Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarballs

Beans

Tarballs

Hi

I've been trying to compile .tar.gz and tar.bz2 files following on line guides and they all work for me exactly right up to the point where I have to enter ./configure. I extract the files from the tarball, i cd to the directory and follow every instruction implicitly but ./configure never works. I have installed as many package things from the get-app commands that are listed in the guides and yet whenever i type ./configure it just says unknown command. Is there something I'm missing? Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tarballs

First off, have you installed build-essential?

Next, not all source packages have configure scripts, does the one you are trying to compile have one?

Beans

Compiling Is Easy But It Goes To No Offense To The Person Wanting To Know How To Do It

First Exract Your File.

Then cd it
    Code:
    cd /home/username/TarballFile
    Depends On The Files Within It.

So Run

Code:
    ./configure
    Then

Code:
    make
    And Finally

Code:
    sudo make install
    Now If Its 'Sh'
    Make Sure Its Executable.
    By Typing Inside Terminal.
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /home/username/folder/shscript
    Then Run It
    Code:
    ./shscripthere
    Need Help Just Post.
    Linux Freedom

Beans

I didn't realise that some were .sh instead. I have figured out that it is sh and I tried following your instructions but when I try to run it it just says Cannot execute. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Let's back up a step. What exactly are you trying to install? If it's available in the repos, in a PPA or as a .deb then that's the way to go before messing with tarballs.

Beans

I would have got it through those methods already if I could. I'm trying to install the latest beta Firefox 11 and I downloaded the Tarball right from the site and it contains an sh file but it says cannot execute if I try to run it and yes i did the command that is supposed to give you allowance to execute the .sh. I've googled around and I follow every instruction I find exactly to the point and even fiddle around but it just says cannot execute Everytime.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

EDIT: only use that if you want cutting-edge. The "beta" is below.
    Last edited by MG&TL; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That's the daily build, which is a bit more "bleeding edge" than what the OP is after. You can get Firefox 11 from:
    https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+...e/firefox-next

Beans

Hi, thanks for the links, I added the ppa and got firefox-trunk from the synaptic manager but now im at a loss for what to do now. How does this allow me to get the latest beta of firefox? Sorry for being so blonde haha

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NickoHall View Post
    Hi, thanks for the links, I added the ppa and got firefox-trunk from the synaptic manager but now im at a loss for what to do now. How does this allow me to get the latest beta of firefox? Sorry for being so blonde haha
    If you want the beta you should remove firefox-trunk, remove the PPA that MG&TL posted and instead add the PPA I linked to. Then just run a normal update through Update Manager and your Firefox will be upgraded to the beta version. When new versions hit the PPA you'll get them the same way, with your normal updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast