Thread: Thunderbird Lightning: Not a thing appears...

Beans

Thunderbird Lightning: Not a thing appears...

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Lightning into Thunderbird, as I'd like to integrate my Google Cals in, and I gather it does task management too..?

I've installed it through Ubuntu Software Centre, but nothing appears at all. Thunderbird still continues to run and looks like nothing's changed, and Ubuntu Software Centre continues to tell me that Lightning's installed.

Am I missing something? How do I see the actual calendar? When I go the File > New > etc, there's no option for calendar there...

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderbird Lightning: Not a thing appears...

Hi,

If its installed into Thunderbird you should have a menu call 'Events and Tasks' on the main menu bar. Under this menu you can open the calendar.

If it's not there go to Tools | Add-ons and see if Lightning appears on the list.

Beans

I don't have 'Events and Tasks', and it doesn't appear in the list.

It does say that Lightning isn't compatible with Thunderbird 9.0. Is this what the problem is? Searching the internet seems to suggest there are quite a lot of people out there who ARE using it with 9.0..?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I've never used the Software Centre to install Lightning. I usually install Lightning by downloading the correct version of Lightning for my Thunderbird from:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...don/lightning/

If you have Thunderbird 9 then I believe you need Lightning version 1.1.1

This will download a xpi file. Then in Thunderbird I go to Tools | Add-ons and use the Install... button (bottom left in the dialog). Browse to where you downloaded the file and select it. Thunderbird should do the rest including restarting Thunderbird so that the Lightning becomes enabled.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Brilliant, thank you. yes, I went back through the archives, found v1.1.1, and it installed sweet as a nut.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Excellent. Any chance you can mark this thread as solved? If you did not already know, there is a link near the top right of the page called Thread Tools and you can use that to mark a thread solved, thanks.