Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Script for Intalling & Uninstalling Amd Catalyst drivers.
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...cript_solution

Beans

Is anyone else having problems with the integrated intel gpu in 64bit quantal?

I am using catalyst 12.11b8 (have tried older versions as well) and the andrik ppa for the xserver intel piece. dgpu works fantastic, but if I switchto igpu, my system locks up at boottime about 9 out of 10 times.

Any ideas?
    -J

Beans

Smile Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Thanks, this solution works for:

DELL inspiron 7520 SE

ps.
    I used 12.10 ADM drivers instead of 12.04

Beans

Working great on my HP Envy 15 3033cl with Radeon HD 7690M/Intel.

Running Kubuntu 12.10

Thank you!

Note:

I have ran into this little problem twice, and have stumbled onto the solution twice after finding no answers for it on the internet. Probably because most of the users are installing through Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu.

After I install the catalyst driver and I check to make sure that I am switched to the AMD GPU, I run the "glxgears" demo. The demo starts, but there isn't any movement, it just sits still. If you grab the window and move it around, then you can see the gears moving. The same thing happens with Blender, a 3D modeling and rendering program.

After days of frustration, and no answers to my problem online, I stumbled on the problem. Under System Settings>Desktop Effects>Advanced(tab)>, the "Compositing Type" was set to xRender. After switching this to OpenGL everything begins working as it should. I guess this makes sense, since both of these applications are OpenGL dependent.

My guess is after first installing Kubuntu it defaults to xRender compositing, seeing that it couldn't install any additional drivers during the OS installation. If I do a fresh install in the near future, I will keep an eye on this.

If you are trying to install the catalyst driver on Kubuntu 12.10, and you run into this problem, I hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

FINALLY a working Ubuntu

Kubuntu 12.10 : (same as Ubuntu 12.10) seems to be why Muxless cards works Finally after 11 months of trying every combination of proprietery driver installation and Open Source mesa drivers. And being stuck in windows. Note it is ONLY with the Open Source Mesa Drivers, not the FGLRX drivers from either "Additional Drivers", or Downloaded and compiled from AMD's website.
    Until now it has been uselessly flickering like hell - at best, or unable to login with "X", at worst. And any 3d rendering -was MINIMAL at best so that even Unity couldn't run in my HP Envy 17-2196ca - Top of the LINE $2000 computer, and Games - Not A chance to even load a screen.
    Some Details
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
    - [ATI/ Mobility Radeon HD 6850m Series],
    - Kernel module - radeon
    - OpenGL/ES version - 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-54ff536 quantal-oibaf-ppa)
    - Kubuntu 12.10 - linux kernel 3.6.8

• 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Nov, 2012, latest 9.1 is bleeding edge! - Awesome
    ∘ Now - OpenGL/ES version - 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-54ff536 quantal-oibaf-ppa), after
    ‣ - sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
    • and as a Diff., WAS ABLE TO GO FROM MEDIUM TO HIGH EFFECTS IN GAME - League of Legends - very high still bad (windows handled it well)
    • Fglrx driver on benchmark website shows 100-300% better performance, though the open source is catching up with -10-50% better with Git version 3.1 Mesa vs 3.0
    • Ubuntu - kernel linux 3.5.0-19 - 2012-Oct-12, latest stable 3.6 - 2012-Nov-26 - awesome, and made League of Legends run even noticable better.

I will try yet again the Fglrx drivers now that 12.10 ubuntu is so functional.
    and Note **KDE in Kubuntu is made for better 3D gaming Support with their Plasm Desktop setup, and has finally got me switched from Gnome - and it is turning out to be way more forward thinking and in the mind of high perfrmance desktop and gaming computer - putting unity and gnome to shame!!

Good Luck
    and any questions feel free o contact me
    Mark
    markackerman8(at)gmail.com

Beans

I was able to get a (almost) perfectly working Quantal setup on my HP ProBook 4730s (HD 3000 + Radeon 6470M), did a direct upgrade from Precise.
    Before upgrading, I purged fglrx from my system, also removed the xorg.conf by hand of course.
    Upgraded Precise -> Quantal and reboot.
    Then I added Nick Andrik's ppa, updating and upgrading the packages.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:andrikos/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    The packages "xserver-xorg-video-intel" and "xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg" should be upgraded to Nick's compatible ones afterwards.
    I pinned those packages by modifying/creating the file /etc/apt/preferences. "What's the content of that file?" you might ask.
    Code:
    Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Pin: version 2:2.20.9-0ubuntu2+andrik2
    Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg
    Pin: version 2:2.20.9-0ubuntu2+andrik2
    Pin-Priority: 1001
    Now, because why not, it's time to install pending SRU's to our system.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:unity-team/sru && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    This upgrades your Unity and Compiz packages to newer ones which have fixes for unredirected rendering.
    Those fixes will be merged into the mainline Unity and Compiz sources, but we are bleeding edge people, right?
    Useful if you are in the Steam for Linux Beta but you don't want to leave Unity just for gaming!

Then I've added the xorg edgers ppa and upgraded packages again.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    NOTE: If your Linux kernel doesn't get updated automatically, install it manually with "sudo apt-get install linux".
    In case some dependencies are missing, use autocomplete in the terminal to install the 3.7 image and header files.
    At the time of this post, the newest version should be 3.7.0-4-generic.

NOW IT'S TIME TO INSTALL THAT SON OF A BAD MOTHER CALLED FGLRX!

NOTE: If you are in the Steam for Linux Beta, you might want to download the fglrx version 9.010 beta, NOT beta 8.
    Beta 8 has a known problem which causes Steam to segfault. In that case, download that older version,
    build the packages manually, install them using standard "dpkg -i" procedures AND pin all the fglrx packages in /etc/apt/preferences.

But if you don't care about all that fancy stuff:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-dev; sudo amdconfig --initial -f; sudo amdconfig --px-dgpu
    Also, do the usual 10fglrx modifications (or you use my xsession script from my github repo... or even better, install my AMD Indicator applet ).
    NOTE: If the installation fails, fglrx has not been patched with kernel 3.7 compatibility.
    That means you would have to patch one of fglrx's files.
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7.0-4-generic/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7.0-4-generic/include/linux/version.h
    cd ~
    wget http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/files/arch-fglrx-3.7.patch
    cd /usr/src/fglrx-9.010/
    sudo patch < ~/arch-fglrx-3.7.patch
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo amdconfig --initial -f; sudo amdconfig --px-dgpu
    Everything should be fine now... except of a few discrepancies.

I've noticed that the IGPU would hang after a few minutes of using. I'm not sure how exactly I got rid of this, but my combination of
    tweaks consists of a few kernel argument tweaks and setting compiz's refresh rate to 59 rather than 60 (using ccsm of course).
    My kernel arguments in /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force acpi_osi=Linux reboot=acpi"
    I'm not sure when I'll hit a GPU hang again, but in case it hits you, just "CTRL-ALT-F1" into tty1, wait a few seconds, or even login in this bash
    and get the dmesg output for further inspection. Then just go back to tty7 using "CTRL-ALT-F7".
    I've been able to write this post without a single GPU hang, even when provocating the system with a lot of window movements,
    workspace switches and window spread madness.

The only 3 minor problems which I'm facing now:
    1) I shut down my laptop with the IGPU being activated. After a few hours (mostly over night) I try to boot into Ubuntu again, but it hangs at the splash screen,
    probably just before handing over the display 'n stuff to X.
    In that case, I hard reset my laptop by long-pressing the power button and boot up again. It should work then.

2) Also with the IGPU being activated, starting the Catalyst Control Center causes the X server to be killed, so I have to log back in.
    If you want to switch the active GPU, either use a Terminal or my indicator.

3) Using my indicator, switching from the IGPU to the DGPU, the DGPU isn't being picked up after the X server is killed. Workaround in my AMD Indicator:
    Replacing "sudo pkill X" with "sudo reboot" in my /usr/lib/amdindicator/*gpuon scripts.

It worked after a lot of trial and error, but now everything seems to work fine. I'm a pretty happy camper now!
    I'm even running the latest stable kernel now, which is awesome if you are after that bleeding edge Linux crack.

If you are brave enough to try it, tell me if it worked for you.
    Last edited by beidl; December 4th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just tried my hundreth attemp to install Fglrx drivers after seeing some optimism from Nicola's Intel fix from Post #503. I installed the to .deb packages but they weren't the:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg_2.20.0-0~andrik1_XXX.deb
    and
    xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.0-0~andrik1_XXX.deb

as the link only has these now:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.9-0ubuntu2+andrik2_amd64.deb
    and
    xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg_2.20.9-0ubuntu2+andrik2_amd64.deb

I installed them and rebooted without his next command:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure Xorg
    which failed in starting in Terminal mode (no X) and luckily I had another compter to find my error so ran the aforemntiond config command from termianl, with no errors but still couldn't get to the login screen. It gets close but then goes to a black terminal type screen w text login - arghhhh. removing xorg.conf doesn'y help this time either. I wish i had a tutor for this 11 months and still no fglrx driver.

I am trying yet another reinstall and will use a ppa for the andrik1 !!!! and update it (xserver-xorg-video-intel) through synaptik, and do a restart aafter a
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure Xorg - I guess
    and then try my last fglrx attempt (12.10 again) for the next 2 months argghhh. Unless anyone has any new ideas. I get immediate email notification so I will respond quickly to any suggestions. And of course if I get it working I will indeed report it and how I did it.

Cheers, Mark

p.s. I will try EVERYTHING I can mange in the above post I just read - though I don't understand half of it -

wish me luck Beidl
    Last edited by markackerman8@gmail.com; December 4th, 2012 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Beidl HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I did everything you said up to the point of installing the fglrx drivers, and then <i did a reboot for good measure, and everything seemed soooo good, up to date everything went so well !!!!!!!!

then it after the fglrx and a reboot, the <<<<kubuntu screen teawsed me that it was going to get to the loginscreen but then bammmmm
    black login terminal type screen AGAIN

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try anything to get back into Ubuntu - I hate windows !

Thanks in advance, Mark

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markackerman8@gmail.com View Post
    Beidl HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I did everything you said up to the point of installing the fglrx drivers, and then <i did a reboot for good measure, and everything seemed soooo good, up to date everything went so well !!!!!!!!

then it after the fglrx and a reboot, the <<<<kubuntu screen teawsed me that it was going to get to the loginscreen but then bammmmm
    black login terminal type screen AGAIN

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try anything to get back into Ubuntu - I hate windows !

Thanks in advance, Mark
    Which GPU did you activate prior to reboot?
    Also, which FGLRX version did you install?

EDIT: Apply the patch to fglrx and run the following command in tty1 (CTRL-ALT-F1):
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure fglrx; sudo amdconfig --px-igpu
    Shutdown, pull your battery for a few seconds, turn on.
    You should boot into the login screen. Log in, and switch to the DGPU:
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --px-dgpu; sudo reboot
    Last edited by beidl; December 4th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Beidu, I have followed your instruction but things didn't turn out so well. After installing the beta catalyst drivers upon rebooting, xorg seems to have broke. I managed to purge fglrx and delete xorg.conf and get the gui working again but unity is not working.

Im using a dell inspiron 5520 with an i5(intergrated HD4000) and 7600m graphics.

Kernal
    Code:
    brian@brian-inspiron5520:~$ uname -a
    Linux brian-inspiron5520 3.7.0-4-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 28 09:30:01 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    X
    Code:
    brian@brian-inspiron5520:~$ X -version

X.Org X Server 1.13.0.901 (1.13.1 RC 1)
    Release Date: 2012-11-22
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-32-xen x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux brian-inspiron5520 3.7.0-4-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 28 09:30:01 UTC 2012 x86_64
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.7.0-4-generic root=UUID=ff1fc86f-2930-4c2a-9f29-63733532ac52 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    Build Date: 23 November 2012  10:45:25AM
    xorg-server 2:1.13.0.901+git20121123+server-1.13-branch.c0e68f8e-0ubuntu0ricotz~quantal (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Here's the output from installing fglrx
    Code:
    brian@brian-inspiron5520:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx_9.010-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously unselected package fglrx.
    (Reading database ... 290438 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking fglrx (from fglrx_9.010-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
    Setting up fglrx (2:9.010-0ubuntu1) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdcccle because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdxdg-su because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdxdg-su (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdcccle.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdcccle.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdccclesu.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdccclesu.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdcccle because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdcccle.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdcccle.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdccclesu.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdccclesu.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdxdg-su because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdxdg-su (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
    update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Loading new fglrx-9.010 DKMS files...
    First Installation: checking all kernels...
    Building only for 3.7.0-4-generic
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Building initial module for 3.7.0-4-generic
    ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.7.0-4-generic is not supported
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.7.0-4-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/9.010/build/make.log for more information.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.7.0-4-generic
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Please tell if you need any more details, thanks.
    Brian Huxtable

Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast