Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible virus/trojan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Possible virus/trojan?

My father said something strange happened the other day on his laptop. (I set up an old Acer Aspire 5101 laptop with Lucid for him)

He said he was trying to check his emails in Hotmail using Firefox, when he said it came up with 'server errors', and the text 'went really small'.

He then said the light on the top of the laptop came on (the webcam light)

Now, I'm not too concerned about the 'server errors' or 'tiny text', as these could have been problems with Hotmail down their end. But the webcam light concerned me, as this only comes on when the webcamera is active. I have heard of trojans secretly accessing web cams and the like

After a reboot, no sign of Hotmail errors, tiny text or webcam lights. Currently running a ClamAV recursive scan, all appears okay.

Any ideas, or am I just being a bit too paranoid?

Thanks
    Powered by a Samsung NC10 with 2Gb RAM, running Lucid 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Possible virus/trojan?

Quote Originally Posted by Condor Cluster View Post
    My father said something strange happened the other day on his laptop. (I set up an old Acer Aspire 5101 laptop with Lucid for him)

He said he was trying to check his emails in Hotmail using Firefox, when he said it came up with 'server errors', and the text 'went really small'.

He then said the light on the top of the laptop came on (the webcam light)

Now, I'm not too concerned about the 'server errors' or 'tiny text', as these could have been problems with Hotmail down their end. But the webcam light concerned me, as this only comes on when the webcamera is active. I have heard of trojans secretly accessing web cams and the like

After a reboot, no sign of Hotmail errors, tiny text or webcam lights. Currently running a ClamAV recursive scan, all appears okay.

Any ideas, or am I just being a bit too paranoid?

Thanks
    Sounds like you've taken paranoia to a whole new level! Seriously, there is nothing to suggest infection, a webcam can turn itself on for a lot of reasons. And anyway, if you've taken heart of the firewall wikis out here and only allow specific ports or applications through your firewall, an infection (spyware) couldn't do anything anyway.

PS: With that small text thing, are you sure the zoom wasn't turned too low? Oh and why Lucid? The latest release is Oneiric Ocelot (11.10).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

did he opened live messenger?

Beans

Hello

Iv Never Had Any Problems With My Ubuntu Install.
    No Offense But This Aint Windows
    My Webcam Turns On For Alot Of Reasons.

1. I Was In Yahoo Messenger.
    2. Messing With Cheese Or Sometimes Even Config Files.
    3. Plus He Would Have To Be Root To Execute A Trojan.

If Your Scared And Want To Install AntiVirus To Be Safe.

Install ClamAV
    or rkhunter (But Has Alot Of False Positives.)

"sudo apt-get install clamav"
    "sudo apt-get install rkhunter"

without quotes.

Look Into Other Security To If Your Worried.
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 25th, 2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Removed pointless OS bashing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Originally posted by: 0011235813
    Oh and why Lucid? The latest release is Oneiric Ocelot (11.10).
    Perhaps because is the last long term support release?. I am too with lucid lynx and will not upgrade till 12.04 (other longer time support).

Lucid lynx is solid rocks, stable and responsive. I don't mind to have the latest version os software but bullet-proof software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As already stated 10.04 is the current LTS and as such will be kept current on security updates and backports until the end of its life in April 2013.

As far as the behavior you witnessed in terms of the webcam turning on you are quite right to be suspicious. That is trojan like behavior, as well hotmail is rather famous for allowing cross site scripting.

As well, it is not nearly as hard as most people seem to think to create a backdoor, trojan or remote access tool that will run in Linux. In fact it is no harder than Windows.

That being said, I think this is probably a hardware misconfiguratiom or built in functionality of fhe messenger app. Though a little vigilience never hurt anyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    Originally posted by: 0011235813

Perhaps because is the last long term support release?. I am too with lucid lynx and will not upgrade till 12.04 (other longer time support).

Lucid lynx is solid rocks, stable and responsive. I don't mind to have the latest version os software but bullet-proof software.
    +1 to that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why Lucid?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!