Thread: Theora support in dvd:rip

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Theora support in dvd:rip

Hello,

I usually rip dvds using dvd::rip using ffmpeg as video codec and vorbis as audio codec.

In the drop down list of the "ffmpeg/af6 codec" I can oly choose between mpeg4 and h264.

As my ffmpeg also supports theora, I would like to know I could I add theora support in dvd::rip too.

I googled a lot without finding a way .. only this old thread indicates to change the combo box of the codec widget but without saying how ..

Is there anyone knowing this?

Alternatively as dvd::rip uses ffmpeg, is there a way to know which command it uses while you rip a dvd? In this way I would easily change the ffmpeg command to use libtheora instead.

Thanks in advance for any help

Beans
    Distro

Re: Theora support in dvd:rip

Ok.. I found that in /usr/share/perl5/Video/DVDRip/GUI/Context.pm you can change the dropdown list of the ffmpeg codecs ..

I changed
    Code:
    tc_video_af6_codec_presets => [ "mpeg4", "h264" ],
    to
    Code:
    tc_video_af6_codec_presets => [ "mpeg4", "h264", "libtheora" ],
    and actually the dropdown menu shows libtheora too .. but choosing it I get a long error which basically says:
    Code:
    Command exits with failure code:
    Command: mkdir -m 0775 -p '/home/foo/dvdrip-data/input/tmp' && cd /home/foo/dvdrip-data/input/tmp && mkdir -p /home/foo/dvdrip-data/input/avi/001 && execflow -n 19 transcode -H 10 -a 0 -T 1,-1,1 -x dvd -i \/media\/mymount -w 1728,50 -F libtheora -b 192 --a52_drc_off -f 24,1 -Z 640x360 -R 1 -y ffmpeg,ogg -m /home/foo/dvdrip-data/input/avi/001/output.ogm -E 44100 -J resample -o /dev/null --progress_meter 2 --progress_rate 25 && echo EXECFLOW_OK
    So doing that, I discover that dvd::rip doesn't use ffmpeg as I thought .. it still tries to rip the dvd using transcode!

So now ... as dvd::rip works like that and I don't know much about transcode would you please help me in:
    1. understand if transcode support theora?
    2. understand if my transcode support theora?
    3. which codec string am I supposed to use as -F parameter so I can put it in the above dropdown list accordingly?

I cannot find those information by myself .. it seems from my googlings that transcode doesn't support theora at all .. and this surprise me a lot

On a side note can anyone explain me why if I choose ffmpeg as video codec dvd::rip still uses transcode? Isn't this confusing?
    Last edited by tanoloco; March 3rd, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The transcode manual says that one can build transcode with theora support enabling it with --enable-theora while use ./configure .. it seems that it's disabled by default

So apparently transcode can support theora .. I can I know if my version
    Code:
    $ transcode -v
    transcode v1.1.5 (C) 2001-2003 Thomas Oestreich, 2003-2009 Transcode Team
    which the one in the repository of Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric was built with such a support before trying to rebuild it? ...

I can I get a list of codecs supported by my transcode?

Beans
    Distro

In the buildlog on launchpad it's written that the version in the repository was already built with the --enable-theora configuration option enabled ..

According to the transcode man page
    -F codec_string
    encoder parameter strings [module dependent]. The -F parameter has
    different meanings for different export modules. Those meanings are
    documented in transcode_export(1) manual page.
    while in transcode_export man page I cannot see theora mentioned .. so what can I do?
    Last edited by tanoloco; March 3rd, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

If a run the above transcode commad without the -F option I get a long error with the following lines in it:
    Code:
    You must chose a codec by supplying '-F <codecname>'. A list of supported codecs can be obtained with 'transcode -y ffmpeg -F list'.
    If I type
    Code:
    $ transcode -y ffmpeg -F list
    [transcode] critical: no input sources avalaible
    I'm getting crazy here !!

Anyone can help me?
    I'm one step away from giving it up