Thread: True Lossless CD Audio Ripping, ideas?

Beans

True Lossless CD Audio Ripping, ideas?

Hi folks,

I want to digitize my music collection, consisting of several hundred CDs. I have two major objectives in mind:

• Integrity: My CDs will get ruined by age; I want to preserve the data that I paid for.
    • Accessibility / Portability: Popping a physical CD into a drive to hear digital music playback is stupid, annoying, cumbersome and unnecessary.

Which file formats should I go for, and which applications and means to you recommend to produce them?

(is there an ISO format I can use? Should I use BIN/CUE? FLAC/CUE? UDF? Pack everything into a Matroska container?)

I have some constraints; I have looked around on the Web to see what others have done, but from what I see, most people are contempt with storing a lossy audio encoding, or to just store FLAC files. However, in these approaches, important information on the CD is lost. For instance:
    1. I want playback to be gapless when the artists intended it to be, as in the transition to a track from its intro track (example: artist: "Dimmu Borgir", album: "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia", tracks: 1 and 2). This breaks immersion.
    2. I also want the silence between tracks to be exactly like what the artists intended. Sometimes, artists let a song fade out, give a moment of pause, and then start the next track. If this moment of pause is omitted/shortened, the next track feels "sudden", again breaking immersion.
    3. I want the waveforms to be unchanged in my digitization of the CD. For instance, there used to be a song "Prevail" by "Kreator" on YouTube which, after the brief moment of silence at 3:17, had the waveforms amplified, compared to the CD version, for a fraction of a second (EDIT: this YouTube rip of "I C?m Blood" by "Cannibal Corpse" has this issue, particularly prominent at 2:31). This literally sent me flying out of my seat when I heard it because I thought someone had suddenly, sneakily, cranked up the volume of my speakers. I also don't want my digitization to introduce clipping. On Spotify, on "King of the Grey Islands" by "Candlemass", track 1 leads into the lower-volume track 2, resulting in an experience not nearly as overwhelming as the artist intended.
    4. I want hidden tracks to be present.
    5. Sometimes a music CD comes with multimedia content on a separate track. Just doing an ISO copy of the CD is thus insufficient. However, I would like to back up this multimedia information as well.

What comes closest to what I desire is what is described in this 6 years old thread. However, in his approach, benbruscella's reproduction of a digitized CD did not yield a CD which was identical to the original. Is this impossible? Will each read of a CD be different for mechanical reasons?

Thanks,
    Willard.
    Last edited by Willard; February 29th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: True Lossless CD Audio Ripping, ideas?

Check this link to CDDA out. See if you like it. It's easy and configurable.
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I rip all my music into FLAC and mp3 using abcde might be an option for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Beans

If you experiment with abcde, as suggested by bodyrice, you will see that abcde has an option to rip the entire cd as a single track. This would cover some of your requirements?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sidzen View Post
    Check this link to CDDA out. See if you like it. It's easy and configurable.
    I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by boydrice View Post
    I rip all my music into FLAC and mp3 using abcde might be an option for you.
    I started ripping my library once, one track on each CD into its own FLAC file, using this approach (abcde is an incredibly simple tool), and stopped when I realized I was losing CD structure information this way (my points 1 through 5).

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    If you experiment with abcde, as suggested by bodyrice, you will see that abcde has an option to rip the entire cd as a single track. This would cover some of your requirements?
    Ah; and abcde also has the feature of extracting a CUE sheet. I'll play with this.

So, FLAC + CUE seems to be the best way to go.

Do you know of music players (preferably headless ones) which can play specific tracks inside a whole-CD-as-one-FLAC file with help of the corresponding CUE file, or could I need to have one-{FLAC,OGG,MP3}-per-track alongside my backup?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Audacious qmmp and xmms all play from cue

also nvlc from commandline 19.jpg cd to folder and enter

Code:
    nvlc *.cue

XMMS is the most rational with cue as it has cueinfo which lets you stack many thus and pick your track[s] from the cueinfo with up and down arrow you see there

as regards ripping i would suggest pacpl or rubyripper rubyripper does cue pacpl does not but is fast

also here info on automatic ripping
    Last edited by shantiq; February 28th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

just worked out a nice way to play all cue file in nvlc [looks good in Guake]

for i in */
    do
    cd "$i"
    nvlc *.cue
    cd ..
    done
    save as nvlc.sh and make executable and save in Music

Code:
    cd Music
    [assuming all your music folders containing cues are in Music if not change obviously]

enter
    Code:
    ./nvlc.sh
    it will open and play your first cuefile

CTRL +C takes you to the next cuefile
    n and p take you to next and previous track in current cuefile
    SHIFT b lets you navigate all your folders on your computer
    h TO SEE ALL OPTIONS
    c to go black and white
    Last edited by shantiq; February 28th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt