Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which programming language

Beans

Which programming language

Hello everyone.
    I'm looking at getting back into programing so I would like options on which language would be a good starting point. I have experience in machine language, assembly, FORTRAN, COBOL, and basic. Please see the attached pic, as that will be my first project. That program is a Windows EXE written in Java I believe. I would like to write it for Linux and then port it to my android phone. I am running Ubuntu 10.10. I just want the basic clock for now, don't need all buttons along the top yet. That can be done later.

Many thanks all.....
    magpie

*NOTE* I've just looked over previous post and seem some good answers, but as I have a specific project in mind maybe someone could narrow it down.

Many thanks again all...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Which programming language

C for programs that need to be fast.
    Java for complicated programs.
    Python for non trivial scripts.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If your goal is to have it on the Android phone, you'll need to end up using Java and the Android Development Kit (ADK). Just because Android uses the Linux kernel doesn't mean that apps are easily portable from Linux. If you don't really need it for Linux, then you'd be better off working directly on Android because developing for Android is unique.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I'm really liking Ruby right now: it handles a lot automatically that Java requires the coder to manage. But for Android apps, Java is the standard (Objective C for iPhone). I recently read Android Apps for Dummies which is really good if a bit sloppy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magpie03 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I'm looking at getting back into programing so I would like options on which language would be a good starting point. I have experience in machine language, assembly, FORTRAN, COBOL, and basic. Please see the attached pic, as that will be my first project. That program is a Windows EXE written in Java I believe. I would like to write it for Linux and then port it to my android phone. I am running Ubuntu 10.10. I just want the basic clock for now, don't need all buttons along the top yet. That can be done later.

Many thanks all.....
    magpie

*NOTE* I've just looked over previous post and seem some good answers, but as I have a specific project in mind maybe someone could narrow it down.

Many thanks again all...........
    FORTRAN COBAL?? LOL did you program on dos?

try c for back end basic file system. there is obviously apache to get local host running for .net framework. html which uses tags. umm, I think C now uses classes so it's c++. I'm not a great programmer myself but remember c code is compiled to read the binary, so upper c I think addresses binary. There is python don't know much about it but man is it simple.

so you are aware of defined arguments? This is about as far as I've gotten, had some hello world files written and a few compiled in about every programming language including python. Nothing too intense, I would have uploaded them but deleted them. Man is ubuntu the right OS to use for you if you are interested in programming

Beans

Python if you need to learn a new programming language very fast. But if you need to port your application to Android so use Java.

Beans

Errr... why would Ubuntu be bad for programming?

Beans

bad? who said bad? the binary is open source

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Programming Talk.
    Last edited by lisati; February 22nd, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    bad? who said bad? the binary is open source
    Ah -- I misinterpreted you comment (which was generally lacking in punctuation). I see what you meant now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast