Thread: slow gnome shell after making some changes (probably Compiz Fusion)

Beans

slow gnome shell after making some changes (probably Compiz Fusion)

Hi,
    I have recently installed Gnome shell and made some changes, mostly in Compiz but I guess my problem started after installing Compiz Fusion which I found out doesn't work with Gnome shell. There was the option to change desktop environments from Compiz to Metacity and the other way around. After playing around I realized that all of a sudden my mouse was quite slow.

So I switched to Gnome Classic to see if also something changed but fortunately the mouse was normal and also the general performance of my computer was better than in Gnome shell.

I went back to Gnome shell and tested changing different desktop environments by using mutter --replace or metacity --replace in the terminal and in both cases the screen was srewed up (missing upper panel) but my mouse was fast again.

Also during the log in screen and shortly after the mouse is fast but when Gnome has fully loaded it gets slow.

So I am wondering what has happened to my Gnome shell? Something doesn't seem to work out.
    I hope you guys can help me.

Beans

Re: slow gnome shell after making some changes (probably Compiz Fusion)

I got my problem solved by resetting Gnome. I found this on another website, hope I can paste it here:

Type those comands into a terminal

gconftool --shutdown
    killall -r -I -9 dconf
    killall -r -I -9 gconf
    mv .gconf gconf-backup
    mv .config/dconf config-dconf
    mv .cache/dconf cache-dconf

then sudo reboot

and your Gnome is set back to its default configuration.
    Last edited by alybaby; February 29th, 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: wrong style