Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extend USB cable?

Beans
    Hidden!

Extend USB cable?

So I'm planning to setup a home surveillance system using webcams on the cheap so that means no wireless ones. So can I use Ethernet cable to extend the webcam's USB cable to about 15 to 25 ft or will there be loss of data?
    Ab Aeterno Scientia Potentia est

http://thevoid.in/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Will this work?

Hi. Couple of things.

1/ The Community Cafe is not for support threads. From the top of this page:

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work. Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here.
    I have asked the mods to move your post to the appropriate forum;

2/ Please use descriptive thread titles rather than 'Will this work?'. You will have a lot more success getting help. Help us help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Extend USB cable?

Moved and renamed.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry about that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

S'cool. We're all learning here! How are you going to plug an ethernet cable into the USB cable? Have you got some kind of adapter?

Max length for hi-speed USB 2 cable is apparently about 5 metres so regardless of what's going into the ethernet cable you are still trying to send the signal 25 metres (plus possibly down to another 5 metre USB cable at the other end and into the camera). Don't think USB is going to pump that hard. On the other hand, I've had 20 metres fine from ethernet cable (and the specification for Cat 5 cable is 100). What's the socket on the cameras; USB or ethernet? From your post I figure USB.

If the cameras have ethernet, no sweat. You could probably just use a cheap 4 port router (or even the router you're now using if it has ethernet ports; just plug the cameras in and give 'em IP addresses).

Really need to know more about what hardware you have, what the cameras are capable of and a more detailed picture of what you're trying to achieve.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 5th, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

usb devices can only go 3 meters before they start losing data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lubi View Post
    usb devices can only go 3 meters before they start losing data
    You can get "boosted" USB cables. Do they work? I have no experience with them. This is 20 meters. There are other lengths.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Ethernet is less restrictive re distance. Isn't it something like 100 meters+?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    You can get "boosted" USB cables. Do they work? I have no experience with them. This is 20 meters. There are other lengths.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    I see no reason why they wouldn't. Good call. My next suggestion was going to be an elaborate series of mirrors.

One point: I noticed in my research that some are for USB 1.1 and others for 2.0. Make sure you are using 2.0 as it is faster.

http://www.smartvm.com/usb-extender-c1326.htm

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    S'cool. We're all learning here! How are you going to plug an ethernet cable into the USB cable? Have you got some kind of adapter?

Max length for hi-speed USB 2 cable is apparently about 5 metres so regardless of what's going into the ethernet cable you are still trying to send the signal 25 metres (plus possibly down to another 5 metre USB cable at the other end and into the camera). Don't think USB is going to pump that hard. On the other hand, I've had 20 metres fine from ethernet cable (and the specification for Cat 5 cable is 100). What's the socket on the cameras; USB or ethernet? From your post I figure USB.

If the cameras have ethernet, no sweat. You could probably just use a cheap 4 port router (or even the router you're now using if it has ethernet ports; just plug the cameras in and give 'em IP addresses).

Really need to know more about what hardware you have, what the cameras are capable of and a more detailed picture of what you're trying to achieve.

The webcams are USB and I'm planning to use 6MP or more. Though I dont have no official degree in electronics or anything (Im still goin to school ) one thing I have learned is that the normal USB cable have very bad insulation so I was just guessing that ethernet cables would be better(pls feel free to correct me ). If extender cables are needed I would have to make my own lol because its kinda hard to find them where I live.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The extender cables are the only way to go else you are limited to 5 metres. Again, I don't know how you would go about connecting an ethernet cable to a USB cable (without adapters) and wouldn't know how you'd make your own extenders. Maybe you could ask one of the tech teachers at school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast