Thread: Print Screen peculiarities

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Print Screen peculiarities

Trying to do a print screen of a software window with an open menu to illustrate to someone how the software operates. The keyboard's Print Screen button does not seem to work when a menu (any menu) is opened.

Does anyone know how to deal with the issue? Is it a Gnome limitation, or the display driver (Nvidia), by the way?

Since we're on the subject of Print Screen, can someone suggest how to do another trick I was able to do in Windows (which I haven't used in ages, so I hope I remember it right) - hold "Alt" button, then hit Print Screen to save the active window only? I have a two-head monitor setup and it looks like I always have to get a 2560x1024 picture when all I needed was a small open window? Is there a way to capture the active window only in Ubuntu?

Thanks for your input guys!
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Print Screen peculiarities

Sorry, I know it's lame to respond to your own posts, but this sounds like a rather very common task that many people would be confronted with, yet no replies. Am I alone in struggling with Print Screens? What am I missing?

Cheers!
    To Build And Overclock!

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You could try using the Take Screenshot function which is located in Applications >Accessories menu. It is configurable to take a screenshot of the whole desktop, an active window , or an area which you can select with your mouse. there is also a timer function.I am assuming that you are still running 10.10?

Beans
    Distro

@winh8r: Perfect! Thank you so much. It does the exact thing I need - just need to play with the timer so I have enough time to open all menus just in time for the shot.
    I don't know why I did not see it before? Maybe it's because I mapped the Terminal to a Win button - otherwise Terminal is right next to it, I would have seen it!

Thanks again!
    To Build And Overclock!