Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Smile Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Hi there,

I've managed to install the fglrx driver and use the external graphics adapter.
    The problem is the new intel graphics driver.

Here's what I did:

0. Ensure that you have the deb files for the current AMD driver (created with --buildpkg as described in previous posts)

1. open a shell and download a previous version of the intel driver and it's dependencies:

Code:
    mkdir temp
    cd temp
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/119461148/libudev0_175-0ubuntu13_i386.deb
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/111621162/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    2. remove the eventually installed fglrx and the installed intel drivers. When removing the intel driver let it remove both packages

Code:
    cd ..
    sudo apt-get remove fglrx*
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
    3. install the older driver with its dependencies

Code:
    cd temp
    sudo dpkg -i libudev*
    sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    4. now install the fglrx packages (go to the folder containing the fglrx deb files). Warnings about defect link groups can be ignored (at least I did )
    Code:
    cd <your folder with fglrx drivers>
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    5. backup and remove the existing xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    6. create a new config file and switch to the external graphics adapter

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    7. reboot

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

I have tried this on my new HP Pavillion G6-2303sh-d4y36ea that has a HD7670. When I try to run aticonfig It says "No supported adapters detected". Also I did not update the BIOS, because I don't have Windows on the computer. I can't get the graphics working. I also had an issue with the wifi, so I'm using 12.04 x64 with a 3.6.6 kernel. The graphics card shows up in lspci. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also my touchpad stopped working after rebooting.
    Last edited by laci37; April 27th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BastiFantasti View Post
    Hi there,

Here's what I did:
    That worked for me.
    My card was not recognized at first (like previous poster), but after reinstalling the driver from AMD site (not using .deb packages) and powering the PC off and on, that finally worked.
    Only remaining problem, maybe unrelated: I cannot control the screen backlight anymore (be it using either the discrete or integrated GPU).

Note to others: Basti's steps are for 32bits setups. I had to look for 64bits packages on another source. (Take the packages from Quantal updates repository, for instance).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoo View Post
    That worked for me.
    My card was not recognized at first (like previous poster), but after reinstalling the driver from AMD site (not using .deb packages) and powering the PC off and on, that finally worked.
    Only remaining problem, maybe unrelated: I cannot control the screen backlight anymore (be it using either the discrete or integrated GPU).

Note to others: Basti's steps are for 32bits setups. I had to look for 64bits packages on another source. (Take the packages from Quantal updates repository, for instance).

What setups do you guys have? IvyBridge and 7xxx series?

Beans

Hi there,

That worked for me too.
    I install from amd installer.

I have similar problem with Aldoo - I cannot control the screen backlight and I broke Skype
    After the launch Skype I get an error:

Code:
    Segmentation fault
    I fix this using command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx --reinstall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwhirl06 View Post
    What setups do you guys have? IvyBridge and 7xxx series?
    Yes exactly.
    It's a Dell Inspiron 7520.

Ah, concerning the backlight, it was an unrelated issue (related to something else that changed in Raring, I suppose).
    It can be fixed by disabling ACPI interface for backlight control, in which case, other software will fall back to direct hardware control. To do this, just add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to your kernel options (can be added in /etc/defaults/grub in variable GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, then execute "update-grub".).

Beans

Hi there,

Here's what I did:

0. Ensure that you have the deb files for the current AMD driver (created with --buildpkg as described in previous posts)

1. open a shell and download a previous version of the intel driver and it's dependencies:

Code:
    mkdir temp
    cd temp
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/119461148/libudev0_175-0ubuntu13_i386.deb
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/111621162/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    2. remove the eventually installed fglrx and the installed intel drivers. When removing the intel driver let it remove both packages

Code:
    cd ..
    sudo apt-get remove fglrx*
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
    3. install the older driver with its dependencies

Code:
    cd temp
    sudo dpkg -i libudev*
    sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    4. now install the fglrx packages (go to the folder containing the fglrx deb files). Warnings about defect link groups can be ignored (at least I did )
    Code:
    cd <your folder with fglrx drivers>
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    5. backup and remove the existing xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    6. create a new config file and switch to the external graphics adapter

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    7. reboot

Have all the Internet Points I can give, worked a treat thanks

PS: This is on my DV6-6023TX with 64bit Kubuntu upgraded from 12.04 -> 12.10 -> 13.04. This made finding the old packages easier (in the apt cache).
    Last edited by Antarell; April 28th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

Hi,

There needs to be one more step done. The package needs to be blocked in the current version.
    This can be done using synpatic by selecting the package xserver-xorg-video-intel and clicking on:

Code:
    Package > lock version
    otherwise the package will be reverted to the newest version after the next update.

Here are some more ways on how to do it withoud synaptic: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18654...ecific-package
    Last edited by BastiFantasti; April 28th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.

Beans

I would like to know are there a way to make the 13.4 fglrx work with 13.04 intel driver? My priority is to work with integrated graphic card on ubuntu. Switch to dedicated graphics card would be nice, but roll back to old driver is not a choice, at least for me.

By the way, outside the topic: How to make ubuntu work faster and cooler? I think the fan works harder than on Windows 7, and the cpu is warmer than on Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoo View Post
    That worked for me.

Quantal updates has xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.20.9-0ubuntu2.1). Will this version work, since it is different from the one originally listed?

Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast