Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU overheating on visiting certain java webpages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy CPU overheating on visiting certain java webpages.

I noticed a cpu overheating problem just when I opened this page in firefox. A small message in bottom left side says "applet started". I opened the same page in Google Chrome, and the same result.

The "top" command shows cpu 743% busy.
    It is abnormal/unacceptable. I just did "killall java" in terminal and cpu comes down to 5%.
    What the problem is with java?
    The power drains like a hell. Heating, and fan runs at full speed.

Intel corei7 2670QM 2.2GHz, Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, Gnome3, firefox, and Java Version 1.6.0_23 from Sun Microsystems Inc, as per http://javatester.org/version.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: CPU overheating on visiting certain java webpages.

First, any actual overheating (as in CPU temperature exceeding safe limits, instead of just heavy CPU usage) is always a hardware problem, due to insufficient cooling. All computer hardware is made to be able to handle sustained full load, and heat sinks, coolers etc. are designed to handle that thermal load. Failing to do so is an hardware issue, not software problem, and usually related to dust or incorrectly attached fans or heatsinks, not sufficiently appled thermal paste between the components, or sometimes simply manufacturing defects.

What comes to the web site, you might want to ask it's developers. The page throws a JavaScript error, and indeed simply disabling JavaScript is enough to remove the high CPU use...
    Last edited by mcduck; February 26th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

which version of java are you using? in my experence the open souce versiondoes not work as well as the official version of java

if the app still works you can use the CPU scaling applet to lower your cpu's clock speed

@mcduck
    it can be a configuration issue if you are overclocking
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@pqwoerituytrueiwoq
    According to what I checked in synaptic, the java version is:
    6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10.2
    @mcduck
    It is unlikely a hardware issue, cause It is a Branded Netbook, and I have tested even with Electronic Art's latest window based game through wine, and also some heavy computational FE simulations. Only then it goes to such heated levels.

My point is how can a simply browser component be such heavy on a core i7 QM 2.2 GHz CPU? Should it be?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    @mcduck
    it can be a configuration issue if you are overclocking
    Isn't that a bit of nitpicking? And even then it would be a hardware issue, not software problem.

But I see your point. And of course I meant any normal situation where the hardware is used as it's intended to be used.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sbnwl View Post
    @pqwoerituytrueiwoq
    According to what I checked in synaptic, the java version is: @mcduck
    It is unlikely a hardware issue, cause It is a Branded Netbook, and I have tested even with Electronic Art's latest window based game through wine, and also some heavy computational FE simulations. Only then it goes to such heated levels.

My point is how can a simply browser component be such heavy on a core i7 QM 2.2 GHz CPU? Should it be?
    sure I believe it does get hot, but that isn't the same as overheating. Does the system crash or behave unstable in any way? Do you get any errors, or is the CPU speed throttling down due to overheating? If not, then it's not overheating. And if it is, then it's a hardware problem (in case of a new machine that would either be a manufacturing defect or faulty design)

And yes, even a simple piece of code can be extremely heavy task for a computer to run. That's maths for you. A simple logical or mathematical problem can require lots of work to solve. And since there clearly is bugs in the site's code (based on the JavaScript errors) it isn't doing what it's supposed to do, and that can always lead to problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Indeed the page uses 100% CPU and temperature goes from 56 to 80 degrees celsius on a i5 processor here. The problem occurs with Firefox and Chrome, but not with Opera.

Beans

I had a similar problem on my Hp dv5-1080 with Ubuntu amd64. In my case the problem was the flash plugin. I had to install the original adobe's one. Has the web-page some flash content?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The reason why your cpu usage is high is probably due to poor programming by the website owner.
    VHDL and C FTW

Designing a custom CPU based on MIPS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinhood View Post
    I had a similar problem on my Hp dv5-1080 with Ubuntu amd64. In my case the problem was the flash plugin. I had to install the original adobe's one. Has the web-page some flash content?
    No there is no flash involved. It is a java issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast