Page 84 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Quote Originally Posted by Niccola View Post
    Please everyone with Intel+AMD Hybrid Graphic cards READ this:
    [...]
    Since the productive system of my girlfriend is affected with the ATI switchable issue I just can't try what you said right now. She really needs her system to be up and running atm. I wonder if anybody (including you, Niccola) knows if this mehtods will run with "the old muxed systems. They used to work with only one old catalyst in the past. I really wonder why they shutted down the support later on

Beans

I managed to work all both graphics card on my vaio vpcsb with ubuntu 13.10:

Do a fresh install,do all the updates , install amdcccle and amdxdg-su with :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install amdcccle amdxdg-su
    reboot, launch amdcccle, choose your graphic card ad log out.

TLTR:

It's works guy! near out of the box

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'll create a guide to install Hybrid Graphics on Ubuntu 13.10 with latest beta driver (13.11beta6). I'm already running it on my box. However, Ubuntu 13.10 already implements and supports Hybrid Graphics by installing following packages:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-pxpress
    reboot and try! Please don't forget to post results!

source: Ubuntu Wiki

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

As expected, instructions in my last post install successfully fglrx driver on Ubuntu 13.10 derived. This driver is supported by official Ubuntu Canonical Team and may be error free and Ubuntu friendly.

I do recommend people who don't have latest graphic cards and those who don't want to command line, but prefers simple ways. Follow next steps:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-pxpress
    then reboot and voilà! everything works out of box!

But if you want enjoy latest drivers provided by AMD, follow my post #815, taking care the following:

1 - It is no necessary to install Intel Linux Graphic Installer on Ubuntu 13.10 systems because It has already latest graphic drivers provided by Intel
    2 - It is no more necessary to install ia32-libs package because multi-arch linux was totally merged on Ubuntu 13.10

So, download latest driver from AMD (today is 13.11beta6) and install is as guided step by step on post #815

You can also follow instructions at wiki.cchtml unofficial guide

Best Regards all!

Beans

Hello to everyone!
    I did what the very first tutorial in this thread suggested step by step but I just achieved that the graphics didn't work anymore.
    I am using an HP pavillon dv6 running Ubuntu 12.04 and when I rebooted my laptop after having done everything he gave me the screen "The system is running in low-graphics mode", so that all I could do was restoring last working graphic setting.
    Someone can help me?

Thanks!

Beans

Your laptop sucks as my does: as i can judge by my li'l experience of using ubuntu+hp, hp has a muxless system which is unsupported by proprietary drivers. All i can advice you - use opensource drivers. Low performance, overheating, but no black screens at least.

Beans

Samsung series 7 with radeon 6750m works fine with ubuntu 13.10 and latest drivers. No issue found for 3 days of usage. (with exception the black tabs in chrome on discrete graphics)
    Last edited by sarvigalava; November 2nd, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Beans

I did not try to install Catalyst anymore, I was trying to install it in all ways but it is impossible. Xserver-xorg-video-ati works fine but I am damned to play games on Windows :/

A good Hybrid Graphics support is a support that not forces you to waste hours of your time tweaking and cheating and testing to install a single driver.

Beans

I've been trying for 2 days straight, but I can't seem to get switchable graphics working for me. I run debian wheezy with gdm 3. The dedicated gpu works just fine, but when I want to switch to integrated gpu, the whole thing derps like crazy... Gnome wont start and fglrxinfo tells me uable to open display(null). I used the instructions on http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian . I followed the package manager approach. I'm certain I haven't set up catalyst right to work with the intel gpu...

btw: I'm on a dell inspiron 14z(5423, 3rd generation Intel HD graphics, AMD Radeon HD7570M, if I'm not mistaken.

Beans

Yes, it works, it's time for champagne, unless there were not some weird problems after that:
    1) With Intel GPU, the bad is that my PC hangs upon Xfce logout. The good: Intel's driver works very well, vsync is on, no tearing in VLC, no tearing in OpenGL, some lagging when you drag windows in xfce.
    2) With ATI GPU, and monitor@VGA output, vsync is not switchable on by any means (0x00000800 flag, TexturedVideoSync, Wait to vertical refresh always on in control center). Strong video tearing in VLC, CPU usage - one of the cores is 100% when rendering OpenGL apps. Since I can't watch tear-free video, it's unusable for anything than gaming. The good: PC doesn't hang upon Xfce logout.

All this tested with Xubuntu 12.10 + Compton OpenGL compositor (to prevent tearing caused by xfwm4's built-in compositor).
    Machine: 1.5yr. old Dell Vostro 3350, Core i7 for Intel GPU, Radeon HD 6400M/7400M ATI Caicos, external monitor @ VGA output.

I think I'm going to remove fglrx and return to switcheroo way of disabling the DGPU, because I felt that X.org startup was faster. Also there werent the hang problems on XFCE logout.
    The problems were: 1) hang when resume from suspend-to-ram in ATI atombios. 2) vgaswitcheroo interface didn't manage to switch DGPU off from rc.local, so I had to run rc.local again by hand - in terminal.
    My advice: Stay away from hybrid graphics. You can see that in every case there are problems. Use laptops with single GPU to save your nerves.
    Problem 1) has workaround here: Fix Suspend - wake freeze.
    Last edited by AngelGenchev; November 29th, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: new nfo from Ubuntu 13.10

Page 84 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast