Page 28 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Beans

Re: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

The default blocklist is definitely messed up. I changed mine to the following:
    BLOCKLISTS="ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n level1 level2 Microsoft spyware "

and now I get 163,405 ranges instead of 2023.

How come it doesn't block the default ranges it used to?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeldaley View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to add the Debian repository which has what the dependency is looking for, install it the old way and then delete that repository? Just a thought, I'm somewhat new to linux and still learning.

I added these:
    deb ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    deb-src ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

and then installed moblock, I ignored the auto update icon, and then I took them out of my list.
    Nice, never thought about that... thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    Then i would say you're learning fast. Good initiative. This is one way to get around it, even though ubuntu has it's own version of libc, probably for some reason. This way, you can't blame ubuntu if your computer becomes unstable in any way, but i guess that can be said of just about any software

Code:
    moblock-nfq: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 is to be installed
    I installed that way the latest version in Edgy and everything works just fine!

Can you add that in your first message, if someone wants to add the latest version in Edgy?

Beans

Those deb files are only if you are installing fresh in to edgy right.. i have dapper and i installed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the debian source way is the fastest and the most risky one, but it does work

Beans

I don't think it's risky, I've been stable for the past week and Moblock is running great. Just make sure that if you try this method, you must remove the deb sources before running Ubuntu's update feature (because just about every file in these sources is a higher version than Ubuntu uses). This should work for dapper too.

Change your blocklist too, I don't think moblock's default works anymore. It should read:
    BLOCKLISTS="ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n level1 level2 Microsoft spyware "

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by forger View Post
    the debian source way is the fastest and the most risky one, but it does work
    Honestly, I would never add an official debian repo to your ubuntu sources.list.. If it installs libc6 you might get away fine for now, but when you try to upgrade ubuntu while your using external packages, then you might get a big list of errors. It might work now, but break later on, I would not suggest using the debian sources.list period. Its asking for trouble, the files i posted a few weeks ago work fine, and get the job done, there is absolutely no need in upgrading to the latest and greatest release of moblock-nfq, the only change was a dep that fixed debian installs, and broke ubuntu installs.. I hope those of you who might have installed the debian sources dont end up with problems later on down the road. I'm just posting my two sense worth, its just not good practice, and a lot of people don't need to get in the habit of doing things like that. sorry for the long paste, just concerned

Beans

I agree that installing moblock from Debian repo is not a good idea. lib6c is one of the libraries after all. Saying that I have to admit that I lived with Debian's libraries on Hoary without any major issues.

I tried to build moblock from source but failed in doing it. To build it you need two development libraries: libnetfilter-queue and libnfnetlink, which are not in Ubuntu. So I put the source repo in my sources.list:
    Code:
    deb-src ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    and did the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep libnfnetlink
    apt-get source libnfnetlink
    cd libnfnetlink-0.0.16
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    But it the end it was not built:
    Code:
    touch install-stamp
    dh_testdir -i
    dh_testdir: I have no package to build
    make: *** [binary-indep] Error 1
    Any idea why it that?
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

Hi,

I used pelle.k's temporary solution to install moblock on edgy. But I have the bad feeling, that the block-lists don't update daily. I was browsing through my log-files (auth.log etc) and only found those updates I did manually (sudo /etc/cron.daily/moblock-nfq). My manual updates always download new lists.

So, there are a few questions:

a) How can I find out, if the updates work?

b) If they don't work, what did I possibly do wrong and what can be done?

If you need more data, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

yours,
    moopoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the one installed from debs, but it seems to be killing my internet connection - at least it seems to be connected -

I have a terminal open all the time with the tail command so I can track what it's blocking in real time...

starting the computer everythng works as normal, HOWEVER from time to time I get to the office (i.e. every two to three days) and the computer is not connected to the internet I can't get any pings or anything, and the terminal with the tail command shows that moblock has just been updated ---- is it moblock or maybe cron and is it even at all connected I just don't know, but I could really use some help on the subject.

Through ifconfig I see that the network adapter is still correctly configured with the static IP and I even tried ifconfig down and up again, but nothing changes - I need to REBOOT (not just restart X) to get net again....

PLEASE HELP!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lp7413 View Post
    Honestly, I would never add an official debian repo to your ubuntu sources.list.. If it installs libc6 you might get away fine for now, but when you try to upgrade ubuntu while your using external packages, then you might get a big list of errors.
    Nobody every suggested leaving that deb in the source list, in fact the importance of removing it after installation was stated several times.

Page 28 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast