Page 21 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Beans

Thank you for the reply above. My other problem is in fact related to a known problem, helas, of hdparm, which causes the hard disk to spin up and down every few seconds. It is not only annoying but potentially dangerous for the hard disk. Apparently, there has been a 'fix' but in vein. Still waiting for a fix from Ubuntu or Linus Torvalds (it is a kernel issue).

Cheers

Beans

I just tried this on my ThinkPad EDGE e520, and it worked like a charm I didn't need to reinstall from scratch or anything, I just did a web-update from ubuntu 11.10, and then followed the howto in the first post. 3D acceleration works with both integrated and discrete GPU, VGA output works as well (I haven't tried HDMI yet). And, most importantly for me, OpenCL works when the discrete GPU is selected.
    Thanks very much for this thread Without it, I probably would have spent countless hours trying to make this work

Beans

Hello!

I have this problem and I hope someone can help me out here.

I have an ATI 6770m and an Intel chip. The installation for the driver went smoothly and without any problems. The thing is Unity3D doesn't work with the integrated Intel chip. I truely did it the same way as it was explained. Here is my configuration:

HTML Code:
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then
      if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then
        LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
        if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then
    	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
        fi
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      fi
    fi
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    What could have went wrong? Tell me if you need any further information!

I would be glad if someone could help me

Beans

are you sure you installed ubuntu 64-bit?

Quote Originally Posted by shinylenin View Post
    Hello!

I have this problem and I hope someone can help me out here.

I have an ATI 6770m and an Intel chip. The installation for the driver went smoothly and without any problems. The thing is Unity3D doesn't work with the integrated Intel chip. I truely did it the same way as it was explained. Here is my configuration:

HTML Code:
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri
    if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then
      if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then
        LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
        if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then
    	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
        fi
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      fi
    fi
    export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
    What could have went wrong? Tell me if you need any further information!

I would be glad if someone could help me

Beans

[QUOTE=brshadow;11886416]And please explain me what is MUXED cards and how do i find out if i have one ?

MUXED the "MUX" is a kind of SWITH, key, you have in your computer.
    Where you can change the cards. Is almost like to change your computer card.
    You in fact do have 2 complete video cards inside computer. DIS and IGD.

Because this you need to restart your computer.
    when you are with your IGD card. You can install the IGD program/driver like a standard and unique card.

When you are with DIS card ( in case Catalyst ) your system behave like have a standard and single amd card.

Because this you can install catalyst the standard way. Just when switch back to DIS card and using xorg.conf need to change/remove this to.

BUT in most cases if you are not using xorg.conf. with muxed cards. The ubuntu will identify and work well since for the system, seems just one card working.

The muxles card. By other side. The computer have only one video card output where the 2 CPUS are plugged ( Ok, the more technical will write in case, just exist the IGD card where the DIS are plugged, but no need this technical here to explain).

There is the trouble.
    the linux identify both cards processors and load the modules and turn on both. But we ( in amd case) don't have the TRIGGER that speak the system WHAT CPU is using the output card to monitor.

Some computers, like hp, envy 13, 14, dv4, dv5, dv6, dv7 and others do have the OUTPUT set-up by default using the DIS card. OR. they have an advanced bios menu where they can switch this output ( similar the muxed ones).

This ones are lucky. Because the CATALYST driver LOAD the module and know the output to monitor.

But who are not lucky in have this bios option or the bios by default are set-up to be the IGD. When we load our graphics. Everything is well. Until the driver module request the output and didn't find it ( what we have in xorg.log of no EDP found).

By default. All, 6xxx series from AMD are muxless and old ones no.

BUT.....

Some cards in some brands are exotic. Muxles act like muxed ones and muxed ones act like muxles.

EXAMPLE are APPLE ones. That muxless or muxed. They use a specific mux chip inside computer. APPLE SPECIFIC.
    And some dell ones. Seems have something similar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by analyzer123 View Post
    I don't think you're completely correct. vgaswitcheroo does not work in Sony VAIO S-series laptops but the steps mentioned here do make the switchable graphics work correctly.

the 'magic' is really in AMD writing excellent drivers to support their version of switchable graphics in linux.
    I'm not 100% correct because I never tested all computers.
    but until now, all tests i do with computers ( and was a lot). All ones that work with vgaswitcheroo worked with catalyst. All one that worked with catalyst worked with standard amd drivers. All ones that have troubles with vgaswitcheroo didn't work with catalyst.

I'm 100% correct? no. There is crazy hardware's with crazy set-ups around there.

one point vgaswitcheroo does not work if you have the catalyst working.

second point, if not work, try to load the standard amd driver in ubuntu using xorg.conf.

The point is.
    AMD is not DOING MAGIc to suport this.

AGAIN.

Who are lucky of do this work. Or have the bios option to switch the card output in BIOS, or the bios option are set-up by default to DIS.

All others ones that the BIOS come locked and set-up by default to IGD ( the default by the technical papers), Catalyst just doesn't know how to trigger this. Like the same driver in windows do very well.

now AMD release a new kind of MUXLESS cards. Our only hope are the open source driver. Because I doubt AMd will maintain for long the old muxles cards.

Beans

I was working on my system but I couldn't find a solution. Therefore I made a new install and now everything works perfectly.

Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by shinylenin; May 1st, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

Beans

dude, its AMD's driver which is working here to support switchable graphics! so the magic is from AMD's side, no body else. Even with windows drivers - its AMD's graphics drivers which implement the switching, not Intel.

BIOS option to switch is old tech. Most of the new laptops have dynamic switching, where you dont have to do any kind of reboot or login/logout to switch. So there is no 'default' card.

Quote Originally Posted by wegah View Post
    I'm not 100% correct because I never tested all computers.
    but until now, all tests i do with computers ( and was a lot). All ones that work with vgaswitcheroo worked with catalyst. All one that worked with catalyst worked with standard amd drivers. All ones that have troubles with vgaswitcheroo didn't work with catalyst.

I'm 100% correct? no. There is crazy hardware's with crazy set-ups around there.

one point vgaswitcheroo does not work if you have the catalyst working.

second point, if not work, try to load the standard amd driver in ubuntu using xorg.conf.

The point is.
    AMD is not DOING MAGIc to suport this.

AGAIN.

Who are lucky of do this work. Or have the bios option to switch the card output in BIOS, or the bios option are set-up by default to DIS.

All others ones that the BIOS come locked and set-up by default to IGD ( the default by the technical papers), Catalyst just doesn't know how to trigger this. Like the same driver in windows do very well.

now AMD release a new kind of MUXLESS cards. Our only hope are the open source driver. Because I doubt AMd will maintain for long the old muxles cards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by analyzer123 View Post
    dude, its AMD's driver which is working here to support switchable graphics! so the magic is from AMD's side, no body else. Even with windows drivers - its AMD's graphics drivers which implement the switching, not Intel.

BIOS option to switch is old tech. Most of the new laptops have dynamic switching, where you dont have to do any kind of reboot n/logout to switch. So there is no 'default' card.

YET there is a lot about INTEL and how the BIOS are set-up.

Here you have a fast understand of HOW a muxless from AMD work ( not being more technical to become easy).

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_p.../r3dbaco08.jpg

There you understand that in THEORY we have just one complete VIDEO CARD Hardware, The INTEL ONE ( in our case of IGD are intel, because exist a muxless not use intel, but ati + ati).

The amd in practice just have the acceleration PROCESSOR. That use all HARDWARE from IGD card.

The switch from one to another. Is done in a very easy way of understand. Bridging the output hardware and disabling one or other card.

This default use of OUTPUT HARDWARE is a logic things not a PHYSIC one.

Then when the manufacturer BUILD your computer and write the BIOS. they decide "WHAT CARD WILL HAVE THE HARDWARE OUTPUT TRIGGERED by default"

And all BIOSES already have this switch of the default OUTPUT. But some manufacturers just crypt the bios and do not allow us to change this. This bios switch is not to do the CARD CHOICE. Like MUXED ones. But what one have the logic enabled by default.

Easy to test this. ( i'm to use HP or MSI example, because is more easy to me).

Go there in Bios.. enter in ADVANCED MENU. If you are lucky of HP allow you do it. ( this is for muxless ones, another brands of computers do have another keys for advanced menu).

almost all dv5, dv6, dv7, envy 13, 14, 15m 17 first generation work with this)
    1. Shutdown your computer completely
    2. Power on and hit 'esc' to enter the boot menu.
    3. Now press F10 immediately followed by the key "A". you have to press "A" after you press F10 and before you are in bios setup screen.
    4. You are now in advanced bios setup. You should see additional tabs and new options.

Now turn by default logic output the AMD card. And use this metod from forum. Will work like a charm.

Now with your card working under linux. Got to advanced menu again and turn the advanced logic output to integrate one.

BANG. Your computer do not start anymore with AMD.

WHY?

Because your hardware are LOGICALLY SET-UP to make the discrete card use the default monitor output patch. Then the AMD didn't find this "HARDWARE" output and halt ( and the message of

"
    No devices detected.
    Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    "
    )

this message is exactly this. The KERNEL was loaded. The driver was loaded and working. BUT the card do not have a output to monitor and crash.

Actually, The AMD kernel driver do not work the same way in windows.
    Under windows. The AMD catalyst do this swith being your bios setup to default output patch DIS or IGD. Linux no, who have this working are LUCKY.

Now AMd is changing the PowerXpress/Bacon muxless system to a new one called AMD Enduro. So we will be more in trouble. We need to wait until the open source ones start to support this muxless cards because is obvious AMD will soon treat us like a OLD CARD.

Here we can have a little more about.
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...ybrid-graphics

"
    MUXed (with multiplexers, “switchable graphics”)
    Every output has a multiplexer that both the integrated (IGP) and discrete GPU’s are connected to and depending on the workload the GPU is switched to the more appropriate GPU.
    There are several downsides to this method of implementation [1]:
    * Manual mode changes - the user is required to make the change herself.
    * Transition time - mode change can take several seconds.
    * User Experience - The GPU switch results in screen flicker.
    * Increased cost - due to the need of hardware multiplexers.
    The user experience of this method of Hybrid Graphics is not that great even on Windows, due to aforementioned issues in addition to “blocking apps” which reserve the hardware and prevent switching until closed.
    "

"

MUXless
    In this implementation the video output is routed via the integrated (IGP) chipset and the more intense graphics work is offloaded to the discrete GPU.
    The benefits of this implementation are:
    * Possible to automatically enable/disable the discrete GPU
    * Near-instant transition time
    * No screen flicker
    * Less complex/expensive hardware support
    "

"

Some machines allow selecting between the integrated graphics (IGP) and the discrete GPU from the BIOS, however most ‘low-cost’ implementations do not.
    "

THEN MY POINT, SOME EXPENSIVE ONES LIKE HP ENVY O NOT TO, TO HELL HP
    "

"

MUXed Configurations
    For Intel and Radeon open-source drivers there is an interface available called “vga_switcheroo” which does provide the ability to “switch”between integrated and discrete GPUs. This does still require a restart of the X server, resulting in a flawed user-experience. Lastly there has been mention of forthcoming Nouveau support within vga_switcheroo [3].
    The AMD Catalyst driver has no official support, though scripts have been provided to perform the switching and mucking with the mesa/fglrx libGL flavors. This implementation similarly requires a X server restart.
    "

"

NOTES:
    Problems:
    - binary drivers do not coexist with builtin graphics well
    - installing the binary drivers commits you to the discrete graphics
    - sometimes outputs are only available via the discrete grahics (which may not be in use) - would like the Displays GUI to indicate possibly *why* they are not available (or at least that any but the suppored outputs ones are not available). Also, the GUI should show pictures of the socket types to help less techincal users.
    "

The fault is not just from AMD.
    There is more under all this troubles. There is a problem with EGO's from X developers, AMD developers, OPEN SOURCE driver developers, KERNEL developers.

There is to, troubles with how the kernel work with binaries and licenses and HOW the drivers can be integrated.

Page 21 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast