Page 29 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Quote Originally Posted by N0oki3 View Post
    BIOS is updated from the same day I bought this laptop. It is still version F.63
    edit: Funny thing is, before I have updated BIOS I didn't had to use nomodeset but instead everytime I have booted PC (from linux(live cd) not windows) I got errror that system went into hibernate becouse of overheating. Which is actually a lie

Like I've mentioned in post above
    Only thing I can change in BIOS is clock and boot order LOL! I am really disappointed with HP and thinking to throw it through balcony
    I'll tell you something,
    Was really hard to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in my HP dv6-6192sf. I had to put a lot of kernel parameters but still having hangs, freezing and a lot lot of reports. And this wasn't happening in 11.10, such was running wonderfully in my PC.

I recommend you to try 11.10 instead 12.04 and check if everything run fine (better than 12.04) and check again if there are another BIOS update and update it!

What's your HP model?

It isn't HP fault, but the Hybrid technology is quite "new" in the market and the software are fitting on it just now. Calm down, take it easy that everything will gonna be ok (I'm like relationship advisor, but I am not! rsrsrsrs).

Try to reinstall system (using 11.10 to test then 12.04) then install fglrx, after sudo aticonfig --initial -f reboot the system

then change the 10fglrx file add the driver path and then reboot again!

Then Change to the desired GPU and reboot last time!

Have fun!

(What I want you to know is how important is all of this reboots)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Niccola View Post
    I recommend you to try 11.10 instead
    I'm downloading it now, will reply later how it went
    and check again if there are another BIOS update and update it!
    I have back in the morning and there is no new update

Quote Originally Posted by "Niccola View Post
    What's your HP model?
    It is HP pavilion g6 1190sm

It isn't HP fault
    Well they could give us at least more freedom in BIOS
    but the Hybrid technology is quite "new" in the market and the software are fitting on it just now.
    Yeah, I hope that it will work properly and without any problems on linux.

I had to put a lot of kernel parameters
    which ? Perhaps they might help me

UPDATE: using ubuntu 11.10 oneiric: Installing drivers -> rebooting PC
    Code:
     aticonfig --initial -f
    reboot
    And at reboot it fails :
    [ 32.456929] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 65325

[ 32.461106] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 65322

[ 32.461137] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 65325

[ 32.497119] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 65322

[ 32.499075] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 260769

[ 32.510801] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 260769

[ 35.512346] init: lightdm main process (5716) terminated with status 1
    Looks like untill HP won't update BIOS with option to switch graphics or there will be fix for us from developers. I guess we cannot run unity 3D
    Last edited by N0oki3; June 10th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

Has anyone beenhaving issues with suspend? I am running a samsung series 7, and 12.6 beta fglrx. If I close the lid on the laptop, the backlight stays on (its either the backlight or keyboard light) and the system will get very hot and drain the battery in about 30 min.

opening the lid will not bring the laptop back, it's simply frozen and I need to hold down the power button.

-J

Beans
    Distro

I'm downloading it now, will reply later how it went
    run unity 3D
    Are you running with some kernel parameters, another which isn't nomodeset? Did you tried some acpi parameters? If not, google it and look for acpi (nolapic, acpi=off, etc...) parameters.
    I am using this parameters:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor quiet splash"
    The 3 first are to overheating problem and power-saving parameters. The last one is to work the backlight screen buttons.

It is quite weird this error is happening with you. I hope you succeed with 11.10 installation.

Try to send an email/message or report to HP asking to a new BIOS release to solve linux kernel problems. I did it a long time ago and they send me a new BIOS release in 2 weeks. Report the problem easily and nice-speaking.

Otherwise, Have you tried to google this errors? Everything works fine without the fglrx driver? I mean, with a fresh ubuntu installation (out-of-box)?

Wait a minute...
    this errors that you show us "EXT2-fs (loop1): error" stand for persistent file system problem (damaged, corrupted, etc...) Are running in an USB flash driver, right? How much space there is in this flash drive? Why don't you try to INSTALL it on your HD? Dual Boot or External HDD?? Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    Has anyone beenhaving issues with suspend? I am running a samsung series 7, and 12.6 beta fglrx. If I close the lid on the laptop, the backlight stays on (its either the backlight or keyboard light) and the system will get very hot and drain the battery in about 30 min.

opening the lid will not bring the laptop back, it's simply frozen and I need to hold down the power button.

-J
    First, make some search in google/ubuntuforums and you'll find solutions. This thread is just for Intel/AMD Hybrid Graphics
    Last edited by Niccola; June 11th, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

My machine is a hybrid graphics model which is why I posted here. The google searching I've done only returns results that deal with resuming from suspend. My laptop never gets that far. If you've found something different, please let me know.
    -J

First, make some search in google/ubuntuforums and you'll find solutions. This thread is just for Intel/AMD Hybrid Graphics

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Niccola
    Try to send an email/message or report to HP asking to a new BIOS release to solve linux kernel problems. I did it a long time ago and they send me a new BIOS release in 2 weeks. Report the problem easily and nice-speaking
    I'll try that again

Otherwise, Have you tried to google this errors? Everything works fine without the fglrx driver? I mean, with a fresh ubuntu installation (out-of-box)?
    Ubuntu without any fglrx drivers works perfectly fine with Unity 2D and Sandy Bridge graphic card

this errors that you show us "EXT2-fs (loop1): error" stand for persistent file system problem (damaged, corrupted, etc...)
    This error happened after installing fglrx drivers with aticonfig --initial -f

Are running in an USB flash driver, right? How much space there is in this flash drive? Why don't you try to INSTALL it on your HD? Dual Boot or External HDD?? Try it.
    Usb has 8GB so there is no way that I have ran out of space. Also it is maybe 2 weeks old and it cannot be damaged as everything works properly before driver update.
    Last edited by N0oki3; June 11th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hm...where exactly I have contacted live support and they couldn't help me. I'll check again and send them e-mail

Ubuntu without any fglrx drivers works perfectly fine with Unity 2D and Sandy Bridge graphic card

This error happened after installing fglrx drivers with aticonfig --initial -f

Usb has 8GB so there is no way that I have ran out of space. Also it is maybe 2 weeks old and it cannot be damaged as everything works properly before driver update.
    Did you configure the persistent space in your USB flash drive with Ubuntu?

I think the problem is the persistent space. Im not talking about your flash drive been damaged, but the fact of the Filesystem been damaged. Try to create again the USB with persistent space (at least 2GB). But, I really recommend you to install it on a HDD.

Without persistent configuration setted, everytime you reboot the system in your flash drive, the default configuration will be reloaded. So, you won't have any programs, configuration or personal files saved in each boot.
    Read more at: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/

technical information from canonical: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

and how to create a linux persistent live USB:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/65888/creat...ive-with-lili/

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I have created persistent USB properly with 7GB.

Also as I cannot send e-mail to HP into USA only into my country which only is about services. I have to find the e-mail to ask them if they can create/send me fix for switchable graphic cards.

I have had installed 4 times ubuntu on my hdd and it was same thing (no kernel error) but after aticonfig --initial -f, reboot, it said low graphic mode.

update: Pavilion G6 serie doesn't have support for switchable graphics and it won't have. On live support they can't give me e-mail nor I cannot contact HP via telephone (due to not living in USA). So I guess untill there won't be a fix in linux like in windows that it switches graphic card manually or maybe once upon a time new version of bios, I cannot use unity 3D.
    Last edited by N0oki3; June 12th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Beans

it won't work on dell vostro 3350 with radeon 6470
    but there there is a way to install catalyst control center - just simply type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    and after instalation you have to configure xorg with command:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial - f
    or
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --initial - f
    and reboot
    unfortunately driver will recognize radeon 6470 as radeon 7000 family so you gonna endup wtih really poor performance... up side is that you can switch off radeon via catalyst control center but you will loose hardware acceleration on intel 3000 and still have silly performance

so the best way to live with radeon 6470 is to simply switch it off:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    and add there before exit line
    Code:
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    and reboot
    some plp are recomending adding to rc.local additional line
    Code:
    modprobe radeon
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    and blacklisting radeon
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    and add there:
    Code:
    blacklist radeon
    after that you can turn on/off radeon with vgaswitcheroo
    Code:
    sudo echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    or
    sudo echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    but it won't affect computer performance, only heating and battery life....

if you'll get comunicate "premission denied" do that:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 705 /sys/kernel/debug
    sudo chown -R aaa:aaa /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo
    where aaa is your username

I'm still waiting for the support of the radeon 6470 for linux os's from amd....

ps to thest 3d graphics performance install glmark2:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install glmark2
    and to run it type:
    Code:
    glmark2
    after installing fglrx you will wave 10 times worsed performance than after switching off radeon in rc.local
    Last edited by ciesla.tomasz; June 13th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ciesla.tomasz View Post
    it won't work on dell vostro 3350 with radeon 6470
    but there there is a way to install catalyst control center - just simply type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    and after instalation you have to configure xorg with command:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial - f
    or
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --initial - f
    and reboot
    unfortunately driver will recognize radeon 6470 as radeon 7000 family so you gonna endup wtih really poor performance... up side is that you can switch off radeon via catalyst control center but you will loose hardware acceleration on intel 3000 and still have silly performance
    Seriously, THIS IS TOTALLY USELESS !
    Do you think we manually create the deb of fglrx for fun ?! I know we can just install fglrx via the repository but the version provided by Ubuntu is already outdated. YOU DO NEED TO USE THE LATEST VERSION !

Page 29 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast