Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates and Package Installer Problem

Beans

Updates and Package Installer Problem

hey there everyone. earlier i've posted a thread on my wired internet not working, which from help i have resolved it, as it seemed to have been a problem with the ipv6. the following thread:

Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8262760#post8262760
    now there is something else i have a problem with. as the title states it's to do with updating and the package installer. the problem is, though i can use the internet for browsing and such now, i can't install anything nor can i update.

in the thread above i said that when i was in the package installer, when i click on something i want to install, there is no "install" or "uninstall" button, and after a bit of playing around i managed to get those two buttons. however the installation when i decide to install would not continue nor would i be able to download the specific program.

this is the same with the updates. the OS picks up what i need to install but i am unable to download and install the files.

also this is the message i'm getting with trying to install compizconfig-settings-manager and adobe-flash. adobe was downloaded from the adobe website, but it seems that there was still a need to download packages after getting the flash file from their website.

Code:
    requires installation of untrusted packages
    the action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

>details
    compizconfig-settings-manager python-compizconfig
    with adobe flash

Code:
    requires installation of untrusted packages
    the action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

>details
    flashplugin-installer
    so yeah, if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. also i've currently got win7 installed on the laptop that i want to use ubuntu on (dell inspiron 640 m), so posting back results from the command line may take a while (as i will reinstall ubuntu 9.10).

and one last thing. if there is any commands you would like me to type in the terminal, please write me the full set of commands to type, i'm a terminal noob you see =D.

oh yes and thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Updates and Package Installer Problem

I have the same problem and got no reply to my post. I disabled my ipv6 (because my router does not support it) and my internet, skype and network are fine. However I cannot update. I can do an occasional apt-get update but I have to go to software sources, choose other, select the best option then do the apt-get immediately. But update manager will not connect to do updates. I have tried wired as well as wireless with same results, as well as connecting at work.
    I am stuck as to a solution.

Beans

Posting to help others:
    I just received the same error message. I used apt-get on the command line to install what i needed, but I didnt want to have to revert to that all the time. I like browsing the software manager for games and stuff. So after installing 2 packages on the command line, I went searching for the issue.
    My steps were:
    System>Administration>Software Sources
    I had "Proprietary Drivers" and "Software Restricted by copyright or legal issues" checked.
    I unchecked the two of these. I then went to the Authentication tab. I clicked "restore defaults", although nothing changed.
    I closed the window, and tried the Software manager again.
    Worked like a charm. Don't know how the settings were changed in the first place, but whatever. Hope it helps somebody browsing, since at this moment, this is google's #1 result for the error message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same problem, and those steps--for whatever reason--worked perfectly. I was attempting to install K9Copy and received the same error message.

Beans

I just had the same problem today, and the steps in the above post worked like a charm. Thanks.

Beans

I am also having this problem. I'm quite frustrated at this. My story is:

Basically this morning I started up my laptop and went on facebook, I found a new notification and it was my friend writting to me (to cut the story short), I replied back to him but forgot to click "Send message". Left my laptop for about 10 minutes, Came back, logged back on (Since it went on screen saver) and and my keyboard suddenly wouldnt write anything. I didn't experiment on this since I thought a restart of the computer would solve this problem. I restarted my computer and my keyboard started working again. Little did I know that other things stopped working, like for starters my Wireless driver suddenly disappeared from my Network icon, only the "Wired connection" was displayed. Then my sound driver was unistalled. I looked into it and it seems my computer had updated without me knowing and this update had unistalled my wireless broadcom driver and sound. I plugged in my laptop to the ethernet (Since thats the only way I could get on my router) And tried to download several wireless programs from ubuntu software centre, and I am getting the same message that other people on this thread have been getting.

My post may have to be moved to another thread. But I would like a suggestion to either my Wireless problem/Sound problem Or my Ubuntu Software Centre error. The error is "Requires installation of untrusted packages. The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

I tried what Johnofwax posted and like others, it worked like a charm! Thanks! I'll keep you updated on my wireless problem/sound problem. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've had the same problem when tried to install the restricted extras. As for me it worked ok just to open the "Software Sources" window, uncheck the "Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)", close the window saving settings, open the "Software Sources" window again, check the checkbox back and close the window. Thanks, johnofwax!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by johnofwax View Post
    Posting to help others:
    I just received the same error message. I used apt-get on the command line to install what i needed, but I didnt want to have to revert to that all the time. I like browsing the software manager for games and stuff. So after installing 2 packages on the command line, I went searching for the issue.
    My steps were:
    I had "Proprietary Drivers" and "Software Restricted by copyright or legal issues" checked.
    I unchecked the two of these. I then went to the Authentication tab. I clicked "restore defaults", although nothing changed.
    Worked like a charm. Don't know how the settings were changed in the first place, but whatever. Hope it helps somebody browsing, since at this moment, this is google's #1 result for the error message.
    Worked!
    SEX, Now that I have your attention please read my post
    Linux For Life
    Just for future purposes "You're Welcome"

Beans

Smile Re: Updates and Package Installer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by johnofwax View Post
    Posting to help others:
    My steps were:
    Works like a charm
    Ty

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast