Thread: Can't set resolution in AMD Catalyst Control Centre

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry Can't set resolution in AMD Catalyst Control Centre

Hi,

On a laptop with a second display connected using HDMI, AMDCCCLE keeps crashing (exit 139) when I try to set resolution on either display. Other settings are okay. This happens when I run the Control Centre using su or gksudo. When I try to run it using the AMD way: "amdxdg-su -c amdcccle", it crashes (exit 3) with the following error: "no graphical method available for invoking 'amdcccle' as 'root'"

There is a bug report about this here but there is no fix.

The video card is AMD Radeon HD 6300
    Driver version 11.8
    CCC version 2.13
    Xubuntu version 11.10 (Oneiric)

Anyone know of a solution to this? I can't configure my displays correctly without this.

Thank you.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Can't set resolution in AMD Catalyst Control Centre

Is there some particular reason you're using CCC?

I used to use that all the time, then I switched to using the default open-source Radeon drivers, and since I do not need hardware 3D acceleration (don't do gaming), I find I get all the features I need (multiple monitors, multiple desktops, different resolutions) with the open-source drivers and NONE of the hassles trying to get CCC to do what I want.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Is there some particular reason you're using CCC?
    I'm using CCC and AMD's driver because I want 2D acceleration and 3D support.

Also, I had the open source driver before and it didn't work correctly whenever I plugged-in the second monitor. I was unable to set resolution on the second display to its native resolution of 1920x1080. The highest I could set was 1600x900 with black bars on all sides. The first display (the laptop one) went off the screen prohibiting me from seeing part of the right side. There was also a problem with the wallpaper. The wallpaper on the first display would appear on top of the wallpaper on the second display.

I'm hoping that CCC will fix these issues, once I can figure out a way to save settings without crashing.
    Last edited by x1a4; March 1st, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling; grammar

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bump

Beans

I have this problem too. So I have to remove the driver and use the default driver.
    You can setup dual mornitor resolutions by using "Setting Editor".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi, x1a4.

Have you tried using xrandr to set the resolution, as a work-around? The Arch Wiki is probably one of the best sources of info on this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

If you get stuck, post back!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks Grenage. I'll do it this Saturday and we'll see if I can get things to work right.