Thread: DPKG Error!

Beans

DPKG Error!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and first off I'd like to apologize for making my first post a plee for help but I'm really stuck. Thanks in advance to anyone that'll try and help me!!!

Ever since my last update, I've never been able to update/install anything again.
    Whenever I try to, I get this error message:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Reading database ... 55%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    failed in buffer_read(fd) : files list for package 'oxygen-icon-theme' : Input/
    output error
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've heard from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1232143 is that you can fix this by navigating to /var/lib/dpkg and delete the offending part of the status file out.

This person says you can just edit the status file, but for me "status" shows up as "Owner: Root , Access: Read & Write". I'm unable to edit this because I don't know how to change my permissions.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this error, or at least tell me the terminal commands that'll allow me to edit the file?

THANK-YOU SO MUCH!!!

p.s. I'm using 10.04 Lucid
    Last edited by AnotherCupOfCoffee; February 23rd, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: DPKG Error!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCupOfCoffee View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and first off I'd like to apologize for making my first post a plee for help but I'm really stuck. Thanks in advance to anyone that'll try and help me!!!

Ever since my last update, I've never been able to update/install anything again.
    Whenever I try to, I get this error message:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Reading database ... 55%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    failed in buffer_read(fd) : files list for package 'oxygen-icon-theme' : Input/
    output error
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've heard from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1232143 is that you can fix this by navigating to /var/lib/dpkg and delete the offending part of the status file out.

This person says you can just edit the status file, but for me "status" shows up as "Owner: Root , Access: Read & Write". I'm unable to edit this because I don't know how to change my permissions.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this error, or at least tell me the terminal commands that'll allow me to edit the file?

THANK-YOU SO MUCH!!!

p.s. I'm using 10.04 Lucid
    Code:
    sudo gedit <place path to your file here >
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it out - and to the first guy, thanks for the suggestion but I already mentioned that thread in my post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    Code:
    sudo gedit <place path to your file here >
    Just did that, it let me edit and save. Following this guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1232143

I'm supposed to do this next: Run: "sudo dpkg dpkg --configure -a"

When I entered that exact thing in terminal, I got this message:

------------------------------------------------------------
    dpkg: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages[*];
    Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
    Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
    Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
    Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
    Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL)[*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Beans

UPDATE: NEVERMIND! There was a typo:

This is what you're supposed to type: dpkg --configure -a

It installed fine!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi thats good news . So now what about your original issue ? is it solved ? if so please mark the thread as solved from thread tools .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.