Thread: Recovery root command-line doesn't require password?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Recovery root command-line doesn't require password?

So I had to boot into Recovery mode today (Ubuntu 10.04 desktop 64), and selected root command-line.

It dropped me right into a command-line with root privileges without asking me for a password.

Is this normal, or did I somehow break the security on my install?

Beans

Re: Recovery root command-line doesn't require password?

Dngrsone, normal as anyone with physical access to your kit can do this. Keep your machine safe and away from prying hands and eyes.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is normal for the "drop to root shell prompt" to appear in the recovery mode menu, in order to resolve issues with booting that require root privileges.

As tubbygweilo says, this is where the saying "physical access is root access" comes from.

Every computer system is vulnerable when an unauthorized person has physical access to it regardless of whether or not they have a password.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    So I had to boot into Recovery mode today (Ubuntu 10.04 desktop 64), and selected root command-line.

It dropped me right into a command-line with root privileges without asking me for a password.

Is this normal, or did I somehow break the security on my install?

If you need local file security, you need encryption, or a means of physically securing the machine.

Covering it in cement and placing it in a safe, in a concealed bomb shelter, for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If this behaviour is a cause for concern (as I can imagine it is) it is simple to adjust. After you boot into your normal desktop, open a terminal and type after the prompt:
    Code:
    $> sudo passwd
    You will be prompted for your own password to execute the command as root, and then for a password and asked to retype it to confirm. If succesful this will have changed the password for root. From now on when you drop to a root prompt by way of the boot menu you will be asked for the password you just entered.
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    If you need local file security, you need encryption, or a means of physically securing the machine.

Covering it in cement and placing it in a safe, in a concealed bomb shelter, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by arubislander View Post
    If this behaviour is a cause for concern (as I can imagine it is) it is simple to adjust. After you boot into your normal desktop, open a terminal and type after the prompt:
    Code:
    $> sudo passwd
    You will be prompted for your own password to execute the command as root, and then for a password and asked to retype it to confirm. If succesful this will have changed the password for root. From now on when you drop to a root prompt by way of the boot menu you will be asked for the password you just entered.
    Thanks for that tidbit, arubislander.

My physical security is pretty good, and I'm the only one in the house who knows Linux anyway (everyone else barely knows how to use a mouse), but having that extra little bit of security might save me from something stupid happening by accident.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post

Thanks for that tidbit, arubislander.

My physical security is pretty good, and I'm the only one in the house who knows Linux anyway (everyone else barely knows how to use a mouse), but having that extra little bit of security might save me from something stupid happening by accident.
    You can still do something stupid running as root too.

Beans

you can remove the recovery option in the grub boot menu but there is still another point of entry even without entering recovery mode.