Thread: Can't launch ubuntu or lubuntu and load it because of black screens.

Beans

Angry Can't launch ubuntu or lubuntu and load it because of black screens.

I bought a new hp dm4-2191us laptop as my old laptop has done the same thing as the new laptop since ubuntu 10.04.

I bought the hp dm4 and a seperate 320gb hard drive. Took out the windows hard drive after Win7 had all it's updates and tried to load ubuntu 11.10 with the new 320gb hard drive.

Tried the ubuntu 64bit desktop, lubuntu 64bit alternate and lubuntu 32bit alternate. I usually get to the screen on 64bit desktop to try, load, check memory. Every option it goes to the black screen or locks up. The 64bit lubuntu did not let me any farther. The 32bit did let me run the check for the cd, it did let me load it, but after loading upon reboot with cd removed it would only go to a black screen, or lockup, or whatever it is doing that it does not want me to know. After I get off here I am going to take this monitor and hook it up to the laptop and see if I am getting any vga out and just no usable content to the onboard screen.

If it is the video driver and I am unable to get to a screen on the dm4, how am I to fix it? The dm4 did run Win7 fine and was able to update and network ok with Win7.

I also have a Gateway 9550 that will run up to Ubuntu 9.10. I would like to get it running with lubuntu after I get the hp fixed. The gateway will not even show the load, scan screen for lubuntu 32.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Can't launch ubuntu or lubuntu and load it because of black screens.

This may help -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=35

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread

Rodney

Beans

Re: Can't launch ubuntu or lubuntu and load it because of black screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    This may help -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=35

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread

Rodney
    This was happening with Ubuntu 64bit desktop, Lubuntu 64bit desktop, and Lubuntu 64bit alternate.

I found if I opened and closed the notebook the screen would then recive output. I would also get output to the external VGA without haveing to open and close the notebook. I am still having to open and close the notebook anytime I guess it wants to turn on the screen saver.

Thanks for the reply though, I found it really helpful.