Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nvidia Geforce GT 520M (Display Driver)on ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Arrow nvidia Geforce GT 520M (Display Driver)on ubuntu 11.10

hello, i have activated my Graphic Driver from " System settings > additional driver " , but my Card is still unknown , after run this command " sudo nvidia-xconfig " .. it boot me in text mode , can u please make a xorg.conf file for me HELP! i won't go back to WIN

my hardware info :
    aspire 4752ZG (acer),
    intelR CoreTM B960 processer,
    2GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GT 520M

(OOP!! wrong category please Delete THIS i didn't see any delete option)
    Last edited by aithox; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: nvidia Geforce GT 520M (Display Driver)on ubuntu 11.10

Hi!, aithox,

The 'Additional Hardware' installed driver will not support your Nvidia GT520M card; you need v290.10 or the latest 295.x from Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers.

Download the .run file, make it executable and run it.

It will create its own xorg.conf file.

If you need more detailed instructions there is a good readme file with the download; or post a request here.

EDIT: BTW: System Info may still show the graphics as "Unknown" even when it is working correctly.

Chao!, bogan
    Last edited by bogan; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Sys Info note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, aithox,

The 'Additional Hardware' installed driver will not support your Nvidia GT520M card; you need v290.10 or the latest 295.x from Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers.

Chao!, bogan
    I think the most recent standard drivers for ubuntu are 285.05.09 which should work for his card unless I'm missing something here.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Could you post the result of these commands?
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -i vga

lshw -C display
    Regards.

Beans

i've tried NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.20.run from Nvidia.com ..but its failed to boot in GUI

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

Beans

Code:
    aithox@linuxMint ~ $ lspci -nn | grep -i vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0106] (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0df7] (rev a1)
    aithox@linuxMint ~ $ sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for aithox: 
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: NVIDIA Corporation
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:a2000000-a2ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:2000(size=128) memory:a3000000-a307ffff
      *-display
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 09
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:42 memory:a3400000-a37fffff memory:80000000-8fffffff ioport:3000(size=64)
    Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Could you post the result of these commands?
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -i vga

lshw -C display
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Posted by bobhuber:
    I think the most recent standard drivers for ubuntu are 285.05.09 which should work for his card unless I'm missing something here.
    Nvidia-current, which is what Additional Hardware installs is v 280.13.

500 series Nvidia cards up to 530 require 290.10 minimum, and the latest from nvidia is 950.2 which is required for 550 upwards.

Posted by MAFoElffen elsewhere, referring to a similar setup with Intel integrated graphics and nvidia GT555M graphics card:
    The Op has two challenges:

1. The NVidia 550x requires nVidia 295.20 or newer. It is a "new" chipset. The 290.10 driver that is in the "main" repo's only supports up to the 530.x chipset. That leaves him with 2 options-

a) DL and install 295.20 binary from NVidia
    Installing NVidia Binary Drivers

b) Add the Edgers PPA <-- nvidia 295.20 is in the Edger's PPA.
    Xorg-Edgers PPA

Note that 290.20 is not in the "main" repository yet...

2. That laptop is Optimus (Hybrid Graphics). Good instructions on installing Bumblebee there in that previous post... But you still need to install the NVidia driver first. The Bumblebee install script then installs it's scripts, copies the NVidia Xorg.conf file to where it will copy from when in use.
    Full text in this Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1932392

I am running a nvidia GT520 with the latest 295.2 driver; previously it ran OK with the 290.10 driver, but would not work properly with the 280.13 from Additional Hardware installation.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your have Nvidia Optimus. Which is a kind of new graphic architecture and it's just starting to be supported on Linux. Despite that fact, there are a couple of projects in progress that have some success to support it.

I would advice you to start reading a couple of useful threads. This one to understand what it is (but a pessimist). And this other one (from post #7), with a more practical approach.

There are laptops that can either disable it, or simplify things by turning off the Nvidia card. Check your BIOS if you have any of those options.

I hope that helps,
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Your have Nvidia Optimus. Which is a kind of new graphic architecture and it's just starting to be supported on Linux. Despite that fact, there are a couple of projects in progress that have some success to support it.

I would advice you to start reading a couple of useful threads. This one to understand what it is (but a pessimist). And this other one (from post #7), with a more practical approach.

There are laptops that can either disable it, or simplify things by turning off the Nvidia card. Check your BIOS if you have any of those options.

I hope that helps,
    Regards.
    thx for the links.. ! i no nothing about this

Beans
    Distro

Hi! aithox,

Apart from checking what options your Bios gives for setting/disabling your video cards, it is clear from other threads that some people have had success with the latest version of Bumblebee, others have not, but there do not seem to be other useful options at present.

You can get the latest on Bumblebee here:http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Good Luck.

Chao!, bogan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast