Thread: Thunderbird search not working

Beans

Thunderbird search not working

Hi all,

Whenever I search for something in Thunderbird, it now always returns zero results, no matter what I search for.

It used to work fine; trouble is, I can't remember whether this problem started when I moved to Thunderbird 10 recently. Is there anything anyone can suggest?

Am on 11.10, FWIW.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Thunderbird search not working

Try opening your Home/Thunderbird/Profiles/(random).default folder and backup then delete the file global-messages-db.sqlite, and then restart Thunderbird. Wait a few minutes for the indexing to complete. Then try search.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

I've renamed the file, and then restarted Ubuntu. Thunderbird creates a new file, but doesn't seem to do anything to suggest it's re-indexing anything.

Is there anything else I can try?

Beans
    Hidden!

1. Quit Thunderbird
    2. Locate your global-messages-db.sqlite file. Mine is in:
    Home/Thunderbird/Profiles/cblcq8lr.default
    3. Rename (or delete) both global-messages-db.sqlite and global-messages-db.sqlite.journal
    4. Restart Thunderbird
    5. Reindexing begins (may take sometime dependent on the amount of mail you have.)
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase

Beans

Thanks for not giving up, jtarin!

Ok - I have a global-messages-db.sqlite file, but not a global-messages-db.sqlite.journal

At least - I've searched within the Thunderbird folder, and it picks up the first, but not the second..?

Beans
    Hidden!

Try using Thunderbird Conversations . When you first install Thunderbird Conversations it re-indexes your messages. It also provides a way to repeat this on demand.

Tools -> Add-Ons -> Extensions -> Thunderbird Conversations -> Preferences -> Start the setup assistant -> Apply changes

If you click Review changes before clicking Apply changes, you'll see that the following are checked:

Make sure Global Search and Indexer is enabled.
    Re-index messages containing attachments as well as all Mozilla bugmail.

After doing so you can monitor progress with Tools -> Activity Manager
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase

Beans

Still no dice I actually really like conversations view, but it shows no evidence of any indexing, no matter how many times I tell it to do it. Still no search results no matter what I search for...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by iangarforth View Post
    Still no dice I actually really like conversations view, but it shows no evidence of any indexing, no matter how many times I tell it to do it. Still no search results no matter what I search for...
    I had the same issue, after deleting "global-messages-db.sqlite" and "global-messages-db.sqlite.journal" and restarting thunderbird the search still did not run. What I did was
    right-clicking on the inbox, select "compact" let it run throu and afterwards it should work.