Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can not get Time Machine working

Beans

Can not get Time Machine working

Hi !

Have installed Ubuntu Server 11.10 64-bit to serve as NAS for Windows (Win 7), Linux and Mac's (OS X Lion). Everything else has been quite easy to set-up:
    - SSH
    - VNC
    - Webmin
    etc. , but I can not get Time Machine folders visible from Ubuntu. Have tried many different solutions found from these forums & via Google e.g. : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1895084

So basically what I have done:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install netatalk
    3.Configured :
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf
    adding end of line:
    Code:
    - -tcp -noddp -uamlist uams_dhx.so,uams_dhx2_passwd.so -nosavepassword
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
    adding:
    Code:
    /mnt/nas/TimeMachine "TimeMachine" allow:geroge,ringo,paul,yoko cnidscheme:dbd options:tm
    /mnt/nas/Data "Data" allow:geroge,ringo,paul,yoko cnidscheme:dbd
    /mnt/nas/Media "Media" allow:geroge,ringo,paul,yoko cnidscheme:dbd
    /mnt/nas/Users/george "george" allow:george cnidscheme:dbd
    /mnt/nas/Users/ringo "ringo" allow:ringo cnidscheme:dbd
    /mnt/nas/Users/paul "paul" allow:paul cnidscheme:dbd
    /mnt/nas/Users/yoko "yoko" allow:yoko cnidscheme:dbd
    5. Installing Avahi:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon
    6. Configuring Avahi:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/nsswitch.conf
    Adding : mdns
    6.1 New file:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/avahi/services/afpd.service
    File :
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
    <!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
    <service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
    <service>
    <type>_afpovertcp._tcp</type>
    <port>548</port>
    </service>
    <service>
    <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
    <port>0</port>
    <txt-record>model=Xserve</txt-record>
    </service>
    </service-group>
    7. Restarted Avahi:
    Code:
    sudo service avahi-daemon restart
    and Netatalk
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/netatalk restart
    8. Saw Ubuntu folder in Finder and tried to connect to it :
    Code:
    afp://<server ip>
    but get error message saying: There was a problem connecting to server <server ip>

So basicly I have installed and configured Netatalk & Avahi according to these instruction but can not connect to server even manually (afp://<server ip>)

My netatalk version is:
    Code:
    an@ubuntu:/tmp$ dpkg -s netatalk
    Package: netatalk
    Priority: extra
    Section: net
    Installed-Size: 2884
    Maintainer: Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
    Architecture: amd64
    Version: 2.2.1.1-0utm5+oneiric
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.11), libdb4.8, libgcrypt11 (>= 1.5.0-0), libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.8+dfsg), libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libwrap0 (>= 7.6-4~), perl, netbase, libpam-modules
    Recommends: lsof, rc, db4.8-util, procps, cracklib-runtime, libpam-cracklib
    Suggests: texlive-base-bin, groff, quota, db4.2-util, db4.7-util
    Conffiles:
     /etc/pam.d/netatalk 01dc501e2d43ffc9f76b338e24a55e80
     /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system 6e955fbed0833d5027c9dad13f381a6e
     /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default addb4bbe61e731ddac52269927813735
     /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf 3e4acf07d8c5efe9ecab106a3f801386
     /etc/init.d/netatalk 991215e2fb6bcace7d4871cf880f9a59
     /etc/logcheck/violations.ignore.d/netatalk c7889e80639044d35c0bd614410f1891
     /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/netatalk cbc2dade09bce7bfa4fcb4cc0c4f9ba6
     /etc/default/netatalk cebe96b362b30d3ceb5a2b2f2a3cd4f6
    Description: AppleTalk user binaries
     Netatalk is an implementation of the AppleTalk Protocol Suite for
     BSD-derived systems.  The current release contains support for
     EtherTalk Phase I and II, DDP, RTMP, NBP, ZIP, AEP, ATP, PAP, ASP, and
     AFP.
     This package contains all daemon and utility programs as well as Netatalk's
     static libraries.
    Homepage: http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/
    I am quite puzzled and do not know what to try/change next, any ideas ?

Beans

Re: Can not get Time Machine working

Do you mean that the Time Machine client on your Mac cannot access or see previously-written data files and directories, or that other non-Mac OS X systems are unable to access the data?

Not sure about the former, but with the latter quite possibly you might need to ensure you have all the necessary filesys support on the relevant systems.

Time Machine partitions, IIRC, are Mac OS Extended Journaled, so you need to make sure you have full support for that before this is likely to work.

Also, I thought Apple was very restrictive in what it would let a user write to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Do you mean that the Time Machine client on your Mac cannot access or see previously-written data files and directories, or that other non-Mac OS X systems are unable to access the data?
    I am setting up new fileserver with Ubuntu, so there is no previously written data. What I am trying to achieve is to use my new Ubuntu server to store Time Machine back-ups. I am able to connect server successfully with SMB, but that is not enough for Time Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Not sure about the former, but with the latter quite possibly you might need to ensure you have all the necessary filesys support on the relevant systems.

Time Machine partitions, IIRC, are Mac OS Extended Journaled, so you need to make sure you have full support for that before this is likely to work.
    Based on many how-to's I have been reading I thought that file system does not matter ? e.g. http://greghesp.com/2011/09/how-to-s...are-on-ubuntu/
    and here: http://www.trollop.org/2011/07/23/os...-netatalk-2-2/

It seems that it is rather issue of Netatalk and AFP3.3 compatibility (lack of a “replay cache”, which was introduced in AFP 3.3 )

Many seem to have succeeded to fix however this, unfortunately not me even I have spent many hours trying to follow different instructions

Beans

Remember that you'll also be playing a sort of cat-and-mouse game here, since Apple fundamentally does not want you using anything other than a local HDD or an Apple "Time Capsule" network drive. If you get this to work, then good luck, but there's no way to know if Apple won't at some point brick your solution and, therefore, your data backups.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11101453

This worked for me under Ubuntu 11.10 as my server and Mac OS X 10.7. It works great, I decided not to share my home folder in ubuntu on my network. This method doesn't require you to enter the command in terminal (on OS X) to allow TM to backup to unsupported disks. Good luck

Beans

Thanks !

I tried these instructions and now Time Machine sees at least my Ubuntu share (finder as well). Unfortunately it cannot connect still, after inputting my username and pwd I get error message: There was a problem connecting to the server “ubuntu.local”.

What to try next ? I guess this has to do something with access rights ?

EDIT: there is some error messages related to this problem in my iMac's log:
    7.3.2012 18.58.46,000 kernel: ASP_TCP CheckReqQueueSize: increasing req queue from 32 to 128 entries. so 0xffffff800bfa9108

7.3.2012 18.58.56,000 kernel: ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 2 error 89 reqID 4 flags 0x9 afpCmd 0x13 so 0xffffff800bfa9108
    Last edited by pinjan; March 7th, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: adding error log

Beans

I gave up. It seems that Apple logo is requirement on backup device for Time machine to work. Fortunately there are other vendors who provide backup solutions free. Now backup is running and will be ready next morning

Beans

Just for info what is error message on Ubuntu server side:

Code:
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]: ===============================================================
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]: INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 6951 (2.2-beta4)
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]: ===============================================================
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]: BACKTRACE: 3 stack frames:
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]:  #0 /usr/sbin/afpd(netatalk_panic+0x1c) [0x7fface76449c]
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]:  #1 /usr/sbin/afpd(+0x4d59c) [0x7fface76459c]
    Mar  8 11:27:14 ubuntu afpd[6951]:  #2 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x36420) [0x7ffacd740420]
    Seems to be something wrong there, just do not have any idea myself how to troubleshoot this.

Beans

Ok, just couldn't leave this issue so googled a bit about this panic and found this:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...42&atid=108642

Especially this is interesting:
    Code:
    Workaround can be found at
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netatalk/+bug/810732.

In short, edit the '-uamlist' in /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf and replace
    'uams_dhx2.so' with 'uams_dhx2_passwd.so' so that it looks like for
    instance '-uamlist uams_dhx.so,uams_dhx2_passwd.so' and restart netatalk.
    Changed that in my afpd.conf and now it works !

Concidering I am newbie for Linux (have just few days experience) I am gonna tap my self now on my shoulder and say : Good Job ! I think I deserve one beer tonight for solving this issue myself

Beans

Ok, so TimeMachine is doing backup's nicely, but how about when you try to "Enter Time Machine" ?

Well, that did not work. However after spending few hours I was able to solve that as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast