Thread: Which version have I got?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which version have I got?

A puzzle!
    I "thought" I was using 11.10 with the Gnome Classic interface, but System Settings/System/Details says 12.04 LTS (see screen shot)
    [IMG]/home/dexter/Pictures/Screenshot at 2012-02-27 10:31:11.png[/IMG].
    I have never installed 12.04.

I then checked via a terminal. It assure me that I'm using 11.10 (see screen shot)
    [IMG]/home/dexter/Pictures/Screenshot at 2012-02-27 10:37:49.png[/IMG]

Which is right? and why the difference?
    Last edited by Buster95; February 27th, 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Sorry - don't know how to embed screenprints! Forum help was no help to me on this feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Which version have I got?

Screenshot has gone awry, no one can see it here whilst it is still in your local home folder.

Use the paperclip icon to attach your screenshot to your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Could you post the result of this command?
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can tell you two things.

1) I have been using 12.04 since the end of November last year and at first System Info said it was 11.10 and it kept saying that for many weeks. After a while System Monitor started reporting 12.04 and it took many, many more weeks before System Info got around to saying it was 12.04. Now, just the other week System Info had its name changed to Details.

2) I have just run my standard 11.10 install. System Info is still called System Info and it is still saying 11.10.

What PPAs do you have in your System Sources?

Some people on 11.10 like to have the very latest bits and pieces. Such as Linux kernel 3.2 instead of 3.0. Or Unity 5 or the latest Gnome shell. These are bits coming in 12.04.

Have you done anything like that? It could be (that means that I am guessing) that these packages have dependencies that are pulling in other packages that are meant for 12.04 and that is how you have got a Details Utility and enough of 12.04 for the Details utility to label the OS as 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Screenshot has gone awry, no one can see it here whilst it is still in your local home folder.

Use the paperclip icon to attach your screenshot to your post.
    attached
    [ATTACH]Screenshot at 2012-02-27 10:37:49.png[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I can tell you two things.

1) I have been using 12.04 since the end of November last year and at first System Info said it was 11.10 and it kept saying that for many weeks. After a while System Monitor started reporting 12.04 and it took many, many more weeks before System Info got around to saying it was 12.04. Now, just the other week System Info had its name changed to Details.

2) I have just run my standard 11.10 install.System Info is still called System Info and it is still saying 11.10.

What PPAs do you have in your System Sources?

Some people on 11.10 like to have the very latest bits and pieces. Such as Linux kernel 3.2 instead of 3.0. Or Unity 5 or the latest Gnome shell. These are bits coming in 12.04.

Have you done anything like that? It could be (that means that I am guessing) that these packages have dependencies that are pulling in other packages that are meant for 12.04 and that is how you have got a Details Utility and enough of 12.04 for the Details utility to label the OS as 12.04.

Regards.
    You may be right.
    Until recently, I used the "vanilla" sources only and a very limited software suite. Then, I lost the menu bar indicators, some keyboard shortcuts, Deja Dup backup and Gimp after a routine update.

I was compelled to use some other repositories to get some of those functionalities back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

That's... Weird, to me it seems you have 11.10. Take a look in /etc/apt/sources.list
    If almost everything says
    Code:
    deb some-address/ubuntu oneiric main multiverse universe extra
    Then you have 11.10, if not, then whatever it has instead of oneiric.

EDIT: If you have PPAs, make sure you aren't using 12.04 PPAs as they can mess up (They are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/)
    Last edited by Lisiano; February 27th, 2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Corrected sources.list location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    That's... Weird, to me it seems you have 11.10. Take a look in /etc/apt/sources.list
    If almost everything says
    Code:
    deb some-address/ubuntu oneiric main multiverse universe extra
    Then you have 11.10, if not, then whatever it has instead of oneiric.

EDIT: If you have PPAs, make sure you aren't using 12.04 PPAs as they can mess up (They are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/)
    PPAs all "claim" to be Oneric (see attachment)
    Screenshot at 2012-02-27 11:59:39.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Then it looks like you are on 11.10 and one of those PPAs might have backported 12.04s System Info to 11.10.

At least that what it looks like to me, wait for others to voice their opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."