connection methods fail after a router reboot i.e. no ping, no ssh, no http. I have never had to do anything special to ensure reconnection before - but am I missing something?

Thanks

S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 11.10 Server does not reconnect to network after router reboot (DHCP or Static IP

Maybe (just maybe) is a driver/chipset related stuff when it can't detect Ethernet signal is back.

Have tried already to unplug/plug Ethernet cable again?

Also, I'll give a try to

$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and/or

$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    $ sudo ifconfig eth0 up

You can combine this steps one by one and see if any restabishes your connection.

This will not solve your issue but can give a clue or more info onto where is the issue.

I don't believe your network parameteres are wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 11.10 Server does not reconnect to network after router reboot (DHCP or Static IP

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I tried everything you suggested with identical results, i.e. no reconnection after the link was lost. I do have clues in syslog though, showing the kernel has detected the ink failure:

Mar 6 22:18:21 stripey kernel: [ 909.119144] 8139too 0000:02:0c.0: eth1: link down
    Mar 6 22:18:34 stripey kernel: [ 921.276646] 8139too 0000:02:0c.0: eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

I guess the problem may lie with the Netgear router or something to do with my cabling (the cables go through the wall via a junction box).

Anyway thanks again for your reply and if you have anything else to add please tell me!

Cheers

S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello

Syslog seems to show your using eth1 not eth0

You should change eth0 in your /etc/network/interfaces file
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that! I added another ethernet card to continue my testing and see if a previous reply was right with regard drivers to the onboard NIC. So in actual fact the syslog eth1 references are correct, even though the previous interfaces config I posted showed eth0. The point being is that my problem remains and the eth1/eth0 discrepancy above is due to testing not misconfiguration!

Anyway thanks for your reply.

S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Test / simulate the same thing with another router to completelly discard if it is a Ubuntu misconfiguration or a faulty router.

Then you may change this thread to Solved