Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Beans

Re: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Hello rtg,

is it possible, that you add a ppa for the new pangolin ubuntu 12.04? I would be very interested to add UPnP capability to rhythmbox.

Thanks in advance.

Sindbad6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

Hi sinbad6! Just try it. rtg has not been posting for a while, it is a pity.

Unfortunately I have not seen any sign of UPnP in rhythmbox 2.96 in Ubuntu 12.04 .

Is there hope for the hopeless?

Beans

I have the grilo plugin working in Ubuntu 12.04 (the plugin seems to have some issues/bugs, but I have not tried newer versions...) and here is what I did:

sudo apt-get build-dep rhythmbox

Get rhythmbox source code 2.96 from here: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/2.96/

Extract the rhythmbox-2.96.tar.xz file and go into that folder.

./configure

Clear up any errors the configure complains about, and repeat ./configure as many times as necessary to get a good configure.

make

There are two files: grilo.plugin and libgrilo.so -- to see these do:

cd grilo
    ls
    ls .libs

I did not use make install at this point, I just created a folder in the existing rhythmbox installation, and put both files in that folder:

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins/grilo
    sudo cp grilo.plugin /usr/lib/rhtythmbox/plugins/grilo/
    sudo cp .libs/libgrilo.so /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins/grilo/

Check to see that the two files are there:

ls /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins/grilo

You may want to run rhythmbox at first from a terminal in order to monitor any error messages, then in RhythmBox menu Edit -> Plugins -> Grilo media browser, check it. My DLNA server name (via minidlna) is listed in the Shared section of the RhythmBox browser window pane.

The only issue I am having with it is if I stop using it and stream from some other source in RhythmBox, and then come back to it, it hangs and won't browse anymore. If I Quit out of RhythmBox and come back in it works again.
    CPU: 80286 @ 10Mhz; FPU: n/a; RAM: 256K, HD: 20 Meg
    Graphics: Monochrome; Power Supply: 100 W; Case: Yes/Open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm using a pretty clean install of Precise (3.2.0-26-generic-pae #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 16:45:14 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux) on a Macbook 2,1. Rhythmbox 'sees' my DLNA server which is a MyBookLive with "Public" shares of music enabled - the device appears in the Shared list in the left hand pane of Rhythmbox.
    It works just fine (apart from if you bash it hard!)
    I checked for plugins with
    $ sudo apt-cache policy coherence* and $ sudo apt-cache policy grilo*
    - nothing is installed.
    Maybe Rhythmbox 'just works' with DLNA devices out of the box on Precise? I'd be curious to know why though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: How to enable Grilo UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox?

@billstei: Thanks for the instructions. Did you uninstall the default rhythmbox 2.96 of Ubuntu 12.04?
    I hoped I can download the source and transfer only the plugin, but you need to build/configure the plugin as well ...

@m3topaz: That is really interesting. Do you see a plugin grilo, any UPnP/DLNA configuration possibility?

I have upgraded to rhythmbox 2.97 via PPA, but no UPnP/DLNA configuration seen.

Beans

I am using RhythmBox 2.96 and the issue I noted above might have been with MiniDLNA, because when I tried PS3MediaServer I did not have the same trouble browsing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@billstei: Thanks for the update. Did you uninstall the default rhythmbox 2.96 of Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans

@tellapu - I have not changed the default install of Rhythmbox 2.96 in Ubuntu 12.04 or uninstalled it, other than adding the plugin directory/files as noted above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is even easier:
    http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/24...np-dlna-client

It worked for me. Although I just realized that it does not share the rhythmbox data to other UPnP/DLNA clients, but rather to play play music from other uPnP sources. Sayang!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12