Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Hi, i have HP pavilion Dv6-6b80ee with Intel HD3000 integrated and AMD Radeon HD 6770M discrete graphic cards.
    my problem is "no direct rendering" with integrated graphics card

Code:
    $ glxinfo | egrep render
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2

Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx

LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then
      if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then
        LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/dri
        if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
        fi
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      fi
    fi
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH

Code:
    $ echo $LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    /usr/lib/fglrx/dri

any help please?

Beans

Has anyone tested his hybrid system with 13.04 beta release?

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix6434 View Post
    For all pangolin (32 bit) users with an AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphic Solution. It's possible to use the installation via apt. There's also a direct rendering bug on the integrated card. Here is my solution

You can install the fglrx driver via apt.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    after installation let's configure the Xserver (xorg.conf file) for the first time:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    There is also the bug for direct rendering on the integrated card. To fix it you have to edit the following file (it's nearly the same fix like the one from Niccola):

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx
    If you're using a 32bit system add at the end of 1th line this text : ":/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri" without the quotes. The file should now look like this :

Code:
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri 
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
    if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri
    if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
    fi 
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32 
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    fi 
    fi 
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    If you have the integrated card activated reboot your system.

You can check the result after the reboot with glxinfo. If direct rendering is activated, it shows "direct rendering: yes".

Code:
    glxinfo | grep rendering
    You can also test it with the glxgears command.

Unity 3d should work now in integrated mode.

thank you very much.It's working now.I've been searching for about 8 months to make it work.
    I have hp pavilion Dv6-6b80ee with intel HD3000 and AMD radeon 6770M.now direct rendering is working with integrated card
    thank you again

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

AMD has released 13.3 beta 2, now with kernel 3.7/3.8 support. For those running 13.04, packages can be built with
    Code:
    --buildpkg Ubuntu/raring
    Get it here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoDePollo View Post
    AMD has released 13.3 beta 2, now with kernel 3.7/3.8 support. For those running 13.04, packages can be built with
    Code:
    --buildpkg Ubuntu/raring
    Get it here
    I'm tring Catalyst 13.3 beta2 self built packages on a dual GPU (Intel i7/AMD 6770) HP notebook and unhopefully X can't start, nothing works so far to have a fully functional Ubuntu 13.04 graphical desktop.

Beans

Unhappy Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

I have followed step by step the guide but I have 1 problem:

When I do: "sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb" I get a system error that states that fglrx had an error while installing and thus failed to install.

Note that I used the same version and same computer as de OP.

Beans

Unhappy Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Quote Originally Posted by petecan View Post
    Thanks a million innsmouthrain (quick note, the brightness keys work with kernels >=3.7 out of the box). Knowing that there was at least someone with essentially my exact same system (a Clevo 150em + AMD 7970m) and a working linux installation was essential for me to keep the computer, as windows would have never been an option. Now I have it (sort of) working! And I believe things will get much better soon, when hopefully the drivers in the official repos will work out of the box and more and more people with enduros will be working in linux. I put my money on a couple of months after raring is released.

Right now I have an ubuntu 12.10 + 13.2beta7 drivers working, getting great performance on GPGPU computations out of the graphics card. The igpu does not work so well, the fan is always on and in order to change back to the dgpu I need to tweak LD_LIBRARY_PATH and reboot a couple of times. So at the moment I work only with the DGPU on an external screen connected via DVI.

For the records, a will distill how I got it and a few of the ways how I did not get it. During my first attempts, I was unsuccessful with either 12.04 or 12.10. This was probably my bad, as I was trying to follow the instructions in the unofficial AMD linux community, that seem to be correct if one follows them carefully. An extra complication in my case is that I was trying to make it work with my external monitor, which turns out to be another source of frustration with enduro. After a few attempts, and after realizing that there were already drivers for raring in Nick Andrik's PPA I decided to install the daily snapshot of ubuntu 13.04. That was a great success for the first few hours, as not only the graphics card was properlly set-up but also the external monitor was working much faster (with my current setup it takes about a minute to show something, then everything works well). I think xorg (intel drivers) is getting better in that release. Unfortunatelly, (my bad again) I accepted a kernel update that broke the whole system again. And then I was unable to get it working back, even reinstalling from scratch. This was really frustrating, because I can cope with early versions of the drivers and broken installation procedures, but it is harder to cope with things that sometimes work, sometimes, depending on the order things are done and the versions of the kernel/xorg/drivers.

At that point, I decided not to try anymore with raring and stick with an stable, officially supported by AMD distro. So I came back to 12.10, and as suggested by a previous post I 1) installed 13.1 using the AMD installer and 2) installed Nick Andrik's ubuntu-repack of the 13.2 beta3 drivers. With this I got the working setup I have right now. With the following annoyances:
    • The power-express settings are not remembered between sessions. So at the moment I need to open the catalyst center and change to low-performance if I want the GPU fan to stay quite while I'm not launching computations at it.
    • Some tools, like shutter, do not work properly.
    • The external monitor takes about one minute to get the image. Then it works normally, and I know that this seems to get fixed in the next release of ubunut, around the corner.
    • Switching to the intel gpu is unusable: the fan is crazy. Since it works for other people, a wild guess is that this is due to this bizarre driver installation over driver installation I have. In fact, there is a big problem with the OpenGL libraries here: the switcher/update alternatives script from AMD gets it wrong and puts a 0-sized library in /usr/lib/libGL1.2.so. This does not allow to switch back to dgpu (amdconfig) does not work. A workaround (only useful to be able to switch back to dgpu, the system is still broken) is to use ls /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 instead (and boot a couple of times, as the first one we get some pretty segmentation fault). For example:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1
    sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/ amdconfig --px-dgpu
    Trying to fix those I installed version 13.2beta7 again directly using AMD installer, which proved to be not better nor worse (except that probably screwed up a bit more the problem with the libraries). I will for sure try to fix the mess with my messy installation and all the other problems soon enough, after I rest a bit from so much restarting the machine (and perhaps doing something useful with the computer, for a change!). If I find something I will post it here. In any case, a note of optimism: my current setup is already good enough and I believe things are gonna get much more hassle-free when ubuntu raring is released.
    Glad to hear it's working out

I couldn't get dota 2 working with wine and while trying to fix it the sound unexplicably just died system-wide. I tried to find a solution on google but the endless amounts of threads about similar problems combined with the Ubuntu community's attitude of "just do this and it will work" made it a horrible experience to me.
    Imagine:
    1. Have a problem
    2. Google for error message
    3. Find a thread
    4. Reply to thread is "downgrade kernel"
    5. TS says "It worked!"
    end of story.

I really, really could not find any technical information about any problems I had. Despite browsing for hours through tons of posts.

What if I don't want to downgrade my kernel? What if I want brightness keys still intact for instance? The replies need to be of the form:

"I think this is the root cause, can you see if you have any errors in <thislog.log> ?
    Yes, it says <blahblah>
    Then changing this option/upgrading this driver/uninstalling this feature will fix it"

This way it is actually possible to fix things. Permanently. I wish this community would post technical information. Not just random "advice" without explanation.

The frustration from the quickfix attitude made me leave Ubuntu and I now have a working set-up on Arch Linux instead.

Goodbye Ubuntu, I loved you when I met you in 2004, but you seem to have grown into something that is too much like windows and too little like linux.

Beans

I've followed these instructions and my integrated/intel graphics seems to work fine, I can switch the graphics easily too. However, when a I use the discrete/High performance card, my cairo dock and its desklets, begins to flash at random without stopping, specially when I mouse over one of them the flashing becomes more intense. Do you know why this happen ? Is there anything that I do in order to fix this ?

Thanks,
    Lucas

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

AMD has released 13.3 Beta 3, this time with actual patch-notes:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etaDriver.aspx

The driver can be downloaded here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoDePollo View Post
    AMD has released 13.3 Beta 3, this time with actual patch-notes:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etaDriver.aspx

The driver can be downloaded here
    Will give this a stab now, gonna reinstall a fresh build of 12.10. See where it gets me. Has anyone gotten the new drivers to work on an 3rd Gen i7/Radeon HD 7850M combo yet?

Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast