Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of tactics for those of you who want Unity3d to support Linux

Beans

Change of tactics for those of you who want Unity3d to support Linux

For those who don't know, Unity3d is a hugely popular closed source game engine that's largely targeted towards indie developers. Many games are developed using it, and the engine supports multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, Android and iPhone.

However, it doesn't support Linux, and therin lies the problem. If it did, Linux users would suddenly have a surge of developers releasing their games for Linux since it should be relatively easy to publish a Unity game for the linux platform. This has led to a lot of protest, huge feedback of people wanting Unity, and even some half announcmenets about Linux being supported but nothing definite.

However, we finally got a clear and official answer here: http://richardcuddy.com/2011/12/unit...uest-continues

It turns out, we've been taking the wrong strategy, we shouldn't be harassing Unity Technologies to port their engine to Linux, we should be telling the indie developers who use Unity about how we'd be interested in their game if it was supported by Linux. With enough feedback, the developers will realise the importance of Linux, in turn, give their feedback to Unity Technologies. If enough of this type of feedback is received by Unity Technologies, they'll realise that their own paying customers want Linux support, and so will be more encouraged to give it.

So if there's a Unity3d game out there you'd like to play on Linux, please, let the developer know this. With enough action, we can get a great quality and well supported game engine onto Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Change of tactics for those of you who want Unity3d to support Linux

Already way ahead of you on this, and I have been letting them know of the possibility of NaCl and Flash exports to support linux as well. I've been messaging them long before that, as well as harassing Unity3D once a month or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good thinking. I'd love to see some favorite Unity3d games here I can check out and potentially have a dialog with the developers about.
    Check out my San Diego Padres blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Makes sense. Or does it? It sounds rather like a case of "pass the buck" in a game of chicken and egg. Not particularly helpful.

Pester the game devs... they pester Unity Technologies. And then what? There're a few devs on the Unity forums who have been asking about Linux support for a while now, and getting nowhere. Would this strategy have any more chance of success? Doubtful. It's just a case of deflecting the ire of users.
    Last edited by Sslaxx; March 7th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Makes sense. Or does it? It sounds rather like a case of "pass the buck" in a game of chicken and egg. Not particularly helpful.

Pester the game devs... they pester Unity Technologies. And then what? There're a few devs on the Unity forums who have been asking about Linux support for a while now, and getting nowhere. Would this strategy have any more chance of success? Doubtful. It's just a case of deflecting the ire of users.
    Bingo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post

I dunno.

The post I linked shows a clear business reason why they're not supporting Linux (ie. they don't believe it will shift 170 Pro licenses a year). It's not just about a few developers asking for Linux support, it's about enough of them asking for it so that Unity can make a financial estimate that will see an investment in Linux turn out to be worthwhile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wasted effort.

Better Help the Game Engine that Blender Foundation already have working at equal state-of-the-art level

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Change of tactics for those of you who want Unity3d to support Linux

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    Wasted effort.

Better Help the Game Engine that Blender Foundation already have working at equal state-of-the-art level
    This = This * 1000;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd love to see Unity on Linux, just so more games could be available.

Sadly, I do not think we'll see a Linux port of the engine for a long time. Unity is a business, and with all businesses they are out to make a profit. Statistically, I'm not sure the team behind Unity could find a reason to invest the resources and money while continually developing other versions of the engine.

If it does happen, I think it will happen when Linux starts to see more users. It is kind of a double-edged sword, considering having the Unity Game Engine would mean more games and more games could possibly mean more users for Linux. A company needs to invest and take a risk if they are going to spend so much money on porting a complex application like Unity. With the economy bad in many countries, I'm not surprised that many won't.

I would be ecstatic if it did happen, though. Maybe Unity will take the risk, who knows. I hope more software companies take that avenue in the future. Linux is great.

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    Wasted effort.

Or you could go with that. Open-Source alternative. Many open-source applications can rival commercial ones. I mean, Ubuntu is open-source and free. It's doing great.

Only time will tell, I guess.
    Last edited by Carpentr; March 9th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It turns out, we've been taking the wrong strategy
    No, we're not, we can't do anything because they don't want to face the chicken and egg problem
    Dell Inspiron 1464
    Intel Core-i3 @ 2.13Ghz | 4G 1066Mhz DDR3
    GMA HD | Intel SSD 80Gb |
    Running Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast