Thread: pdf document is damaged

Beans

pdf document is damaged

I have a data lose problem with pdf files occasionally becoming corrupted. This has happened several times on one machine with Ubuntu 10.04. This involves Ubuntu's "Document viewer 2.30.3" and also with Adobe Reader 9.

I received an email with an attachment and downloaded a pdf to my desktop computer that would not open. I tried downloading it numerous times to different places on my desktop. Neither "Document Viewer 2.30.3" nor Adobe 9 would open the pdf.

Then I forwarded the original email and opened it on my laptop computer using the very same "Document Viewer 2.30.3".

Then I tested again and sent the pdf that had been downloaded to my desktop computer, the one that was corrupted. It would not open.

The desktop computer with Ubuntu 10.04 appears to be corrupting this one particular pdf, but it doesn't corrupt it on the laptop computer.

Most of my pdfs open just fine on the Ubuntu desktop computer. Other pdfs have been corrupted with data lose. Interestingly that email contained another different pdf attachment that opened just fine on both machines.

Does anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Beans

Re: pdf document is damaged

I'd be looking to see if any HDD errors had been reported, and possibly try running a RAM checker - both areas can give rise to such problems.
    Derek

Beans

I'll give that a check. Do you believe the situation you discribe might still give rise to one particular pdf becomming corrupted everytime I try to download and open it on the one particular machine, while it downloads and opens just fine on the other machine -- and considering that both are using "Document Viewer 2.30.3", but one is Xubuntu 10.04 and the other with the problem is Ubuntu 10.04? I'll mark this as solved if you think so. Thanks for the suggestion!

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you haven't already tried it , i would suggest removing Document Viewer and Reader 9 completely from the Desktop 10.04 installation and reinstalling only one of them (I would personally choose Document Viewer) and see if the problem re-occurs.

You could also check it out by writing a small document yourself and saving it as a PDF and try opening it repeatedly to see if the probelm can be replicated / and or persists.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Beans

I removed all my pdf viewing software, then rebooted and re-installed. The same problem recurred. Interestingly that one specific pdf would not open when "viewed" online at google gmail with in Chromium (and I surmise in other browser). Google delivered a webpage that said "Sorry, we are unable to generate a view of the document at this time. Please try again later.
    You can also try to download the original document by clicking here. Alternatively, you can view the plain HTML (automatically redirecting).
    " After a few more seconds the error page refreshed and just said that it couldn't be viewed in html and instructed to download the file to view it in its original format. It's interesting that that file can be viewed just fine using my laptop and Xubuntu, but not on Ubuntu Desktop as a download or viewed online. Also, there was more than one pdf file in the email attachment. The other pdf is never a problem on either machine or viewing online.