Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Quote Originally Posted by huxtee View Post
    Hi Beidl I have tried the process again from the beginning,
    I have upgraded x-org, unity, and linux kernals from the PPAs
    ppa:andrikos/ppa
    ppa:unity-team/sru
    ppaorg-edgers/ppa

but when I reboot and log in every thing seems ok except their is no unity.
    Code:
    brian@brian-inspiron5520:~$ unity
    The program 'unity' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install unity
    brian@brian-inspiron5520:~$ sudo apt-get install unity
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     unity : Depends: libunity-core-6.0-5 (= 6.12.0+bzr2799sruubuntu0+806) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libunity-protocol-private0 (>= 6.12.0) but 6.10.0+bzr188sruubuntu0+152 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Do you have any ppa's that contain modified unity versions? I can't imagine there would be dependency problems because would have them as well.

@markackerman8@gmail.com, as long as both 10fglrx and 11switchable are in the Xsessions.d folder, there shouldn't be any problem. Maybe pull the power once because that's what I had to do.
    Maybe you guys can retry this without the Unity SRU ppa.
    And as long as you pin the packages, there should be no issue when an upgrade tries to overwrite the modified intel xorg drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

[QUOTE=beidl

@markackerman8@gmail.com, as long as both 10fglrx and 11switchable are in the Xsessions.d folder, there shouldn't be any problem. Maybe pull the power once because that's what I had to do.
    Maybe you guys can retry this without the Unity SRU ppa.
    And as long as you pin the packages, there should be no issue when an upgrade tries to overwrite the modified intel xorg drivers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Beidle,
    w.r.t. the unity ppa - it is the only thing which seemed odd to me in your initial instructions (the only thing I understood - anyway). Another odd thing, is that though I do have a /etc/X11/Xsessions.d/10fglrx file though it is a type of a shortcut, as it is only 0 kBs, and in properties says it points to: /etc/alternatives/x86_64-linux-gnu_10fglrx,
    which is also a "pointer" and in turn points to: /usr/lib/fglrx/10fglrx,
    Which is finally a "text" type file and its' contents are:

LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
    fi
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    fi
    fi
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH

This code means little to me, though may help you understand what is hanging my system with the fglrx drivers installed "and more importantly configured". Wow and I thought with you having such great knowledge, and a similar System that we might be able to finally get my discrete card functional arghh.
    Both: HP, Intel HD3000, 6850m (6000 series), muxless, and Kubuntu 21.10 with bleeding edge Kernel 3.7.0...

I will give it your new suggestion a try ("retry this without the Unity SRU ppa"), though I don't know how it will effect my Kubuntu "Unity-Less" system. I guess you mean a New fresh re-install of Kubuntu 12.10 yet again, huh. Well why not? Anything to get this working.

If you have any troubleshooting steps you would like to have me try - I will try Anything Beidl. Especially if it would help me understand this 12 moth old Nightmare a little better in the process.

Mark
    markackerman8@gmail.com
    and feel free to email me directly - And for those interested in the development of this - I promise to post a complete solution if EVER it gets solved.
    edit **
    I researched the 10fglrx file issue and google referred me back to this websites first page Step 2:
    "STEP 2 - Enabling, fixing the bug for direct rendering on the integrated card :"
    WHICH I HAVE NEVER DONE !!!!!!!!!!! this would be a HUGE error on my part should it prove to be why I have 11 months of Disfunctionality - WOW - Wish me luck
    Last edited by markackerman8@gmail.com; December 7th, 2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Step 2 - Page1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markackerman8@gmail.com View Post
    edit **
    I researched the 10fglrx file issue and google referred me back to this websites first page Step 2:
    "STEP 2 - Enabling, fixing the bug for direct rendering on the integrated card :"
    WHICH I HAVE NEVER DONE !!!!!!!!!!! this would be a HUGE error on my part should it prove to be why I have 11 months of Disfunctionality - WOW - Wish me luck
    Make sure to first try the tutorial on the first page with Ubuntu 12.04 with Catalyst 12.9 (all newer versions have problems from my testing)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beidl View Post
    Make sure to first try the tutorial on the first page with Ubuntu 12.04 with Catalyst 12.9 (all newer versions have problems from my testing)
    Beidl
    you rock, thanks. I was just about to try a new install after thelast changes didnt alow me toget to the login screan withough deleting xorg.cong with iether Igpu or dgpu active arghhhh. But I sure will try with what you suggested. am happy to change a few things up. I am going to stick with Kununtu though unless you offer any reason to the contrary - Unity SUCKS !!! LOL

Thanks, Mark

Beans

Beidl
    you rock, thanks. I was just about to try a new install after thelast changes didnt alow me toget to the login screan withough deleting xorg.cong with iether Igpu or dgpu active arghhhh. But I sure will try with what you suggested. am happy to change a few things up. I am going to stick with Kununtu though unless you offer any reason to the contrary - Unity SUCKS !!! LOL

Thanks, Mark
    If everything goes right, you'd have to the following just to be safe:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post242611
    Else, the effects settings won't stay turned on after a log out (of course, that's another big problem with fglrx)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beidl View Post
    If everything goes right, you'd have to the following just to be safe:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post242611
    Else, the effects settings won't stay turned on after a log out (of course, that's another big problem with fglrx)
    Beidl,
    Thanks for sticking with the "CAUSE". so far as ALWAYS -always always, and I mean Always (11 months with a renewed attempt every month or two and hundreds of hours - EVERY TIME - as soon as I:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    sudo reboot
    The installation is screwed and only reboots into tty1, the only solution EVER (so far) at this point is to delete the xorg.conf file, and reboot.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot my fglrx problem?

I would be happy to list re4sults from:
    sudo lshw | less
    dmesg | grep drm
    glxinfo | egrep render
    or ANY OTHER COMMAND - AS I DON'T KNOW MUCH ?

PLEASE !!!!! and THANKS.

Mark,
    p.s. Beidl - of course I will try your last suggestion - but I am quite certain - that compositing - enabled or disabled in Compiz is the least of my worries. If I could see Compiz at all I would be elated

edit:
    tried to get back into Kubuntu with fglrx driver installed but not configured (no xorg.conf) again, which usually is no problem - and now a new thing ... It starts up w a black screen (I hear it logging in - ODD?). Tried everything (all fail safe modes and tty1 update/upgrade, and a few other things - no luck. Oh well what's another day without a new install of Kubuntu (insert sarcastic grin here)
    At this point I refuse to try a reinstall unless anyone has any new suggestions - PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by markackerman8@gmail.com; December 8th, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: No luck Update - Help !

Beans

So, where to start...?

First of all thanks to all of you, this thread made my life with my HP dv6-6180eg much more easier!

I have an Intel3000/HD6770M and only with the 12.11 beta drivers I could get my HP work properly.

But I have one issue: I can't toggle the screen backlight, but I found a fix to it:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"
    The thing now is that I neither can swith off nor reboot my dv6. Even when I get rid of those arguments in my /etc/default/grub file, I can't do it.

Does anyone have a fix to this? This is the only thing which doesn't work on my dv6...

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Shinylenin,
    Being a fellow HP user (mine HP Envy 17-2195), did you do anything special to get the proprietary drivers to work, as NO MATTER what I try I can't restart "X", after aticonfig - 11 months of trying and continuing - arghhh.
    Thanks, Mark

Beans

Shinylenin,
    Being a fellow HP user (mine HP Envy 17-2195), did you do anything special to get the proprietary drivers to work, as NO MATTER what I try I can't restart "X", after aticonfig - 11 months of trying and continuing - arghhh.
    Thanks, Mark
    Hey Mark,

I am not sure if I can help you with your problem, but I can at least tell you how I got my HP to work.

1. I made a fresh install and did an update
    2. Then I excecuted this command from beidl's post:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:andrikos/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
      to update the drivers for the integrated Intel chip.
    3. I did NOT update my kernel to 3.7 because apparently the driver for my ATI card is not fully supported by the new kernel.
    4. Then I excecuted each command provided by the first post
    5. I didn't install driver 12.10 but the newest beta driver 12.11 since I couldn't start X with the officially released one.

I am not sure if this is going to help you but if you can change the graphic chip in your BIOS settings, change it to the dGPU (I guess you have an ATI chip).

I hope this will help somehow!

Beans

Hello everybody,

I am really glad that my updated packages manage to go around bug: #1068404.

For hybrid fglrx/intel setups to function properly there is still bug: #1088220

Practically this makes X server crash when using the integrated GPU. On my setup it crashes in the beginning of every second reboot.

If anyone had this problem and managed to solve it, let me know and I will update my packages to include this solution

Thanks,
    Nick

Page 56 of 89 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast