Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

I have a AMD Radeon HD 8670M+Intel hybrid under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. Upon installation of Ubuntu jockey seemed to automatically install the proprietary fglrx drivers (I think version 13.10.10, at least this is module loaded in dmesg log). Most things seem to work, although if I do "modinfo fglrx" it doesn't find the module (despite "lsmod | grep fglrx" showing references to such a module, and the xorg log showing it loading). Why is this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael84 View Post
    I have a AMD Radeon HD 8670M+Intel hybrid under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. Upon installation of Ubuntu jockey seemed to automatically install the proprietary fglrx drivers (I think version 13.10.10, at least this is module loaded in dmesg log). Most things seem to work, although if I do "modinfo fglrx" it doesn't find the module (despite "lsmod | grep fglrx" showing references to such a module, and the xorg log showing it loading). Why is this?
    I realise now that the answer to this is that the module is being "aliased":

modprobe --resolve-alias fglrx
    fglrx_experimental_13

grep -r fglrx /etc/modprobe.d/
    /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf:# This file was installed by fglrx-experimental-13
    /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf:alias fglrx fglrx_experimental_13

thus " modinfo fglrx_experimental_13" is what I should be running. Nothing to get worried about after all.

Beans
    Hidden!

So, after days of screwing around with varying instructions, I finally got my Samsung Chronos 7 video working. This laptop uses an intel/AMD hybrid graphics:

Code:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] (rev ff)

As described here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/HybridGraphics , All I had to do was remove all fglrx related packages, remove the xorg.conf (I never had one before anyway, move yours somewhere safe if you want a backup), purge packages from other xorg PPAs, and install fglrx and fglrx-pxpress:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
    sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
    sudo rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo aptitude install  fglrx fglrx-pxpress
    After that, my AMD graphics was working for the first time (e.g. I could run glxgears, and fglrxinfo). But the AMD card was causing really glitchy graphics, so I used AMDCCLE to switch to the internal car (intel), which works well.

The computer now runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than it did before. I'm not sure why that is - the link above mentions that this will happen for nvidia, but not for AMD, but maybe it's something similar. If anyone knows how to cool it back down on the intel GPU, or stop the glitching on the AMD GPU, let me know.
    Last edited by naught101; January 10th, 2014 at 04:24 AM.
    http://wiki.envirowiki.info/ - the wiki resource for environmentalists and activists.

"This is the first age that's ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one." - Arthur C. Clarke

Beans

i see lot of people with problems here. if you want a good support install ubuntu 14.04 (is alpha i know but its really stable) it works just fine. enable vsync with amd discret (no tearing). i test with intel hd 3000 and amd 6770m. ubuntu 12.04 12.10 (really bad) or even 13.04 not work well or simply not work

Beans

I have DELL Inspiron 3721 (certified by Canonical for Ubuntu ) and same problem with integrated Intel and discrete AMD Radeon HD 7670M.
    Helped to me:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-pxpress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Not to derail this entire thread, but on my Samsung Chronos 7 (Intel HD 3000, Radeon HD 6400M) I have Catalyst 13.12 running on kernel 3.13 (edit: on Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy) thanks to this thread:
    New Catalyst 13.12 non-beta is out!

Which leads to these kernel debs:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa.../v3.13-trusty/

And these Catalyst debs:
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...aller-updates/

Catalyst 13.12 needs at least kernel 3.12 for its DKMS modules though, so run at your own risk. But the drivers from the original post and in the standard repos are now pretty old.
    Last edited by polyrhythmic; January 28th, 2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Add distro version since I have all of 8 beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Latest AMD fglrx beta driver 14.3 beta V1.0 B22 from 12/03/2014 works wonderfully on Ubuntu 13.10 with Intel Linux Graphic Installer 1.0.4;
    Considerations:
    latest AMD fglrx beta driver 14.3 v1.0 b22 is running great on my laptop HP dv6 with AMD Radeon HD6770M and Intel core i7 2nd gen and Intel HD Graphics 3000.
    After its installation, system is quiet as NEVER and very cold. Performance is better based on my experience.
    IMO this is the best driver EVER from AMD. I hope you all enjoy the same experience than me
    Installation as following:

OBS: Supposing that you already had uninstalled any fglrx driver from you distribution

First, update/install Intel Linux Graphics Installer 1.0.4 for Ubuntu 13.10, you can get it here.
    64 bits OSes:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/13.10/main/pool/main/i/intel-linux-graphics-installer/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4-0intel1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4-0intel1_amd64.deb
    32 bits OSes:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/13.10/main/pool/main/i/intel-linux-graphics-installer/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4-0intel1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4-0intel1_i386.deb
    It would be interesting adding following Intel licensing keys for driver updates validation:
    Code:
    wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg -O - | \
    sudo apt-key add -
    wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg-2 -O - | \
    sudo apt-key add -
    then execute Intel Linux Graphics Installer on dash or through terminal:
    Code:
    intel-linux-graphics-installer
    Follow instructions (Begin > Install > Next...) until it finishes successfully. Rebot is necessary after it succeeds

Before installing, latest AMD fglrx driver, lets install dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases linux-headers-generic libqtgui4
    x64 bits must install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1
    Now, lets install latest AMD fglrx 14.3 Beta v1.0 B22 and its initial settings:
    download it here, or wget through following commands:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/Linux_AMD_Catalyst_14.3_Beta_V1.0_B22_March12_2014.zip
    unzip Linux_AMD_Catalyst_14.3_Beta_V1.0_B22_March12_2014.zip
    cd fglrx-13.35.1005/
    chmod a+x amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run
    sudo ./amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    sudo amdconfig --initial -f
    Must Reboot now

if installation was successful, Ubuntu will display naturally.
    I recommend next settings to configure your AMD card to run smoothly and tear-free:
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --sync-vsync=on$ sudo amdconfig --sync-video=on
    sudo amdconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,PP_PhmUseDummyBackEnd,1
    sudo amdconfig --set-pcs-u32=DDX,EnableTearFreeDesktop,1
    Enjoy your system!
    Last edited by Niccola; March 31st, 2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: fix forgotten chars

Beans

While I'm searching through this thread I wonder if someone will be able to shed some light on my problem. I am using a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537.

I have the following result from a lspci | grep VGA:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Venus PRO [Radeon HD 8850M]
    I need to use the beta drivers, which is all well and good. I can install them and they operate fine using the discrete GPU. If change the graphics chip using the AMD CCC to the Intel gpu and then reboot I have no problem. However if I try and change back to the discrete GPU after this I need to go back and then uninstall and then reinstall the drivers from AMD because the gui encounters an error and needs to run in low graphics mode.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Changing via aticonfig or the GUI produces the same result.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by HonorableGoat View Post
    While I'm searching through this thread I wonder if someone will be able to shed some light on my problem. I am using a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537.

I have the following result from a lspci | grep VGA:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Venus PRO [Radeon HD 8850M]
    I need to use the beta drivers, which is all well and good. I can install them and they operate fine using the discrete GPU. If change the graphics chip using the AMD CCC to the Intel gpu and then reboot I have no problem. However if I try and change back to the discrete GPU after this I need to go back and then uninstall and then reinstall the drivers from AMD because the gui encounters an error and needs to run in low graphics mode.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Changing via aticonfig or the GUI produces the same result.
    Man, could you please share more details about your problem?

Try to switch between cards using following commands and share results...

switch to integrated graphic card:
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --px-igpu
    switch to discrete graphic unit:
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --px-dgpu
    P.S.: You don't need to reboot your system. Only log out and log in back again...

Please share your results (with more details, if possible)

Beans

Hey, sorry about that, you have pretty much given me the solution (kind of) below. My issue was changing between the graphics cards on my laptop.

I can swap using the command lines below, without restarting.

My problem now is that if I leave it on the integrated graphics and reboot then I get put into low graphics mode and have to uninstall proprietary drivers and reinstall to get it all back up in running. Trying to switch from the terminal while getting put into low graphics mode tells me that no supported cards are found. Is this normal?

I don't mind having to stay in the dedicated graphics mode but it would be nice to be able to run integrated graphics without having to worry about this.. I'm still toying around with drivers and a few things.

Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast