Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Slackware based distro to download

Beans

Re: Which Slackware based distro to download

+1 to pure slackware!
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm thinking that for those of us who haven't that much experience about linux, one of the derivatives might be a good idea.

I love what Sabayon and Chakra have done to Gentoo and Arch, so I'm really interested in trying out out Salix. I'm sure vanilla slackware rocks, but some of us prefer more desktop ready solutions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I'm thinking that for those of us who haven't that much experience about linux, one of the derivatives might be a good idea.
    I politely disagree . If you use the full slackware installation and boot to kde you will have a very full and mostly complete distro. For any problems there is a great Forum:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/

But it is a good thing that there are so many choices available .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I love what Sabayon and Chakra have done to Gentoo and Arch, so I'm really interested in trying out out Salix. I'm sure vanilla slackware rocks, but some of us prefer more desktop ready solutions.
    why choose slack in the first place then ?

What do you want from slack that it gives you but you want to use a derivative, the lack of experience i agree is an issue or can be but if you go for a more user friendly dekstop ready as it were derivative then you tend to lose the reasons for choosing slack in the first place.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    What do you want from slack that it gives you but you want to use a derivative, the lack of experience i agree is an issue or can be but if you go for a more user friendly dekstop ready as it were derivative then you tend to lose the reasons for choosing slack in the first place.
    Now, that's an interesting perspective. You wrote that the reasons for choosing pure slack were stability and ease of management (if you know linux). Are the derivatives less stable and cumbersome to maintain than vanilla slackware?
    Last edited by Dry Lips; March 1st, 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now, that's an interesting perspective. You wrote that the reasons for choosing pure slack were stability and ease of management (if you know linux). Are the derivatives less stable and cumbersome to maintain than vanilla slackware?
    I couldn't really say if the deriviatives are less stable etc as I haven't used any for an extended period of time. I think the point was what is the intended goal of using a Slackware derivative? If the answer was to just use a distro that uses lilo instead of grub by default, or .tgz packages than .deb or .rpm then a derivative will suffice. If the intent is to get a feel of Using Slackware then use the real thing as all the derivatives are there to make Slackware more like other user-friendly distros so you don't have to configure and tweak it to make Slackware do what you want. The process of shaping Slackware into what you want is in my mind one of the best benefits of using Slackware. Hope that makes sense.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 to all those that suggested trying out Slackware.

I could suggest trying Salix too as I found it a very good distro and AFAIK it stays 100% compatible with Slackware so it should give the same experience...

Beans
    Hidden!

The advantage of Puppy is, it is much faster than the 'original' distro it's based on. I don't know about Puppy 5.3.1 (Slack based), but Puppy 5.2.8 (Lucid based) will blow away any of the Ubuntu derivatives out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12