Thread: If it ain't broke...

Beans

Question If it ain't broke...

I'm up and running without any real serious issues, just a bunch of minor annoyances. For example, when I power-up the computer, I need to push the power button three times for everything to boot as it should. If I don't do this, sometimes I get stuck at the GRUB menu. Sometime the "Purple Haze". So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, maybe I need to update the BIOS and see if that helps. My current BIOS is American Megatrends ver 1.11 which was released in 2004. What do you gurus out there think? Update it or leave it alone since it DOES work!?

Beans

Re: If it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by VetteGuy95 View Post
    I'm up and running without any real serious issues, just a bunch of minor annoyances. For example, when I power-up the computer, I need to push the power button three times for everything to boot as it should. If I don't do this, sometimes I get stuck at the GRUB menu. Sometime the "Purple Haze". So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, maybe I need to update the BIOS and see if that helps. My current BIOS is American Megatrends ver 1.11 which was released in 2004. What do you gurus out there think? Update it or leave it alone since it DOES work!?
    I am no guru but I would say, leave it alone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: If it ain't broke...

If there is a more recent BIOS update available there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't flash the BIOS.

I am a big fan of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,' but in this case, the latest BIOS can help your computer cope with more modern hardware (and software demands) and a bunch of other things (enhance stability, performance to name a couple).

There is no guarantee an outdated BIOS version is causing your crashing problems, though.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 15th, 2012 at 01:18 AM.