Page 32 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Ok quick question. I checked my BIOS and found the options:

Graphics Mode:
    -Switchable Graphics
    -UMA graphics

I'm not sure, but is this basically the dynamic and fixed settings people are talking about, where UMA will only run the Intel card and not the discrete GPU?

If so, I don't plan on even using the discrete GPU inside of Ubuntu to save battery life, so can I just enable the UMA graphics setting, and avoid installing any Catalyst drivers inside Ubuntu completely?

I want to take this path because the HD 7xxx series cards have terrible Catalyst support even inside Windows, where the 12.4 Catalyst isn't even supported, so I imagine it would only be more nightmarish to work with this card's drivers in Ubuntu, ignoring the fact that I have no use for high graphics processing in Linux anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashrokz33 View Post

Graphics Mode:
    -Switchable Graphics
    -UMA graphics

I'm not sure, but is this basically the dynamic and fixed settings people are talking about, where UMA will only run the Intel card and not the discrete GPU?

If so, I don't plan on even using the discrete GPU inside of Ubuntu to save battery life, so can I just enable the UMA graphics setting, and avoid installing any Catalyst drivers inside Ubuntu completely?

I want to take this path because the HD 7xxx series cards have terrible Catalyst support even inside Windows, where the 12.4 Catalyst isn't even supported, so I imagine it would only be more nightmarish to work with this card's drivers in Ubuntu, ignoring the fact that I have no use for high graphics processing in Linux anyway.
    Yes, you could do this, if you have no use of the AMD gpu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Graphics Mode:
    -Switchable Graphics
    -UMA graphics

Have you tried driver 12.6 beta? I heard that it is working nice under gnome (I don't know about another windows manager, but you can try it out and tell us). Don't forget to report to AMD if you find bugs or driver-related problems.

According with AMD (in this link) they solved a lot of issues in 7xxx series.

What's your laptop brand/model?

You can keep the 'Switchable Graphics' BIOS options and turn off your Discrete Graphic Card by software (using Catalyst, for example). I think this option more flexible. Ok, it depends of your wish or utilization way.

I can't install Catalyst 12.6 beta because I'm developing OpenCL programs and I need the version 12.4 until official release of 12.6 and AMD APP SDK v2.7 support get confirmed! So, check it out
    Last edited by Niccola; June 20th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niccola View Post
    Have you tried driver 12.6 beta? I heard that it is working nice under gnome (I don't know about another windows manager, but you can try it out and tell us). Don't forget to report to AMD if you find bugs or driver-related problems.

According with AMD (in this link) they solved a lot of issues in 7xxx series.

What's your laptop brand/model?

You can keep the 'Switchable Graphics' BIOS options and turn off your Discrete Graphic Card by software (using Catalyst, for example). I think this option more flexible. Ok, it depends of your wish or utilization way.

I can't install Catalyst 12.6 beta because I'm developing OpenCL programs and I need the version 12.4 until official release of 12.6 and AMD APP SDK v2.7 support get confirmed! So, check it out
    Thanks for the link to that 12.6 beta driver. I read through it and didn't see any support for my card though, the 7690m. I may try to install these drivers after I get Ubuntu installed and making sure it works fine with the Intel card. I do have very limited experience with installing drivers though, so if it broke something I'd have no idea how to fix it.

And laptop brand/model is Lenovo Y470.

Beans

Okay I'm trying to do these steps in Linux Mint 13, I have a quesiton.

Will this step cause any issues in Mint? I ask because of the Ubuntu/precise at the end.
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

Also more importantly,

My HP 6121tx has an option of setting graphics to 'Dynamic' or 'Static' in the Bios. In dynamic, (In windows) CCC chooses which card to run on per application basis, and in Static, we've to manually select a card via CCC. If I want to use only the Integrated card in Linux, and I'm following the steps in post 1, which mode should I select?
    Last edited by cyanide911; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide911 View Post
    Okay I'm trying to do these steps in Linux Mint 13, I have a quesiton.

Will this step cause any issues in Mint? I ask because of the Ubuntu/precise at the end.
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

Also more importantly,

My HP 6121tx has an option of setting graphics to 'Dynamic' or 'Static' in the Bios. In dynamic, (In windows) CCC chooses which card to run on per application basis, and in Static, we've to manually select a card via CCC. If I want to use only the Integrated card in Linux, and I'm following the steps in post 1, which mode should I select?
    Dynamic switching is not supported in Linux, use the static setting (I call it manual switching). But I'm not sure so try static and if it doesn't work try dynamic. (I have doubt because my computer BIOS setting is set to dynamic, and I can't change it).

If Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu 12.04 I think it will works.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Thanks for the link to that 12.6 beta driver. I read through it and didn't see any support for my card though, the 7690m. I may try to install these drivers after I get Ubuntu installed and making sure it works fine with the Intel card. I do have very limited experience with installing drivers though, so if it broke something I'd have no idea how to fix it.

And laptop brand/model is Lenovo Y470.
    Mine wasn't listed with 12.3 but it still worked.

Beans

I'm getting this error when running sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    Ignoring this causes an issue later on.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide911 View Post
    I'm getting this error when running sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    Ignoring this causes an issue later on.
    Try "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Today appears a new update here and I've updated.
    One of package was Xorg xserver video. Now video is flickering (tearing) a lot!!! Be careful! Do not update xorg xserver video.

Page 32 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast