Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

I just tried this method on a Vaio VPPCA17FL, Intel Sandybridge HD3000 ADM Radeon HD6630m... X server crashed after the first mentioned reboot, but after finishing it all went pretty good! =D temperature has gone below 56°C to 49°C (through sensors). It's way too late already, so I'll test the graphics tomorrow. Big thanks to every single person who has been contributing for the past 15 or so months!! :')

Quote Originally Posted by belorios View Post
    Hi all!

Read alot of the posts on this board, and some other boards =), and I worked my own way of getting hybrid graphics to work on my Vostro 3350 (hd3000/hd6490).

So here is my steps for any of you who cannot get it to work by the steps previously described.

1. Fresh install of 12.10
    2. Upgrade
    3. Installed Linux source and headers
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
    4. Install official driver from AMD (13.1), run the installer and install the driver directly WITHOUT generating packages.
    5. REBOOT
    6. Run the following commands to install drivers from Andrikos ppa
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge fglrx* 
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrikos/ppa 
      sudo apt-get update 
      sudo apt-get -y upgrade 
      sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-video-intel 
      sudo apt-get -y install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates 
      sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    7. Reboot

Now it's time for champagne!

Beans

Worked right on my Dell with AMD7730/Intel HD 4000. I will try the HDMI and VGA port tests when I have a TV or a monitor accessible.

• DELL Inspiron 15R SE (N7520), Intel HD 4000, AMD 7730m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

Beans

Hi all!

Read alot of the posts on this board, and some other boards =), and I worked my own way of getting hybrid graphics to work on my Vostro 3350 (hd3000/hd6490).

So here is my steps for any of you who cannot get it to work by the steps previously described.

2. Upgrade
      Code:
    4. Install official driver from AMD (13.1), run the installer and install the driver directly WITHOUT generating packages.
    5. REBOOT
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update 
      sudo apt-get -y upgrade 
    7. Reboot

I made it to this part quickly but I'm afraid to try to switch to the intel gpu in the chance of not booting.

Beans

Reporting a success for Clevo 150em, also known as XMGP502 with customization as below.

No problems experienced whatsoever as soon as I found this forum post. However it took me a couple of days to get through the jungle of other stuff on google to get here. Most hits on the google "linux ATI 7970m" or "ubuntu p150em" gave posts from 2010 or users _speculating_ about whether they could use the hybrid graphics or not. Most threads ended with someone using only the integrated card (what a waste!!). I am happy I found this thread.

Thanks a bunch

XMG P502 PRO Gaming Notebook 39,6 cm (15.6 ")
    . 39.6 cm (15.6 ") Full HD (1920 * 1080) Non-Glare
    . AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2048MB GDDR5 | TDP: 100W
    . Intel Core i7-3630QM - 2.40 to 3.40 GHz 6MB 45W
    . 16GB (2x8192) SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM 1600MHz Crucial
    . 1000GB SATA II 5400rpm Seagate Momentus (ST1000LM024)
    . Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD (CT256M4SSD3)
    . Support frame for additional SATA-II hard drive (instead of the optical drive) for XMG XMG P501 and P502
    . Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (with Bluetooth)

Beans

Everything was going ok, but suddenly something went wrong... after installing Catalyst and switching to the Intel graphics card, 90% of times after rebooting, I get the error "KVM disabled by BIOS"... I checked it and indeed it was disabled, but enabling it does nothing, LM just won't start any way of changing to AMD graphics card? BIOS doesn't show any option.
    Last edited by Aoi v1; March 8th, 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

To innsmouthtrain: I'm so jealous. I have a quite similar machine (Clevo 150em + HD7970M) and I have been now fighting for 4 days with the ATI drivers. Frustration is as much that I'm even thinking of returning the new shiny laptop. The most I get is to install the drivers from andrikos or from ATI. It still boots up in "low graphics mode" and for making it work better I need to remove the line "BusID "PCI:1:0:0"" in xorg.conf. Then it boots but glxinfo fails miserably when I activate the dgpu - so it is quite useless. Paradoxically, switching to the igpu makes the fan run constantly, but glxinfo works.

Once I though I had it working but then, for no reason, it started to be broken again. So can you confirm that there is a way to get the ATI GPU fully working? Is it the "Install 12.10 -> 13.1 from ATI -> 13.2 from andrikos" way? Could you share with me your xorg.conf?

Thanks a million!

Quote Originally Posted by innsmouthrain View Post
    Reporting a success for Clevo 150em, also known as XMGP502 with customization as below.

No problems experienced whatsoever as soon as I found this forum post. However it took me a couple of days to get through the jungle of other stuff on google to get here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petecan View Post
    To innsmouthtrain: I'm so jealous. I have a quite similar machine (Clevo 150em + HD7970M) and I have been now fighting for 4 days with the ATI drivers. Frustration is as much that I'm even thinking of returning the new shiny laptop. The most I get is to install the drivers from andrikos or from ATI. It still boots up in "low graphics mode" and for making it work better I need to remove the line "BusID "PCI:1:0:0"" in xorg.conf. Then it boots but glxinfo fails miserably when I activate the dgpu - so it is quite useless. Paradoxically, switching to the igpu makes the fan run constantly, but glxinfo works.

Once I though I had it working but then, for no reason, it started to be broken again. So can you confirm that there is a way to get the ATI GPU fully working? Is it the "Install 12.10 -> 13.1 from ATI -> 13.2 from andrikos" way? Could you share with me your xorg.conf?

Thanks a million!

Hi dude!

No problem!

First, I must remember to tell you that I am using Xubuntu 12.04. Gnome will mess up your gaming experience anyway, so if you want performance, try to stay off it. Personally, I find the methods I have used to be poorly documented and most of the time I have no deep understanding of what I am doing, just copying commands other people write. This is generally not a very efficient way of figuring out the root cause of problems and achieving the result you are after. But the both the hardware and this technology as a whole is very new and so I just try to mess around until I get something working and then figure out as much as I can afterwards. Just you know, don't get frustrated and angry with yourself. Nobody seems to fully know how to get it working yet.

I have pasted my xorg.conf below, but I'm not sure if it will help you. I followed the steps in this first post here in the thread very precisely except for the driver download which I took from the wiki link he pasted. I also read that wiki page thouroughly and followed their procedure for removing the old drivers before anything else. Try to make sure you follow the steps correctly. If you're afraid that you have some settings wrong you can back up your files and restart the system installation from start, it doesn't take long on a beast of a machine like this.

I also posted my grub conf, in case you have some settings wrong there. By the way, the dwords part in my xorgs aren't working. I'm trying to get the brightness keys running so I d That way I can make sure it actually works.

Code:
     moth@charm:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.confSection "ServerLayout"
            Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
            Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
            Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
            Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
            Option      "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
            Driver      "fglrx"
            BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
            Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
            Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
            Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    And here is my /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    moth@charm:~$ cat /etc/default/grub 
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text modeset=1 acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

The first poster already posted this link, but in case you missed it: the wiki link, http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Beans

Hi guys,

I just made a clean install of ubuntu 12.04 and after upataing the packages I just made through the switchable graphics process as mentioned in the first thread of this post. Everything worked fine. Strangely when I made my system to reboot/shutdown from my integrated gpu, it doesn't get restarted/shutsdown. The screen shows segmentation fault in the last line and hangs there indefinitely until i manually press my power button to power off the system. I do have one doubt, earlier i used to have the so called fancy Advanced format drives with my ubuntu partition misaligned by 1024 bytes. Could this segmentation fault be associated with this misalignment?

This is my experience from switchable graphics and I just wanted to know whether some of you guys have already experienced/ experiencimg the problem of booting/shutting down only from discrete gpu? I don't mind using only the dgpu....

Beans

Thanks a million innsmouthrain (quick note, the brightness keys work with kernels >=3.7 out of the box). Knowing that there was at least someone with essentially my exact same system (a Clevo 150em + AMD 7970m) and a working linux installation was essential for me to keep the computer, as windows would have never been an option. Now I have it (sort of) working! And I believe things will get much better soon, when hopefully the drivers in the official repos will work out of the box and more and more people with enduros will be working in linux. I put my money on a couple of months after raring is released.

Right now I have an ubuntu 12.10 + 13.2beta7 drivers working, getting great performance on GPGPU computations out of the graphics card. The igpu does not work so well, the fan is always on and in order to change back to the dgpu I need to tweak LD_LIBRARY_PATH and reboot a couple of times. So at the moment I work only with the DGPU on an external screen connected via DVI.

For the records, a will distill how I got it and a few of the ways how I did not get it. During my first attempts, I was unsuccessful with either 12.04 or 12.10. This was probably my bad, as I was trying to follow the instructions in the unofficial AMD linux community, that seem to be correct if one follows them carefully. An extra complication in my case is that I was trying to make it work with my external monitor, which turns out to be another source of frustration with enduro. After a few attempts, and after realizing that there were already drivers for raring in Nick Andrik's PPA I decided to install the daily snapshot of ubuntu 13.04. That was a great success for the first few hours, as not only the graphics card was properlly set-up but also the external monitor was working much faster (with my current setup it takes about a minute to show something, then everything works well). I think xorg (intel drivers) is getting better in that release. Unfortunatelly, (my bad again) I accepted a kernel update that broke the whole system again. And then I was unable to get it working back, even reinstalling from scratch. This was really frustrating, because I can cope with early versions of the drivers and broken installation procedures, but it is harder to cope with things that sometimes work, sometimes, depending on the order things are done and the versions of the kernel/xorg/drivers.

At that point, I decided not to try anymore with raring and stick with an stable, officially supported by AMD distro. So I came back to 12.10, and as suggested by a previous post I 1) installed 13.1 using the AMD installer and 2) installed Nick Andrik's ubuntu-repack of the 13.2 beta3 drivers. With this I got the working setup I have right now. With the following annoyances:
    • The power-express settings are not remembered between sessions. So at the moment I need to open the catalyst center and change to low-performance if I want the GPU fan to stay quite while I'm not launching computations at it.
    • Some tools, like shutter, do not work properly.
    • The external monitor takes about one minute to get the image. Then it works normally, and I know that this seems to get fixed in the next release of ubunut, around the corner.
    • Switching to the intel gpu is unusable: the fan is crazy. Since it works for other people, a wild guess is that this is due to this bizarre driver installation over driver installation I have. In fact, there is a big problem with the OpenGL libraries here: the switcher/update alternatives script from AMD gets it wrong and puts a 0-sized library in /usr/lib/libGL1.2.so. This does not allow to switch back to dgpu (amdconfig) does not work. A workaround (only useful to be able to switch back to dgpu, the system is still broken) is to use ls /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 instead (and boot a couple of times, as the first one we get some pretty segmentation fault). For example:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1
    sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/ amdconfig --px-dgpu
    Trying to fix those I installed version 13.2beta7 again directly using AMD installer, which proved to be not better nor worse (except that probably screwed up a bit more the problem with the libraries). I will for sure try to fix the mess with my messy installation and all the other problems soon enough, after I rest a bit from so much restarting the machine (and perhaps doing something useful with the computer, for a change!). If I find something I will post it here. In any case, a note of optimism: my current setup is already good enough and I believe things are gonna get much more hassle-free when ubuntu raring is released.
    Last edited by petecan; March 11th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Beans

Hi all!

2. Upgrade
      Code:
    5. REBOOT
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update 
      sudo apt-get -y upgrade 
    7. Reboot

Hi, i have HP ProBook 4730s with Intel HD3000 integrated and AMD Radeon HD 6490M discrete graphic cards, and fresh install of Linux Mint 14 ( Ubuntu 12.10).
    I tried this tutorial and after installing 13.1 drivers, Xserver didn't start, but in terminal run rest of command and everything works ok.
    I run Catalyst Control Center and switch to my Intel card.... after restart all works.
    But there is one problem....

After installing everything i installed latest version of Adobe Flash player downloaded from their website... and after installation Xserver didn't started... i try to reinstall everything but nothing helps.

What could be the problem with Adobe Flash and this drivers?
    Last edited by snake2903; March 15th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast